Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Persona 5

I just reached the boss of the 2nd palace and this has been the first actual roadblock I've had so far. I spent a long time trying to defeat all of his parts and when I finally got lucky enough to beat them all, it turns out that it was only the first phase and then they all came back with an extra gimmick. I was utterly crushed and finally gave up and went back to the previous morning. At this point, I think all I can do is just grind levels and money for supplies and try again later.

My team was around level 16 and I'm playing on Hard mode. Am i underleveled at this point in the game?

I'm just a little surprised. I had breezed through the entire palace with little trouble so i assumed I was at just a perfectly fine level. A friend of my mine is telling me Ryuji and Yusuke should have AoE attacks. I'm going to have to go grind for them now. As I am now, only my MC has an AoE attack (Rampage) but I was also using him as my dedicated healer/debuffer as well since Morgana wasn't as good at that role as High Pixie and the other personas I had. Low supplies didn't help either, that's what I get for underestimating the game.

Not complaining though, it's great. Breezing through the boss would have been a worse outcome because I'd start getting bored with the game.

Hyperion

Arcane
Ryuji gets Rampage at 17, if I'm not mistaken. 1 level and it should be doable. If you really wanna make it a breeze, get Joker to 19 and make a Matador using Mokoi and The Treasure Demon Regent so you have access to Swift Strike. Using it once with Tarakunda mangles the screen.

GarlandExCon

Arcane
DAE fee like the game could've been longer? It's such a waste that from Jan to March there's nothing going on. Maybe in the enhanced version they could give us a way to avoid jailtime.

Urgh. I was afraid of that. Exact same thing happens with P5.

GarlandExCon

Arcane
I'm just a little surprised. I had breezed through the entire palace with little trouble so i assumed I was at just a perfectly fine level. A friend of my mine is telling me Ryuji and Yusuke should have AoE attacks. I'm going to have to go grind for them now. As I am now, only my MC has an AoE attack (Rampage) but I was also using him as my dedicated healer/debuffer as well since Morgana wasn't as good at that role as High Pixie and the other personas I had. Low supplies didn't help either, that's what I get for underestimating the game.

Not complaining though, it's great. Breezing through the boss would have been a worse outcome because I'd start getting bored with the game.

I highly, highly recommend Skull Cracker if you can get it for the protagonist. It's single target but I've fought mini-bosses who couldn't do shit the entire fight because it inflicted confusion.

On another note I also highly recommend social links if you want to be able to maximize your time in the game, especially the one for the maid.

Red Rogue

Learned
I'm getting to the point with this game where I'm hesitant to begin playing. Because I know each time I make progress, I get a little bit closer to the end of the game. Really been enjoying this one lads.
Same. I don't want this to end, and it's going to end pretty soon I think. The game really moseyed around with the story, and then it goes 0 to 60 real fast. I don't want this to end!!! I haven't even been to the maid cafe yet...

I haven't quite reached the infamous plot dump yet, but I seem to be immediately before it from what I've heard. It's a melancholy feeling isn't it? I've connected with the characters and it's been a great experience so far, but finishing up is gonna feel like moving away from my hometown, sheesh.

So after getting home from work today, I decided to try the 2nd palace final boss again without any grinding. the only difference was that I waited a few days, did a couple of part time jobs, and bought some extra revivadrins; more importantly, I changed out Ryuji for Morgana (making my party MC/Ann/Yusuke/Morgana). I manged to defeat him this time! It took me few times but thanks to some favorable RNG, I was able to pull it off with my team with my team being level 16, Ann and Morgana level 15, on hard mode.

My strategy was to have to my MC use Rampage (Persona was Shiisaa) while occasionally laying Attack buffs and a defence debuff on the boss' true form during the moments he appeared, Ann would attack debuff the mouth, morgana would cast media, and Yusuke would use Giant Slice. During the 2nd phase of the boss, after my MC buffs his attack, Yusuke could strike down the revived part immediately. Because of this, the boss could rarely take advantage of his big gimmick move. I always left the mouth for last because he wasn't a problem by himself so no matter what he did on his own, it was a move in my favor.

I didn't even need to use the paint gimmick during the 3rd phase, I just beat him the old fashioned way. Temporarily sacrificing my 4th party member would have done more harm than good anyway.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I admire the "better" part. But bigger? Are Persona games not big enough?

this is what a real sequel should be.... bigger and better, they take the stuff from previous games (not a lot of work) and they create new stuff and improve on previous game for the next game (where most of work goes).

It's only Atlus fault that they set the bar so high for themselves lol.

GarlandExCon

Arcane
I'm getting to the point with this game where I'm hesitant to begin playing. Because I know each time I make progress, I get a little bit closer to the end of the game. Really been enjoying this one lads.
Same. I don't want this to end, and it's going to end pretty soon I think. The game really moseyed around with the story, and then it goes 0 to 60 real fast. I don't want this to end!!! I haven't even been to the maid cafe yet...

I haven't quite reached the infamous plot dump yet, but I seem to be immediately before it from what I've heard. It's a melancholy feeling isn't it? I've connected with the characters and it's been a great experience so far, but finishing up is gonna feel like moving away from my hometown, sheesh.

Exactly. When that happened in P4 it felt like I was losing friends and shit lol.

Red Rogue

Learned
I'm glad they seem to be getting the ball rolling on Persona 6, but boy I sure hope it doesn't take as long as 5 did. Almost a decade between games is too much. I'd be okay with 4-5 years but that's about it.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm glad they seem to be getting the ball rolling on Persona 6, but boy I sure hope it doesn't take as long as 5 did. Almost a decade between games is too much. I'd be okay with 4-5 years but that's about it.
P3 came out in 2006, and P4 in 2008. They were made on the same engine with a lot of re-used assets. If Atlus goes this way once again...

I think I would rather have another mainline SMT using that engine, tbh. Don't get me wrong, I like the series and 5 is great. But mechanically I'll always prefer the SMT mainline games. Give me Press Turns over All-Out-Attacks any day. I also like how in the mainline games you'll occasionally need to fight off 2-4 addtional groups of enemies in one encounter and how you're not guaranteed so many pre-emptive attacks. I like a good kick in the balls from these games. But the engine itself is pretty great, and it'd fantastic to see SMT5 appear on something that's not the 3DS. .

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I think I would rather have another mainline SMT using that engine, tbh. Don't get me wrong, I like the series and 5 is great. But mechanically I'll always prefer the SMT mainline games. Give me Press Turns over All-Out-Attacks any day. I also like how in the mainline games you'll occasionally need to fight off 2-4 addtional groups of enemies in one encounter and how you're not guaranteed so many pre-emptive attacks. I like a good kick in the balls from these games. But the engine itself is pretty great, and it'd fantastic to see SMT5 appear on something that's not the 3DS. .
But we already know about the SMT HD project coming for the switch and now rumored to be coming for the ps4 as well. We are getting both.

GarlandExCon

Arcane

Yeah, no shit, I don't know how I'd feel about being 40 years old and playing a video game where I play a high school kid.

GarlandExCon

Arcane
So I discovered a method of farming bosses for tons of Yen from bosses:

1. Go to Mementos and fight a boss (Shadow Request). Bosses only work because they can never escape.

2. Have a persona with a confusion skill, one with a high chance of confusion is obviously best (Pulinpa or Skull Cracker and Confuse Boost work great). I also recommend boosting your Luck with Luck Boost or an item.

3. Keep hitting the boss with your confuse attack. It'll last 3 turns but throughout it will keep throwing money away and sometimes a lot. When the confuse ends just hit it again. It'll often drop HP or SP items between the money drops so you can keep your SP and HP up too during this and keep it going pretty much indefinitely.

4. Kill the boss when you get tired of doing that.

Hyperion

Arcane
Just get level 2 with the Sun Confidant and find something that uses mostly Status Effecting spells and Heals. High Pixies in Palace 3 are a GREAT example. Hit their weakspot, extort them for cash, and keep spamming "You can do better" until they attack or summon a friend. Rinse and repeat. Further in the game you go, the more cash you get and easier it becomes. You'll also get lots of bonus xp since you'll be constantly killing adds.

Once you can buy an SP Adhesive 3 from Takemi you can fight forever. Lots of less chance and risk than messing with bosses, though I'm sure with good luck they give more on average.

Malpercio

Arcane
P3 came out in 2006, and P4 in 2008. They were made on the same engine with a lot of re-used assets. If Atlus goes this way once again...
That was before they started to milk the series and PS2 Atlus was on fire. P4 wasn't even the last PS2 game they released.

I doubt there will be a P6 for a while, they need to milk the series with P5 FES, P5 Dance all night, and P5 Karts. Maybe a P5 anime. Gotta focus on this cast and waifus.

Red Rogue

Learned
That was before they started to milk the series and PS2 Atlus was on fire. P4 wasn't even the last PS2 game they released.

I doubt there will be a P6 for a while, they need to milk the series with P5 FES, P5 Dance all night, and P5 Karts. Maybe a P5 anime. Gotta focus on this cast and waifus.

Go ahead and make an anime, that'd be fine. But Atlus PLEASE don't waste my time with a fighting game and an Etrian Odyssey clone for the switch.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Just finished it, 100 hour game indeed... And I fucking loved every minute.

6cfa7e24d5762b1c3ecb057666ec1f36.jpg

Hyperion

Arcane
Finished the 4th Palace in 1 day, had like 3 weeks to spend and do nothing but build up Confidants and Social Stats. Was 100% convinced I was gonna sex up Kawakami for obvious reasons, but after getting her Confidant Level up to 8 and seeing her story, I did a complete 180. All of the responses to her suck as well. Tired of having to pump up her self-esteem and reassure her she isn't a worthless cum dumpster. I have no time for that fucking shit.

Dr. Takemi here I come.

Edit: Ground out a few extra levels in the Palace / did 4 Mementos bosses, and Persona combinations are finally getting fucking cool. Got a White Rider with Trigger Happy, Gun Boost, and Triple Down I'm kinda excited to give a go once I get some more Hanged Man Confidant levels. Also made a Hell Biker with like 35 Agility or some shit, and a Mitras with Bless Boost. Did like 1,000 to some Mementos Boss with Tarukaja on. Can't imagine what those uber Personas like Michael and Yoshitsune are like.

Getting a Persona with High Strength seems pretty hard to come by. Right now, Joker seems better relegated to Mage with Yusuke, Makoto, and Ryuji suited for attacks.

Last edited:

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
Why you don't post screenshots? Want to know how the game looks, P3 and P4's dungeons were rather generic and boring.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom