Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Expeditions: Viking Released

Harpsichord

Arcane
tbh I feel like the amount of effort that went into the prologue is above what went into the rest of denmark imho
Maybe, but honestly even past the introduction I ran into some interesting 'quests.'
For instance, there seems to be at least three different ways to resolve your encounter with Vengr in the Ribe Marsh.

I also appreciated the number of options given to me on the tomb raider quest. I personally decided to ask the Godi for permission rather than moving directly to the tomb, and he responded by demanding that I sacrifice either one freedman or three thralls. When he set off to make the preparations, this allowed me to persuade his houseboy toward helping me get into the tomb by promising him a share of the treasure. After things were done and the boy showed up looking for his reward, I used the diplo skill to convince him that the treasure stuff was hype and shucks it looks like we all wasted our time. [/spoil]

hivemind

got cucked by the Perth bug too

Last edited by a moderator:

Barbarian

Arcane
the strong and empowered shieldmaiden specially.
There is a scene where she has to stop herself from crying when she leaves her mum in the home village. I mean I get being triggered by a women warrior but this one is not even done that terribly over the top woman powah. You also have another woman in your village tell you that being a shieldmaiden is not a lifestyle she wants because it's impossible to keep a family that way, hardly something bioware would write.

Maybe you are right, but my gripe is mostly with the sjw treatment of the setting. There are shieldmaidens everywhere(half the people you face in combat are women) and King Sigurdr main vassal is a shieldmaiden jarl. Shieldmaidens make sense in the setting, but not like this. But then again I'm not sure I should be complainig being that Conquistador had the exact same issue.

As for the other npcs, I like Gunnar. He is basically Esteban Gallego in a viking setting. The same anti-slavery ideal and crazyness/love of action. I wonder where the devs got the character from and if in the next game we will also get a crazed moustached giant npc. Asleifr is a proper viking. Even the witch makes sense. The other 3 I found real annoying as I mentioned.

But I do agree in general that Conquistador npcs were better, mostly because you had choice on what type of people were in your party personality wise. In this game you have a couple more trad cRPG styled companions with preset personalities where you don't really get much leeway on who you take with you and then the randomly generated personalities of the custom made soldiers. THe problem also is that I don't feel like the story NPCs are that much more fleshed out compared to what the Conquistador NPCs were, especially if you compare them to how talky companions in other RPGs usually are.

I was expecting more companion options. I thought many of the npcs you met in the game were supposed to be joinable and then found out there are only 8 pre-made npcs. Somewhat disappointing. I hope the monk and the pictish huntress are interesting.

hivemind

I was expecting more companion options. I thought many of the npcs you met in the game were supposed to be joinable and then found out there are only 8 pre-made npcs. Somewhat disappointed.
Same.

Honestly it would have been so much better if at least instead of making your own custom minmaxed NPCs with random personalities and no background you would instead have to recruit premade Conquistador style companions to fill out your party.

Barbarian

Arcane
I just ditched the 3 custom mercs. As much as I disliked some of the premade npcs it felt cheesy af to make custom ones. Felt like cheating too.

KevinV12000

Arcane
I haven't read anything above, because I like to keep my first impressions without any preconceived ideas.

So far, I am enjoying this game a lot. The art is beautiful, the writing is good, and the voice acting is well above average. The combat is fun and tactical, reminds me of Blackguards. Skills and character development are great, lots to choose from.

There are two main issues, though, that are intruding for me so far:

1) Camera: It seems like I'm forced to look straight down at the action from in too close. Is there really no way to move the camera to an angle or farther out?

2) Language: I'm sure the developers are fluent in English, but, even so, they're missing things that cause a native English speaker to get quest hints and clues wrong. They should run the script by a native speaker and iron those out. (Example: wolf quest, quest giver says "as long as we get at least half of the pack the rest won't return here" only for the quest to fail if a single wolf survives out of the entire pack, etc.)

Lhynn

Arcane
So im at the marsh, and the event dont seem to be triggering to solve the problem there, can anyone give me a hand?

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
which event? Going off vague memories from the first beta

Youtube Horath Drak's Let's Try Expeditions Viking, that should give you what's supposed to happen in the questline anyway

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
There's 3 marshes in the game, he's going to have to be more specific.

There's also at least 3 game breaking bugs this patch but you can work around all of them if you know the trick afaik.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Popamolism

Does this still mean anything coherent, or is it just a synonym for the first point?

No, it’s completely arbitrary because there is no standards and Oblivion and Jagged Alliance are on the same level. A game is popamole when the challenges it presents are too easy to surpass. The fact that players in this forum complained about how easy most encounters are, how crafting weapons are overpowered and how they are able to max all core skills early on strongly suggest that this game is a mess. Besides, this game is a hog, dude. The requirements to play this thing will make my PC melt.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Popamolism

Does this still mean anything coherent, or is it just a synonym for the first point?

No, it’s completely arbitrary because there is no standards and Oblivion and Jagged Alliance are on the same level. A game is popamole when the challenges it presents are too easy to surpass. The fact that players in this forum complained about how easy most encounters are, how crafting weapons are overpowered and how they are able to max all core skills early on strongly suggest that this game is a mess. Besides, this game is a hog, dude. The requirements to play this thing will make my PC melt.
May I suggest you don't get a wooden PC as your next one.

Barbarian

Arcane
Popamolism

I'm playing it in a 4 year old notebook that fails to meet nearly all minimum requirements(intel i5 dual core). It runs pretty fast too, just set all graphical options to minimum.

Game is not popamole, it just has a few questionable design choices and is developed by nords brainwashed by social justice baloney. Other than that it is probably the best rpg released in years and lots of fun. I didn't encounter any bug so far too.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
So im at the marsh, and the event dont seem to be triggering to solve the problem there, can anyone give me a hand?

I figured this one out, most likely you didn't talk to the Jarl at Ribe in her longhouse. For some reason the quest requires that you speak to her before you can "clear the swamp"

Cynicus

Augur
So, when does the alleged SJW content kick in? I'm not very deep into the game -- just beginning to gather bits for the ship and recruiting muh hird -- but I haven't seen anything so far that I would label "SJW" and there's certainly been nothing remotely close to Bioware levels of absurdity. There's a lot of battle womynz, but I haven't found it particularly bothersome so far. Please tell me that it doesn't get worse. If my hird turns emo and non-vaginal members start trying to grope "little thegn" imma be pissed.

hivemind

"""SJW content""" in this game literally just means woman warriors being more numerous than they should be(0 or 1 at most) and a fag companion from what i can tell

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Idk about SJW but my protag is nailing all dem bitches. Are there gay romance options?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom