Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession/Stone Prophet thread

rezaf

Cipher
ADue to Real Life reasons on my end, I may not have a proper time for that until a month from now at the earliest. But I'm not abandoning this, consider this a temporary hiatus.

That's great, I might be able to catch up with you by then.
First I was only slightly behind you, but then I blinked or something and you posted that you won the game. I only just finished my first (or second, counting the invitation) visit to Castle Ravenloft - I even accidentally triggered the fight with Strahd.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Some good news, I may have time in the upcoming weeks to at least get started with Stone Prophet. Lots of things going on right now which are "in flux" - meaning stuff that needs done with no fixed dates attached, but still a "hurry up!"-mentality attached to it.

We'll see how it goes.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Tried to run Stone Prophet for the first time just now. Like in Ravenloft 1 you need to go into the DosBox Configuration and enable Double Buffering, that fixes the video playback. I tried to adjust other settings but it only seemed to make things worse. Also, I think the voice files for that old guy who's blabbering in the intro are not in the right order. I do recognize the narrator as the same voice actor that voiced the shaman in Anvil of Dawn, the one who sounds like he swallowed an auto-tuner.

Music volume can be lowered in-game, but only once a game has been started, it can't be done from the main menu.

Importing my character save was easy as I had figured out that DOSBox wouldn't be able to find the save folder from Ravenloft 1, so I copied over the respective folder to the Ravenloft 2 folder.

And if you thought the interface in Ravenloft 1 was bad, wait 'till you see this. You have to right-click now to pick up things, and in order to bring up the menu you need to click the button at the bottom with the Eye of Horus pictogram on it.

Besides Hit Points there's also a need now to keep track of water supplies. Fortunately Clerics get the 1st-level spell Create Water, so a slot must be dedicated to that at all times in order to rest properly. Other classes with probably have to keep looking for wells and such. Considering just these changes, I'd recommend that Ravenloft 1 players read the Ravenloft 2 manual carefully before starting.

And I found another exploit. In Ravenloft 1 I found two Potions of Strength. Save them until just before you're about to make the Final Save for importing into Ravenloft 2. Have your two PCs drink the potions, save the game then quit. Import the save to Ravenloft 2, and you'll find that your temporary Strength boost has become permanent - Strength 20 Fighter checking in! :)

You seem determined to paint these games in a bad light rather than describe the experience for what people might enjoy it for. Not impressed

Father Foreskin

Learned
Excommunicator i would dare to say that especially Strahds Posession is a very hard game to enjoy. Stone Prophet is a better game overall so you are more eager to put up with the flaws. The earlier SSI games like Pool of Radiance have somehow managed to age better than the ravenlofts imho.

What in your opinion are the things that people might enjoy in Strahds Posession? My memories of the game are vague and i probably didnt make to mid-game, but i recall up until that point it was a Descent to Undermountain tier shitpile.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
What the padre said: Strahd's Possession is almost impossible to enjoy at any point, it actually makes Eye of the Beholder 3 look good in comparison. As I start playing Stone Prophet a question pops to mind: Is it worth it playing the prequel at all, or just skipping straight to the sequel? The Stone Prophet manual says that importing characters will jack up the difficulty with HP bloat, so unless there's an awesome Super-Duper piece of gear that can be found in the first game (like a throwing knife) there may actually be an argument for skipping it altogether.

The only criticism I've levelled at Stone Prophet so far is that the DOSBox settings are wonky and the UI/controls still appear somewhat bad.

rezaf

Cipher
It's not nearly as bad as Descent to Undermountain. Back in the day, it was actually quite good. 7/10 material, i'd say.
But it was a product of it's time and has aged very poorly, there's just no denying the fact. Many early 3D games share the same fate.
Nostalgia or morbid curiosity aside, I can't think of any good reasons to recommend anyone playing this today.

(UC beat me to it...)

rezaf

Cipher
Finally finished Strahd's Possession as well.
I feel there's little to add to what UC already wrote.
In general, a far too large part of the lategame (and game in general) consisted of pointless backtracking to find hidden buttons or doors, grab some key and then check all known locked doors to see whether the key fits any of them.
The RPG aspects are extremely underused, I hardly ever cared about my level ups. Combat was usually madly spamming attacks, sometimes waiting until the timer allowed casting another spell. More difficult enemies or those which would annoyingly drain a level would sometimes require some quickloads, which is easier and less time consuming than using scrolls and spells. By and large, everything would probably be better suited to a FPS rather than a RPG.
At least I have something to show for my session...
2reha2q.png

(Note: 3/4 of the hoard not depicted)

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
My hoard was about the size of what could be seen in the screenshot, but I also used a smaller house.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I got a special D&D pack which contained the Ravenloft games, Menzoberranzan & Dark Suns and have to say that I enjoyed Menzo best of all but the games are a bit too dated nowadays with retarded design choices as mentioned like the level drains, UI navigation and a complete lack of reactivity to any quests... but I still enjoyed them
I have a huge collection of the Ravenloft D&D campaign so seeing all these places come to life was such a joy for me
Kind of wished I had the time or commitment to replay those games (especially Dark Sun) but seeing your updates have really given me a nostalgia bug
Thanks and keep on writing and I will keep on reading

Father Foreskin

Learned
Ok i give you the music but not overall mood. The basic premise of the game is too Dracula-fanfic, the grimdark doesnt really work too well in a game where you cant see shit anyway due the draw distance. The enemies are things that got laid off from some haunted house theme park attraction for being too lame. Also call me a graphic whore if necessary but the game looks like shit for its time. Add to that the labor camp UI and the tendency for the enemies to get "sucktioned" to the left side of the screen and appear behind you. Im not saying you cant enjoy the overall mood of the game under any circumstances, but im willing to hazard a guess there is too much shit to endure for the average codexer to even notice there is a mood.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
*Joe Buck voice from Midnight Cowboy* You want some free medical advice? If you want to play good, atmospheric RPGs based on Ravenloft, save yourself the pain and frustration of playing Strahd's Possession and Stone Prophet and play the NWN 1 & 2 modules instead, like The Spires of Ravenloft (CEP edition) and Misery Stone. You know what you can do with those musty old blobbers... and if you can't do it for yourself then I'd be happy to oblige.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Thanks for bringing up the NWN modules, but this thread is solely aimed at the two first Ravenloft "RPGs". I know that a third Ravenloft game was released, but we don't talk about that one.

rezaf

Cipher
Strahd's Possession may have a rather generic vampire count setting and not make much of even the limited potential such setting offers, but Stone Prophet is something else entirely.
I started playing for a bit and I just really dig the egyptian theme. In a way, though, it's spoiled a bit by the AD&D/Ravenloft stuff.
I'd love to play a historical or quasi-historical (think Darklands) game set in ancient egypt, with high priests and god kings and pyramids and loinclothes and khopesh swords and cleopatra(tm) paintjobs around the eyes and so on and so forth.
Why wasn't that ever a thing?

Ah well, for the time being I'll put up with Stone Prophet. Didn't get anywhere yet, just stumbled around in the desert for a bit, slaying a couple of zombies, vultures and whirlwind thingies.
What I noticed so far:

- No Dagger of Returning spam allowed! Throwing the dagger when not yet "engaged" to an enemy makes the dagger miss. Sad panda, though I guess it's probably for the best, considering how much I abused it in the previous game.
- Why are the designers so stingy with containers? I haven't found a single one yet. I mean, really, what's the point of not having those?
- Combat works totally different, is much slower. I still spam the attack key, but not a virtual sword swings and everything is so slow it could almost be turn-based. Guess I'll have time to cast spells now and then in such setup.
- I still like how everything is voice-acted, the quality seems to have improved somewhat too.
- Discovered the ingame teleportation system. Nice touch I'd totally forgotten about.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Finally had some time to play a little through Ravenloft 2. Like rezaf says, this is an almost completely different kettle of fish. The setting is different and intriguing, the gameplay is at a much slower pace and the maps are MUCH bigger.

Biggest problem I'm currently facing is that DOSBox still isn't properly configured - I get random drops in performance. I'll have to play around with them some more.

I tried the Dagger of Throwing trick and it doesn't seem to work, but I can blast enemies from afar with spells just fine.

I think I might actually enjoy this one...

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Another playsession over. rezaf complained over a lack of containers, I found a sack almost at the start of the dungeon at the bottom of the well.

The only enemy that's giving me troubles are the Fire Toads - they launch weak fireballs that damage the entire party.

I've recruited two NPCs - an uppity Cleric/Ranger I found east of the well, and a Vistani Thief from the village. The Cleric has a Ring of Protection +2, so that's one reason to drag him along for a bit.

Another change from Ravenloft 1 is what constitutes front-rankers and rear-rankers. In the first game the front-rankers were on the left, and the rear-rankers on the right. Now the two central characters (that are slightly elevated on-screen) are the front-rankers, and the other two are rear-rankers.

And the starting map is HUGE - I finally found a map of it, and at best I've covered 50% of it.

rezaf

Cipher
UC, as I explained in my post, I'd not descended into any dungeons (and I actually missed the starting dungeon by not realizing you could bump into the well), afterwards it's quite some time before you encounter another container.
By now, though, I've got like a dozen of them, they're just distributed a bit unevenly.
I also picked up the same NPCs you have, mostly because I think they're the ones "naturally" in the players exploration path. As I have no cleric of my own, the cleric/ranger is a godsend, but as a hybrid character, he's terribly low level (had to nurse him for quite a bit before he could cast a single neutralize poison) - I'd definately recommend anyone going through both games (or even only SP) to get a pureblood cleric of their own.
My mage, for example, is totally killing it - with two rings of wizardry she can cast like 8 level three spells, and I think I had her memorize like five lighning bolts - a spell that's uncannily useful. Clearing out entire corridors of annoying snakes or even nagas with just one or two bolts never gets old. And since the game usually allows rest-spam, making use of her has become my main modus operandi. Funny though that most spells beyond level 3 are kinda useless in comparison.
Anyway, as for the vistani ... he's useful for his inventory slots, but otherwise... Is there any opportunity to make use of thieving skills in either Ravenloft game? I definately did not.
I also haven't found a magical weapon he can use (not counting his dagger), so he still has a mundane shortsword in his main hand. I'll be replacing him as soon as I find someone else.
Funny, on two story related occasions I already had to boot him from the party and both time he cursed me, my ascendants and descendants to the nine hells for forsakening ... but when I visited him in his tent afterwards he happily joined up again. True to gypsy form, I guess. :P

I finished three dungeons or so now and the game has been a bit of a mixed bag for me. In a way, it's like watching a tv show from decades back, when modern conventions such as story arcs and stuff were not yet invented - or, if you prefer, tv shows had different design considerations. The setting is sadly a bit underutilized, but it was just an age where we didn't get a ton of side content in our game, and I guess we have to be greatful for what's there - even today games often cut corners here, especially when they're fully voiced.
What's there is thematic, imo, and the selection of enemies fits the setting quite well - which can probably be credited to the source material.
Still, there's too much "by the textbook" dungeon design like in the predecessor. Maybe this was dictated by player expectations - it kinda is a bit of a real-time blobber, I guess.
Things that make a big difference on the positive side are that the d&d on ice effect is a little less pronounced (or maybe I've just gotten used to it) and that the wall textures are a lot less grainy.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Just finished a very interesting session.

I cleared out the dungeon at the bottom of the well, as well as do a pass through a desolate temple. There I had what is simply the best conversation I've seen in the Ravenloft games so far... the one with Safarr the cat. Then later I was wandering out in the desert and I find an even bigger cat... and it ended up joining my party!

Right now my biggest problem is the gear I imported from Ravenloft 1. I've yet to see any evidence that the Dagger of Throwing/Axe of Hurling do any damage at all, and the cat NPC is the first front-ranking character I get that can use the Paladin Sword.

I've also found some interesting magic items, including a +1 Helm of Light (so that saves me casting that spell) and a Helm of Telepathy, which I think will come in handy in talking to that old woman at the start of the game, though I haven't tested that yet.

But I've also come across a downside - two of my characters are missing a point of Constitution. After having wondered what monster had drained me this time, it hit me: It's the only characters I've had to cast Raise Dead upon. Seems that despite the Ravenloft games chucking most of the AD&D ruleset out the window, having rezzed characters permanently lose -1 Constitution somehow ended up staying. Now instead of saving up on Raise Dead spells/scrolls, it's just Restore Game instead.

rezaf

Cipher
Yeah, the cat conversation was neat, kinda foreshadowing all the YT cat videos.
2qiqxcn.png

Is the cat NPC up on the main desert map? Cause I thought I'd fully explored it, and haven't found her. Desperately need a replacement for the vistani guy.

I'm pretty sure the dagger of throwing does damage, but it's pretty lousy. Gave it to my mage so she at least can do SOMETHING when she's not casting spells -still beats collecting a dozen slingstones after each fight, but I guess they went a little overboard trying to nerf it.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Yes, he's on the main desert map. I can only give you partial instructions to find the big cat, but start by going North from the village until you find a wall and... something else. From there head East while slowly inching a little northwards until you're about North-East of the village. This part is full of small pieces of ruins scattered over a large area, he's on the South side of a straight East/West wall in the Northern part of this area.

Another tip for early-game players: Focus all 4th-level Cleric spells into Neutralize Poison. Far too many poisonous critters about.

rezaf

Cipher
Guess this time I took hoarding to a whole new level.
j8iii1.png

Note that if I attempt to drop anything else, it'll either destroy another item on the ground or crash the game with a message "Too many items". :argh:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Time to clutter up another house?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom