Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Good Sci-Fi RPGs

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I'm bored of fantasy medieval crap. Are there any good sci-fi RPGs out there? (ones that I can actually play, not stuff that is in early access)

Kahr

elex_game-HD.jpg

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...science-fantasy-rpg-from-piranha-bytes.96606/

Tick Tock Crocodile

I heard good things about Anachronox around here, but I haven't played it yet so dunno for sure.

buffalo bill

Arcane
System Shock 2
Doom RL
Deus Ex
Star Control 2 (sort of more of an adventure game in my opinion, though)
If post-apocalyptic games count then Fallout 1/2 (of course), Caves of Qud (EA, but great), Underrail, NEO Scavenger, Cataclysm DDA.

Tick Tock Crocodile

Oh yeah, not sure if the setting is exactly what you want, but NEO Scavenger is amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fargus

Arcane
I think some of the Might&Magic games had sci fi elements.

Wizardry 8, System Shock games, KOTOR 1-2, Deus Ex, Shadowrun: Dragonfall, Planet Alcatraz.

Eh... For what its worth Mass Effect series.

Post apocalyptic games like Wasteland and Fallout series had "pew-pew" lasers, aliens and robot shit. If thats enough to be sci-fi as well.

Then there is garbage like Mars: War Logs and Technomancer. But some people actually like those games.

On top of that i suggest to try russian made game Star Wolves (the first one). it's really cool.

Mark Richard

Arcane
Star Wolves, the Russian sci-fi real-time tactics RPG where you command a mercenary company. Take up to six companions into spacebar pause combat, procure tons of ships & equipment, and level up with skilltrees. It's got multiple endings, sidequests, and the worst VO this side of the Milky Way. In my opinion the first game is pretty good. The second goes fully open world and struggles to match it with content.

Or you could just download Captive for DOS. Whatevs. :salute:

bataille

Arcane
If you're into this kind of thing, I can recommend a few RLs:

http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Prospector
This one is more focused on exploration and interactions with its world. Still a bit rough around the edges. Haven't played it in a while, though.

http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=PRIME
A dungeon crawl with psionics, lasers and sci-fi references everywhere. Somewhat complex but not too much. If I remember it correctly, offers some dozens of races and professions to choose from.

http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Cogmind
Another dungeon crawl. A very unique one, though. Features a rogue AI that assembles itself from spare parts. Includes an interesting mystery that you can optionally try and unravel in your journey. And don't forget very (and I can't stress this enough), VERY impressive ascii presentation. I recommend you read the dev's blog even if you're not planning on playing the game: the guy is super insightful, and writes very interesting write-ups on his experiences with cogmind.
A word of warning: if you're prone to OCD in the slightest, you'll suffer like it's your personal hell.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAuTK72ynTE -- might want to watch the trailer regardless, astonishingly pretty to look at.

http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Aurora
I still haven't tried it, but you may be interested in making a note that such a game exists.

You can also try sword of the stars: the pit, but it's pretty much a torture disguised as a game. I'm not really sure if it's beatable even on the lowest difficulty.

The Red Knight

Erudite
Albion is fun but almost all of it is fantasy, IN SPACE! Not sure if it's a good choice for curing fantasy overdose.
---
Dex - cyberpunk platformer with some RPG and top-down shooter (hacking) stuff mixed in.

Front Mission series? Mostly linear mission-based mecha tactics, with basic levelling up of pilots and focus on modifying/equipping mechas.

GearHead roguelike has both mecha and on-foot combat. It's very easy to get into too. The second game has unfinished main questline but otherwise is fine (the dev is apparently back after a loong hiatus so it may have gotten an update). ASCII > graphics version. There was some UI mod/patch for displaying one's encumbrance that's worth getting.

I Miss the Sunrise. Haven't played it in ages but from what I remember it had cool custom/not-rpgmaker spaceship combat and randomised mission maps (with travelling on them being jumping between point-of-interest nodes under a turn limit).

Planet Stronghold is a Mass Effect-like RPG/VN combo.

Restricted Area if you're desperate or enjoy hack&slash-y games like Alien Shooter.

StarCrawlers is about to get released.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Is Anachronox worth playing and does it have satisfying ending knowing there will not be a sequel?

ciox

Liturgist
I think it is, you just need to rely on the slash/backslash key to zoom through some areas/animations which is enabled by the latest patches, also the focus is not really on combat in this game, more on characters, exploration and secrets.

The game's main creator (Tom Hall) said he thinks most of the arcs are wrapped up by the end.

Freddie

Savant
Lot's of good mentions here. I would repeat some suggestions, Space Rangers 2, Star Control 2, Wasteland 2 are all good imo. Shadowrun Series is very good and I recommend to start from the first game in the series to see if you like it. From 3D stuff, Fallout: New Vegas (post apo) is very good, for space stuff I can't think of but Mass Effect, first game in the series was decent but sequels didn't really live up to what first game promised, so you can try but your mile age may vary.

Freddie

Savant
Sentinel Worlds I: Future Magic

1-07sentinel001.png
Oh, how the hell did I manage to forgot this one.

It takes patience to play, but keeps on going pretty well to the point you explore first planets... I never felt that this game really hold it's momentum, but it's has some interesting solutions that were done with limitations of that era computing.

One more classic I recalled, which actually IMO holds it's momentum better than Sentinel Worlds is Space Rogue (1989). It's simpler game, perhaps much more like adventure game, but perhaps worth a try if you are to classics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom