Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Would you be interest in a new Top RPGs poll? (READ THE OP)

Would you want a "repoll" of the Codex' Top 95 RPGs?

• Total voters

Neanderthal

Arcane
Every time I see that list I look at all crap above Black Gate an get really bloody annoyed.

Kahr

I think hope the current Top 70 list doesn't reflect the common opinion on this site.
It slowly get's boring to try a game on that list and taste shit all over again.

Also if the list doesn't turn out as the noble Administration wants, it can be deleted, which would create additional butthurt, if played out well.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
I think hope the current Top 70 list doesn't reflect the common opinion on this site.
It slowly get's boring to try a game on that list and taste shit all over again.

Also if the list doesn't turn out as the noble Administration wants, it can be deleted, which would create additional butthurt, if played out well.

Fuck off

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If there's a poll, I'd like to see something like:

Best combat
Best characters
Etc.

I think a poll with rating specific parts of the genre would be more interesting. It might also be helpful for some people when looking for games to play.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado

Best combat
Best characters
Etc.

I think a poll with rating specific parts of the genre would be more interesting. It might also be helpful for some people when looking for games to play.

We could do "best dungeon crawler", "best blobber", "best action RPG", and so on.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron

Best combat
Best characters
Etc.

This has potential. Shoutmatch potential. :hero:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
No one asked you to MAKE anything; no one asked you to RE-make a straightforward vote count into a quality statement. No one empowered you to alter the results.
All we asked of you (assuming you didn't volunteer for the good of humanity) was to count them votes. The rest was you distorting the image.
You didn't ask me anything kid, you weren't even here at the time I began doing these polls. I proposed them, I did the counting and I posted the results. Don't like them, don't read them.

That's the difference here - I did and got what I wanted, while you just whine impotently like a baby that people aren't doing what you want. Grow the fuck up. And go study some math.

A poll is a popularity contest, its whole point is to show what the majority of people think.
If the majority of people think Fallout 4 sucks, that doesn't make it the winner of a popularity contest bro. You're confusing two very different concepts.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
A poll is a popularity contest, its whole point is to show what the majority of people think.
If the majority of people think Fallout 4 sucks, that doesn't make it the winner of a popularity contest bro. You're confusing two very different concepts.

But it makes it a very popular opinion, doesn't it? And at the end of the day, the more popular the opinion, the better it is to represent Codexian thoughts on a particular game.

I forgot to reply earlier, but my issue with the Bayesian average is that it is a bit random in how it works: it isn't an exact representation of reality, just like it wouldn't be an accurate representation to say "this game has a higher average, thus it's better". The Rance case is very, very specific: it's a hentai game mixed up with a strategy game, so you can't expect a good amount of people to have played it. It's so niche that the only people who have played it agree it is awesome, in the same way only coprofags would eat shit and then vote it 5/5.

I'm just saying. I'd rather stick with the hard facts, rank all games by the average points, and leave it up to viewer's discretion to consider whether a game like Rance VI is actually that good, or whether it requires a very specific mindset to like it.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy

Best combat
Best characters
Etc.

Great idea and something different at least. And I doubt that top 70 list would look much different now (and if it did it would probably be for the worse).
We could do "best dungeon crawler", "best blobber", "best action RPG", and so on.
Bad idea. There are some RPGs that are hard to categorize, there is a reason why "what is an RPG" question has a special meaning to Codexers.

Shin

Cipher
At this point the "top codex RPG list" could be a cRPG in it's own right.

Well, I am not talking specifically about Fallout 4 here, but about the approach in general.

As I see it, the problem lies in having two conflicting goals. One, to make a top 25 rpg list of a certain time period, according to what the community as a whole thinks. Two, to use an approach that rewards the 'good' games instead of the popular ones.

Basically, poll results based on this approach do not accurately represent the consensus. And if a poll doesn't represent the consensus, then what it represents?

Aenra

You didn't ask me anything kid ... Don't like them, don't read them

I've seen your pics beaner, it's me that sould be calling you a kid, but i left it on a simple adult-to-adult. We could always change that. You wanna add income or experience into it? All good by me, though knowing your job begging history, you wouldn't like that either :)

Now back to topic, i had some arguments. You couldn't refute them, instead you reinforced them by admitting you "make quality", not "count results". I rest my case i think.
You wanna come back with a teenie angst-ridden "don't read them then!" to save face, address the juveniles participating, not me. Happy bean counting ^^

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Top 70's method had the benefit of being very granular. I assign torment 15 points because I think it's better than bloodlines which only gets 14, and so on.

Age of incline's method narrows everything to 1-5, so "good games" get narrowed to 4-5, and now planescape and bloodlines have the same score.

Then we keep it 3 to 10, if only because that will prevent morons from shitting on games that certainly don't deserve anything less than a 3.

Combat relies mostly on player's skills instead of character's skills, so nope.

How exactly can the combat "rely" on character's skill? Your build gives you a certain variety of combat options, but the result of an encounter shouldn't be decided from the player's skill?

(Not talking about fallout here, the point is about RPGs in general)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom