Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Factorio - a factory building game

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Wow they did a lot more than I thought. I still wish the game had a better endgame.

Ironmonk

Augur
Here is a commented changelog with a dev clarifying some points.

It seems they decided to include Klonan's mod "Bergius Process" in the main game (aka "Coal Liquefaction", Coal to Oil), this helps a lot with excess of coal and shortage of oil.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Wow they did a lot more than I thought. I still wish the game had a better endgame.

Pure wishful thinking. You just don't want it to be over, but every game has to be put down eventually. Factorio's design doesn't really allow for an outcome other than eventually reaching the point where you're churning out the most rarefied end product progressively faster and in greater quantities. If there were two ultimate and separate end products, or three, or four, it wouldn't change anything; putting them together, shipping them away, and/or "selling" them is cosmetic in the context of a game.

Imagine an alien planet. An autistic child with Godlike powers lands there, and eventually, after thousands of years, he has neatly deconstructed every speck of the planet and sorted its constituent substances into hundreds of containers, each one reserved for a single element on the periodic table.

That's how Factorio do, except the planet never runs out because it's not real (irrelevant) and we can put the containers of elements together into "rockets" and shoot them up into the sky.

All Wube has done here is make it a bit more elaborate, dress it up a bit, but really nothing's changed. No one on Earth has actually described a workable, holistic alternative endgame for Factorio, although many are dissatisfied that it eventually just has to end abruptly when you get bored launching a lot of rockets. There's just nothing to be done about it.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
No. There has been an endgame for ages, you launch the rocket and win. What I would want is for them to make more of the enemies. Have a mothership alien that you have to ultimately defeat and have more than a tank to fight it with. There is already a mod that does similar but it could be better.

p.s. Who are all these people that watch 48 minute videos about a changelog?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I told myself I was going to wait for 1.0 before playing this game again but... so many juicy changes...

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
e4664ec066.png

rl0FOxdz7CcxO.gif

Edit: Currently some bugs with steam cloud synchronisation. Either disable it or wait for them to fix it.

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I would wait a few days though, patches for 0.15 and need all the must have mods to get tweaked for the update.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
No. There has been an endgame for ages, you launch the rocket and win. What I would want is for them to make more of the enemies. Have a mothership alien that you have to ultimately defeat and have more than a tank to fight it with. There is already a mod that does similar but it could be better.

Yes, you want more stuff. Making more stuff takes time and effort, and the stuff that we have now is already occupying all of Wube's time and effort.

If they add more, stronger aliens and a final boss fight, then the game's going to end after that anyway and the total gameplay value will hardly have increased. Enemies aren't really the point of Factorio anyway, except as a logistical factor to take into account. In my view, more, bigger enemies and a UFO battle is a pretty bad suggestion that resembles the end of a Nintendo platformer, and I don't think that it would really satisfy anyone.

For people who do need that sort of thing, there certainly will be mods and I'm glad those exist. The fact that you don't think the relevant mod is good enough is a hint; I believe you'll find none of them really satisfy you, because you want the MacGuffin to be made real, and that's just not going to happen even if Wube does it officially.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Sure thing, dumbass. You and all the smart people should carry on whining about the endgame, and I'm sure it will be "fixed."

It begins:

6a24826e99.png

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
If the game was only about building stuff, they wouldn't have added enemies all over the map and with their own little bases. Don't be mad that not everyone is simple minded enough to just build stuff endlessly.

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
20170426221654_1.jpg

No oil:negative:
Completely forgot to check and went on with the map anyway, gonna build radar bases to try and get a field probably gonna need a railway way earlier than usual, while I wait I'll start building the infrastructure from that tiny spec southwest the ones up north are surrounded.
Got a few power outages since the new burners just devour coal, haven't seen much else I set up the green science in about a hour but I'm getting slower as more and more tasks keep piling also new military science packs making me pulli coal earlier than usual, may have also built it too large.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Those 2 oils in the NW might be enough. They made less oil spots but they last longer now and I think produce more oil. I am still waiting for mods to catch up. I want to see what Bobs will do.

Ironmonk

Augur
Programmable Speaker in action:

My new 0.15 factory is giving me a headache with this new research pack recipes, its a logistic nightmare.

I'm having lots of fun. :love:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Is it just me or is nuclear stuff a bit too much of a hassle? The ratio of the rare isotope seems too low to make much use of, at least until you research enrichment, but at that point you're probably already launching the rocket (especially if you've actually mined and stockpiled enough material).
My new 0.15 factory is giving me a headache with this new research pack recipes, its a logistic nightmare.
Yeah, it's great. 6 research packs is essentially a doubling of the previous amount (alien ones were trivial), and some of them are quite tricky to do. I especially found military tricky, because it requires stuff I pretty much never build otherwise.

Ironmonk

Augur
Is it just me or is nuclear stuff a bit too much of a hassle? The ratio of the rare isotope seems too low to make much use of, at least until you research enrichment, but at that point you're probably already launching the rocket (especially if you've actually mined and stockpiled enough material).
Yeah, I researched the nuclear tech and tried to mine a field with around 6 or 10k units of uranium ore and the centrifuge gave me only 20 uranium-235 (after all the ore were processed), not enough for even one fuel cell if I'm not mistaken... to me this kinda makes Enrichment a necessary step before crafting Fuel Cells.

Well, I don't know yet how long a fuel cell works, maybe they have a very long duration?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, I researched the nuclear tech and tried to mine a field with around 6 or 10k units of uranium ore and the centrifuge gave me only 20 uranium-235 (after all the ore were processed), not enough for even one fuel cell if I'm not mistaken... to me this kinda makes Enrichment a necessary step before crafting Fuel Cells.

Well, I don't know yet how long a fuel cell works, maybe they have a very long duration?
I actually made one. You should note you get 10x fuel cells from one craft, and they each have an energy capacity of 8 GJ. Since one nuclear plant consumes 40 MW, a cell lasts 200 seconds, and the whole stack 2000.

Still, with about a 1/200 chance of getting 238, you'd have to mine and process a lot of ore to keep it going constantly, and you'd be putting most of it in storage waiting for enrichment.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
I don't remember sticking it, unless maybe I was merging it with another thread and forgot to unstick it. But it couldn't have been recently.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Nowhere, that's the problem. It stroked my thighs as I built up a factory and got me all turned on and then it bailed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom