Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Factorio - a factory building game

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
"There was once a beautiful forest here, before The Destroyer arrived..."

047453ffd2.png

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I think they dropped the ball with the endgame.

It should be stickied as an example of an over hyped game!

If you shoehorn enough unprompted whingeing into this thread, then Wube will surely take notice and add the console platformer-style final UFO boss fight that's clearly missing from this alien combat simulator.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
If you shoehorn enough unprompted whingeing into this thread, then Wube will surely take notice and add the console platformer-style final UFO boss fight that's clearly missing from this alien combat simulator.
If you are happy with the game as it is, why aren't you busy building endlessly? And then doing the same in Minecraft, Terraria, SimCity, Cities Skylines, Banished, Forts, Transport Tycoon, Farmville, Gnomoria, Timber & Stone, Towns, Miaia, Rimworld, Stonehearth, and the million other dimwit building games with no endgame?

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
"Hey man it's been snowing pretty heavily these past few days, wanna go sledding down the hill?"
"Okay, but what's the endgame?"
"...what?"
"Like do we get to the bottom then have to fight a snowman or what?"
"No dude, you go down the hill, then if you want you can go back up and do it again"
"But what's at the end?"
"...Nevermind, I'll see you later"

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
If you are happy with the game as it is, why aren't you busy building endlessly? And then doing the same in Minecraft, Terraria, SimCity, Cities Skylines, Banished, Forts, Transport Tycoon, Farmville, Gnomoria, Timber & Stone, Towns, Miaia, Rimworld, Stonehearth, and the million other dimwit building games with no endgame?

Well you see, I'm capable of self-direction and self-determination, and I don't require a destination in order to enjoy the journey. I can decide for myself when I've had enough of freeform/sandbox games with no clearly-defined end, and then turn them off for a year or two (or permanently, if I've had my fill).

It's obvious I'm not going to get through to you here because you're an obsessed idiot, but for the record, you're deluded. Factorio is essentially a freeform logistics puzzle game, yet you think that mocking someone for "simple-minded building" is a sick burn. Yes Anvi, clearly holding down spacebar and pressing Tab to shoot aliens is the intellectually superior pursuit and ought to be the main driving force and purpose of the game. Only plebeian fools could possibly believe that the purpose of the alien menace is to restrict expansion, deny access to resources, put pressure on production, provide consequences for overreaching, add a sense of danger to the world, and present an additional dynamic logistic/strategic layer outside of the player's control that must be taken into account at all times.

No, the game should be about shooting aliens and it obviously needs to have a final Michael Bay-style confrontation in outer space. Otherwise, solving logistics puzzles is totally pointless! You're too right, old top. I'll stop playing the game immediately. You've helped me to see the light.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
1.5 is out btw

What tipped you off? The last two pages of this thread featuring screenshots and discussion of the newest version? :hero:

Current version is 0.15.4 experimental.

Burpelson AFB is coming along nicely, but it won't be too many more hours until we outgrow it....

d5911d4c38.png

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Man, high tech science packs are a bitch to produce in large quantities. So many blue circuits...

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It's obvious I'm not going to get through to you here because you're an obsessed idiot, but for the record, you're deluded. Factorio is essentially a freeform logistics puzzle game, yet you think that mocking someone for "simple-minded building" is a sick burn.
But it isn't. There is not much of a puzzle. You just fit stuff together like a jigsaw for 5 year olds. I did that and launched a rocket in less than a week of play. Cry all you want but some people have higher standards than you.

Yes Anvi, clearly holding down spacebar and pressing Tab to shoot aliens is the intellectually superior pursuit
But that's the whole problem. They pretend to have tower defense mechanics in the game and added aliens that attack, walls that shape their path and towers that shoot them down. But they haven't developed it beyond holding spacebar to shoot everything. Why would you admit that it sucks yet bitch at someone who wants it to be better? I mean, besides being an argumentative dimwit.

"Hey man it's been snowing pretty heavily these past few days, wanna go sledding down the hill?"
"Okay, but what's the endgame?"
"I am a grown man that like sledding all day. "

Are there any Mods that turn this into Earth 2150 strategy game? 3 factions fighting for resources to get of the doomed planet. If you cant build the shuttles fast enough the whole planet explodes with you caught in it.
Some good mods are coming but you gotta wait a few weeks for Bob to make it happen. But having games like this reach their logical conclusion is an uphill battle because the majority of players don't even care, they are morons like Blaine who just want more Farmville.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
But it isn't. There is not much of a puzzle. You just fit stuff together like a jigsaw for 5 year olds. I did that and launched a rocket in less than a week of play. Cry all you want but some people have higher standards than you.

Ah yes, the great genius is simply too smart for Factorio and all of the logistical puzzles are very easy. That's kids' stuff. He needs something adult and prestigious, like more elaborate shoot 'em up mechanics and additional boss fights.

But that's the whole problem. They pretend to have tower defense mechanics in the game and added aliens that attack, walls that shape their path and towers that shoot them down. But they haven't developed it beyond holding spacebar to shoot everything. Why would you admit that it sucks yet bitch at someone who wants it to be better? I mean, besides being an argumentative dimwit.

It's not a problem, and it doesn't need to be improved. Shooting aliens is one small aspect of Factorio, it's not the point of the game, the developers in fact don't present the game as a tower defense game, and only an idiot would mistake it for one.

Tower defense is one of the most cancerous, casual sub-genres imaginable. You want to talk about games for 5-year-olds? Tower defense is an excellent example. Literal 5-year-olds play tower defense games. I got bored of them years ago after playing a few, and feel ashamed that I didn't realize how cancerous they were sooner.

"I am a grown man that like sledding all day. "

We all spend too much time playing computer games here. How retarded can you be?

Norfleet

The endgame isn't about killing aliens, the endgame is about teaching your factory to sing:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
You're definitely one in a million in the sense that you're the millionth newfag to bumble around the Codex trying to establish your gaming cred, shitting on any game that doesn't precisely cater to his very specific personal preferences, and obliquely bragging about complete nonsense.

All newfags go through this transitional period, but you've definitely set yourself apart with the sheer display of delusional "comebacks" and false analogies in this thread. Comparing Factorio to the Sims because I've ridiculed you for needing the game to tell you when it's over with and provide an arbitrary final confrontation is just laughable. If you had any actually good ideas for improving the endgame, that would be one thing, but your ideas are garbage.

Meanwhile, you express your admiration for casual shovelware like tower defense games, and for FortressCraft Evolved, which is essentially a clunky, store-brand 3D Factorio/Minecraft ripoff featuring tower defense cancer. I played FCE to tide me over until the vastly superior Factorio hit update 0.15. Twenty years from now, people will still be playing Factorio, but no one will remember FCE, and for good reason. Hell, hardly anyone realizes it exists now.

Did you know that there are 303 tower defense games listed on Steam, and that 131 of those actually have the "Casual" tag? Realistically, most of the rest of them also deserve the tag, but the average person's bar for what qualifies as casual is a whole lot lower than it should be.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It has nothing to do with gaming cred, and I'm not shitting on this game, I think it is great, it just needs more content. You are clearly an unhinged idiot, just that post about tower defense games being canerous shows you have serious problems. And here you are typing massive posts whining at some guy who wants more from a game you like. Get some medication.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Asking for more from Factorio is indeed a major part of why I think you're an absolute moron. The game has an incredible amount to offer, far more so than the overwhelming majority of games developed to date, and yet a minority of people are eternally ungrateful unless their highly specific personal preferences are satisfied. That's nothing new—and you're in good company, because there's no shortage of such autism even here on the Codex—but seeing Factorio subjected to this idiocy is too much to take while staying silent.

I pegged you the moment I saw you spamming your whinge. Complaining is all well and good, but you've been whingeing nonstop, repeating yourself ad infinitum and often completely out of the blue—just "They need to improve the endgame" out of fucking nowhere for the Nth time. When I asked you how you thought the endgame should improved, your answer was, in essence, that you require a nanny to tell you when it's over and an arbitrary Nintendo boss fight at the end.

You're an obsessed, false analogy-spewing broken record, yet you think I need medication? Well, you're not wrong. I'm going to need some serious chemotherapy after this "discussion."

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
Playing it again my problem with the end game was that it came earlier on research, once blue science was done the purple was trivial and you'd just be waiting for the clock to tick and why even bother with increased production, now you need 3 entire new setups and more logistical challenges to get the last 1/3 of research plus setting up rocket production + defense. Learning quicker setups to try and master the game it still has many hours to offer, it's still not finished, and after that there's mods, on and off I'll play this game for years.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Asking for more from Factorio is indeed a major part of why I think you're an absolute moron.
Yeah well NOT wanting more is why I think you are a moron, but not wanting me to want more is why I think you are a stupid and insane cunt.

seeing Factorio subjected to this idiocy is too much to take
Again, you should consider some medication. A really heavy dose.

you've been whingeing nonstop, repeating yourself ad infinitum and often completely out of the blue—just "They need to improve the endgame" out of fucking nowhere for the Nth time.
If I was repeating myself then how would it be out of the blue? Makes no sense. And none of it is repeated or out of the blue anyway. I started enjoying the game, then got bored of it once I launched the rocket in a week. Then I patiently waited 2 months for the update to see what came along. Then I saw what it did and still feel they have neglected the endgame. At some point you are gonna have to learn to handle other peoples opinions, or just cut to the chase and blow up a high school.

When I asked you how you thought the endgame should improved, your answer was, in essence, that you require a nanny to tell you when it's over and an arbitrary Nintendo boss fight at the end.
I could suggest many ways for an endgame but they would require a lot of work. The thing I suggest is just the thing that would require the least amount of work, and uses what they already put in the game. They are the one who put in walls, defense towers, and aliens all over the map. All I said is that they should make more of that. If you had to actually defend properly or fight back, it would make the factory building more meaningful, it would add a purpose for expanding beyond what you need to launch a rocket, and it would give a purpose for building stuff like the tank which is currently pointless. There are other people on the forum who want similar things. There are even people who want it to be more like an RTS.... I never went that far. And there is a mod adds some RTS mechanics that let you build an army of units that you can control and send to attack. There is also a mod that builds planes and bombers that can attack the enemy bases. So this is all basic and logical stuff.

You're an obsessed, false analogy-spewing broken record, yet you think I need medication? Well, you're not wrong. I'm going to need some serious chemotherapy after this "discussion."
I know I'm not wrong. You are an unhinged idiot. You must have known this long before I even joined here.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
In other news: tank + uranium weaponry + Maximum personal lazors is now my favorite way to quickly kill alien bases. Can't even ram properly because everything just melts. I think it may even be faster than shotgun, if only because of the movement speed penalty when shooting on foot.

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
In other news: tank + uranium weaponry + Maximum personal lazors is now my favorite way to quickly kill alien bases. Can't even ram properly because everything just melts. I think it may even be faster than shotgun, if only because of the movement speed penalty when shooting on foot.

Personal lasers shoot out of the tank? That's crazy. Since you're in a tank you could ditch the shields and exos for even more power and lasers. An endless stream of free samples.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron

Personal lasers shoot out of the tank? That's crazy. Since you're in a tank you could ditch the shields and exos for even more power and lasers. An endless stream of free samples.
Personally I went with standard 2 fusion gens, lazers and batteries. You do occasionally have to stop and repair the tank(or at least switch to a roboport and let it repair while you go around blasting stuff in the vicinity in the meanwhile). You still save a lot of power due to no exos, and since shields take no damage they drain basically no power.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
such obsession

what a poor fellow

Look on the bright side: At least when I tag you for something teleportation-related, the forum UI provides a quest marker and a handy-dandy fast travel button.

Can we look forward to a Roxor review of the XenForo forum software?

Norfleet

Did they buff personal lazors or something? It used to be that personal lazors did puny damage, and the way to kill alien bases was to go after them with the flammenwerfer, because it werfs flammen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom