Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Expeditions: Viking - historical Viking RPG from Logic Artists

Quillon

Arcane
The most negative part is the cam angle; I first registered on codex to complain about this game's too vertical cam. Hope either devs add the option or someone finds a config file to tweak the vertical angle. Other than that I set my expectations on how good Conquistador was and the direction they were going for Viking and so far its pretty much what I expected, seems like a good game so far, very much enjoying it. I can see I will beat it at least 2-3 times.

Its good that they haven't neglected the strategy aspect with the more RPGish approach.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The game is good. Improved E:C in every aspect.
I have quite some minor peeves though:

- I had a crash during char creation, when changing boots..
- The button for "lethal damage" is awkward and not clear how it works. Apparently when the skull is "lit" then you do lethal damage. Tool-tip must be improved.
- The button exactly next to it (left click to see details of character) for some reason resets whenever I see a characters details. That kind of breaks the whole point..
- Some sort of "Expeditionopedia" would be nice, all the info from the tutorial messages is hard to keep in mind.

That's all for now. Generally loving the game. Also the overworld map is fantastic

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
there is also still that unity lag everytime i start the game where the game freeze for 2 seconds when dialogue prompt appear, then proceed to run again.
this happen in pillars, torment, shadowrun and pretty much all unity crpgs out there. unavoidable i guess, but otherwise the game run alot better than conquistadors (well, not much for benchmark because i had gtx 760 when i played conquistadors, and now i have a 1080)

redwood36

Novice
Anyone else get the feeling this title needs a little longer in the oven? Just feels like there are a lot of bugs and crashes. Definitely echo the sentiment about the camera angle. They 100% would have benefited from just making everything 2d if they can't go all in on 3d.

Acleacius

Novice
Fun game, but do we need to start a new game after this big patch? Also anyone figured out how to edit the camera zoom farther and damn that camera jumps around during combat? If I try to set the camera in a position where I can see the attacker and the defender (archery in this case), it steals my view. First it centers on the attacker, then the defender after, so two jumps after I set it each ranged party member, every round.

Vicar

Cipher
Patron
Fun game, but do we need to start a new game after this big patch? Also anyone figured out how to edit the camera zoom farther and damn that camera jumps around during combat? If I try to set the camera in a position where I can see the attacker and the defender (archery in this case), it steals my view. First it centers on the attacker, then the defender after, so two jumps after I set it each ranged party member, every round.
Do you mean version 1.0.1? The save games are compatible.

hivemind

are you able to talk to your hird like to your party in other party based cRPGS ?

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Is this the place to report bugs? Because I found a few.

- Marsh quest. If you capture Mani and you don't tell you did to his friend in the cabin, the option won't appear again and the quest will stay active in your quest log and can't be completed.

- Treasure site quest. If you do the merchant's quest after killing the farmers, your companion will tell you to pick a body and use it for sacrifice and it will stay forever in your inventory.

- Getting stuck before entering combat when passing through city after killing farmers on treasure site location.

- Game crashing after reaching scarborough beach.

I experienced a few more but can't remember them now.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
I agree with the comments about the angle of the camera, it should be at least changeable.
Also enemies that are in "Interrupt" mode are not easy to distinguish, unless I missed something?

Really liking the characters so far. The voice overs though... Ehm. Especially the female ones are a bit cringe worthy. Too much squeaking :P

Acleacius

Novice
Do you mean version 1.0.1? The save games are compatible.
Yes, guess so, thanks. I checked the main steam sales page, but it didn't list the new update/version, at least as of a few hours ago. I was afraid to update without knowing for sure.

SniperHF

Arcane
Maybe someone can explain something about the Karma setting for me, when it's set to "no limit on negative events" that seems to imply that there IS a limit on positive events. Is this the case?

Does that mean say if I dither around a lot and "use" up all my positive events, that I'll just be endlessly stricken with negative ones?

SniperHF

Arcane
- The button for "lethal damage" is awkward and not clear how it works. Apparently when the skull is "lit" then you do lethal damage. Tool-tip must be improved.

This. Though it seems like there aren't very many situations where you would want to leave someone alive. A lot of times I specifically chose to let enemies live so I could maybe interrogate them, and nothing.

Even though I had no idea which way the button was set while I was doing it, the first time I tried it I was quite pleased with the results. I did suspect it was something that could run out of steam as the game went on besides specific set events/quests. Might be something to intentionally leave as kill for a playthrough and then do the opposite.

hivemind

non-lethal is pointless gimmick because it's not properly implemented throughout all encounters

for example the fight in the marsh with the 3 brothers I put on non lethal to try and talk to them but nah after the fight they were good as dead
in the initial norseman raid I had non lethal in the first two fights in hopes of enslaving the people but nah nothing happened

it's impossible to know beforehand which fights have non-lethal content

it should honestly just work as all games work where if a character has content that relies on them surviving the fight just let that happen and be given a choice to kill them afterwards if you don't care about what they have to say

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
You might not get immediate feedback from non-lethal combat but usually a bit later down the line it will give you different choices. At least the (few admittedly :smug:) times I used non-lethal I always got "something"

hivemind

ok I'm 1 month in angloland and will always use non lethal from now and see what happens

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
But regardless of that, killing and no killing basically has no other effect other than the possibility of different content/reactions. It's not like you lose xp or loot or sth

hivemind

How do you guys feel about the weapon types?

So far I think their quality looks something like this:

GOD TIER
Bow(insane damage and range)
Shield(helps you survive)

TOP TIER
Daneaxe(reach, utility, one turn kill potential)
Dagger(multiple ways to get one turn kill - maybe should be in lower tier not sure)
Spear(reach, utility - distract is amazing)

Utility tier
Axe(for expose)
Sling(for puffball)

Trash TIER
Sword
Dual Wield
Unarmed

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Archery is definitely OP as fuck in this game. I use 2 on my comp with tier 5 bows and they rape pretty much everything in front of them. Next game I'm gonna make 2 dedicated archers plus ketil and use my main and another character with axe prof. for shield hooking purposes only for the lulz.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Sword is much more interesting than axe. Axe is for utility, sword for dealing damage. It hs ready & heavy swing (ignore armor), great skill.

You vastly underestimate dual wielding. The skill that lets you do a blocked attack with off hand and then unblocked attack with main band is godlike. You fuck up shields and health, instead of someone wasting an ace attack for expose.

And to do damage with dual you need to invest in weapon skill anyway, otherwise you do shit damage.

Also to add to godlike: throwing lvl 1. For 3 pts you put harrowed on enemy as free attack even if you miss. Get backstabbing feat (+50% dmg on harrowed). Enjoy.

For me:

GOD:
Bow
Throwing lvl 1. Free damage for 3sp!

GREAT:
Spear. Great for storyfag characters (high finesse,perc,sense), great as backup weapon for archers (the smack and step back skill is godsend here), great for straight up murder (good damage+ crits)

Dual Sword + Axe,at least on paper. I must test if you can use off-hand weapon skills, if yes - you are a god of damage and utility.

GOOD:
Dual knives (assuming you invest in knives as well, which you must to deal any damage) - straight up murder when you connect free stab with 1-2 hit from dual.

X + shield - pretty much a necessity to have 1-2 front liners like that to run through archers and laugh. Sword for damage, axe for more utility.

OK TIER
Dual axes. If you are really stingy about skillpoints

Sling. Used for utility, not damage. Puffball is a live saver

Dane axe. You should have taken spear instead, but will do.

TRASH
Brawling.
Any one hand without shield. +3% crit bonus is not worth it.
Knife + shield build. I mean, seriously, what is the point?

In general - weapons balance seems pretty ok except for bows. Every weapon feels properly awesum if you build a charactrler for it. And enemies with those weapons also hit hard.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Dual wield is op aswell. I maxed gunnar's dual wield and a strategy I use on "tougher" fights is put him between two enemies, use berserk potion and then use the one-two skill. It usually 1-shots two guys at once(once I put him on flanked position and he decapitated both guys, was pretty cool).

Sword has the execution skill which guarantees a kill if hit which is pretty good.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Getting continuous crashes while trying to load my game now....

I'm that "temple" area.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Getting continuous crashes while trying to load my game now....

I'm that "temple" area.

On Nortumbria capital? Happened to me aswell inside the church. Had to load a previous save.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom