Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[deleted]

Self-Ejected

The Game Analists

Self-Ejected
[deleted]

Last edited:

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
OeXjPfI.png

Rpgsaurus Rex

Busin 0 for PS2. My characters keep dying on level 1 and I'm running out of money for rest/revive. :argh:

I guess it's my fault for not dodging the 'red' enemies, though. May restart.

Courtier

Prophet
Elminage Gothic weeds out 90% of players in the first dungeon, progressively gets harder and culminates in a monstrous 20-level postgame dungeon where teleport is disabled and every single encounter can easily result in TPK. It is Wiz 1-5 refined to perfection and then taken a step further. Estimated time to beat the game 150-200 hours, Codexers that have beaten it can be counted on one hand

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Chaos Strikes Back has its moments. Traps where you are surrounded by munchers and dead in ten seconds, that room with vexirk that blocks you under portcullis, so you are smashed very fast and so on.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Chaos Strikes Back has its moments. Traps where you are surrounded by munchers and dead in ten seconds, that room with vexirk that blocks you under portcullis, so you are smashed very fast and so on.

One of my fondest memories of CSB was the place where every time you passed a pit some munchers flowed up and started nibbling. After a while I got so tired of it that I jumped down the pit to exterminate the little buggers. I ended up in a room that was wall to wall muchers, and they munched up my party much faster that I could kill them.

Pyreen

Educated
Elminage Gothic weeds out 90% of players in the first dungeon, progressively gets harder and culminates in a monstrous 20-level postgame dungeon where teleport is disabled and every single encounter can easily result in TPK. It is Wiz 1-5 refined to perfection and then taken a step further. Estimated time to beat the game 150-200 hours, Codexers that have beaten it can be counted on one hand

Yeah but you can save wherever and how often you want incl. inside the dungeons, and encounters are balanced with that in mind. So those TPKs lose a lot of their sting.
By far the hardest and most unforgiving crawler Ive ever played is Wizardry 4, and by quite a large margin.

Courtier

Prophet
100% agreed, Wiz4 takes the cake. Though you could also save anywhere in W4. In both games, saving and reloading respawns the guardians/fixed encounters. But playing 4 is more of an exercise in solving the dungeon as though it were a giant puzzle and experiencing Werdna's bizarre journey, it's not something you play for the same reasons as any other blobber (set MC, no character creation, no traditional leveling, loot plays a minor role, highly puzzle-based, some choices can make your game literally unwinnable and you have to restart...)

Extremely difficult to beat without looking anything up, and the puzzles are far more important than the combat

Most definitely, Wizardry 4. The fact that those ninjas could one-shot you, and then you had enemy mages who were armed with AOE spells that were able to wipe entire parties of monsters - I remember this game just being ridiculously hard. The player was definitely set up for failure from the outset.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Combatwise Wiz 4 was not that hard (at least compared to some other TB Blobbers) until The Ziggurat (3rd or 4th level of the game).
Getting to the top of the Ziggurat was almost like a Sisophys simulator...

Last edited:

V_K

Arcane
Legacy: Realm of Terror.
It's single-character and you can save anytime, but it won't help you much because resource management can will fuck you up real good in the long run.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
It's single-character and you can save anytime, but it won't help you much because resource management can will fuck you up real good in the long run.
As man who finished Legacy four times, it's not really hard with katana and that Iron Fist spell or by using special items. Though it's indeed very, very hard game.

One of my fondest memories of CSB was the place where every time you passed a pit some munchers flowed up and started nibbling. After a while I got so tired of it that I jumped down the pit to exterminate the little buggers. I ended up in a room that was wall to wall muchers, and they munched up my party much faster that I could kill them.
Yep, I almost shat my pants.

V_K

Arcane
As man who finished Legacy four times, it's not really hard with katana and that Iron Fist spell or by using special items.
I'd say unless the difficulty comes out of complete randomness (which is never a good design), any game is bound to feel much easier the 4th time around ;)

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Been there, done that. Had to give up the first time due to running out of ammo.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The beginning of Alternate Reality: The Dungeon sounds absolutely viscious based on CRPG Addict's comments on his blog. But then he sometime make things harder for himself than needed...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom