Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Expeditions: Viking Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Expeditions: Viking; Logic Artists

Expeditions: Viking, the historical Norse RPG from Danish studio Logic Artists and successor to 2013's well-received Expeditions: Conquistador, has been released and is available on Steam now, with a GOG release to come tomorrow. The game hasn't gotten a great deal of hype and most Codexers seem to have avoided the beta, so I have no idea how it will be received. A rare thing in this age of open development and preconceptions. All I know is that the trailer looks great:

Get ready for an adventure in history! Logic Artists, the makers of Expeditions: Conquistador, are pleased to bring you Expeditions: Viking.

Prepare for a grand adventure

As the newly appointed chieftain of a modest Viking clan, you’ll have a village of your very own. But to carve your name into the runestones of history you’ll need great strength, and great wealth to grow your village’s prosperity and renown. There is little left to be gained from the Norse lands and so you must set your sights on the the seas to the West, where tales speak of a great island filled with treasure ready for the taking.

Seek your fortune

Your trusted huscarls will follow you to Valhalla if that be the order of the day, but you’ll need more than loyalty to leave a legacy that will be remembered for a thousand years. Now assemble a worthy band of warriors, build a ship, and seek your wealth and glory across the sea. Britannia awaits in Logic Artists’ Expeditions: Viking.

Main features:
  • Create your very own Viking chieftain! Carve out your character from our unique character system, where stats, skills, and abilities define your character’s role.
  • Raiding or Trading? Vikings were known not only as violent warriors, but savvy tradesfolk. How will you find wealth, with the carrot or the stick?
  • War and Politics: Side with various factions be they Norsemen, Picts, or Angles.
  • Reputation: Be mindful of your choices, the stories of your actions may bring others to fear you, but will they trust you?
  • Step into the pages of history: In a beautiful and visceral telling of the Nordic history.

As stated in last week's press release, Expeditions: Viking's price is $30, with a 10% launch discount until next week. The Blood-Ice DLC mentioned in the press release is an item DLC that appears to be free for everybody, so that's nice. The game has gotten a few reviews, at HookedGamers, GameSpew, God Is A Geek and COGconnected, but seems to be receiving little attention from the larger sites. Let's hope it does alright.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lhynn

Arcane
Will you be able to use your chieftain in battles on this one? or has that retarded design choice where you cant be in a fight been imported from their last game?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Will you be able to use your chieftain in battles on this one? or has that retarded design choice where you cant be in a fight been imported from their last game?

You haven't been paying much attention to this game have you

Yes, it's more of a standard RPG now. You are a character in the world.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Still in prologue, but damn the combat is fun. I went with a board and sword guy with some diplomatic knowledge. There seem to be a lot of skills to try out, really nice.

Ruzen

Savant
Enjoying so far. Combat is more fun than the first one but the writing is much more tiring to read; using too many "native" terms without proper explanation. Also, narative gives a lot of spoilers before I start conversations. Different direction on writing but still passable I think. Character creation much more detailed and graphics are good, especially on snowy weathers. Portraits are more detailed than before. They added more (much more) gameplay features this time. UI is not ok almost bad, I hope they could improve the UI at some point. The difficulty is not that deadly as the first one (yet). Didn't finish It yet but I'm already thinking of playing differently for the second time.

Expeditions: Conquistador was my favorite RPG in 2013 (yes I know Shadowrun returns was released too) and I specifically tried to block myself to get information about the game to get the WOW effect, but It didn't do that. It is certainly a hit, but I guess the changing about the writing was a turn off for me.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I agree that the UI is ugly which drags down the presentation. The black big block that takes up 33% of the screen is not pretty. If they gave it a wooden finish or something like in Battle Brothers it would look much better. The font is also kinda fugly.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I agree that the UI is ugly which drags down the presentation. The black big block that takes up 33% of the screen is not pretty. If they gave it a wooden finish or something like in Battle Brothers it would look much better. The font is also kinda fugly.

They could add several different skins. Variety of wood and steel backgrounds + different regular colors for those who like black big blocks.

daveyd

Savant
:d1p:
Waiting for the GOG release. Used a week of vacation next week so I'll have plenty of time to play it.

aratuk

Cipher
Was there a Kickstarter or equivalent for this? Want to be sure I haven't already bought it, before I buy it.

:deathclaw:

Jinn

Arcane
Been playing this for a couple hours now and I'm very impressed by what I've seen so far! Great turn-based hex combat, lots of skills to choose from for both in and out of combat, skills and primary stats providing a fair amount of dialogue options, faction and reputation play, excellent presentation (music and art direction have been top-notch so far, though the UI could use a little work and I don't much care for in battle skill icon colors and designs), nice historical setting, and overall decent writing. Seems there may be a good amount of C&C at play here too, though I can't confidently say at this point.

As of right now, I would highly recommend checking this game out. Seems like incline to me.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Got a e-mail from devs with a gift code for BLood & Ice DLC only to find out that DLC is free on steam anyway.
What trickery is this?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom