Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News JRPG-inspired tactical RPG Bevontule now on Steam Greenlight

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Bevontule; Multithreaded Games

Last year we posted about Bevontule, an indie turn-based roleplaying game inspired by Japanese tactical RPGs, although it didn't look particularly Japanese other than the user interface. Since then, development has continued and now the developers, who have renamed themselves from Liminal LLC to Multithreaded Games, are looking to make it through Steam Greenlight. Here's the trailer they put together for their very detailed Greenlight page:

Bevontule is a modern take on the role-playing genre, inspired heavily by Japanese, open-world and tactical RPGs. While we draw from and are happy to list our many 'golden age'-era influences, Bevontule maintains a strong identity, presenting an array of unique gameplay elements that expand upon and innovate beyond many of the systems we ourselves loved as children.

KEY FEATURES:
  • Mature and highly-detailed plot spanning thousands of years, inspired by games like Xenogears and Shadow Hearts.
  • Unique and challenging tactical, turn-based combat system where proper positioning and timing are critical.
  • Beautiful 3D environments to discover, explore and conquer, including a massive, JRPG-style overworld.
  • Free-roaming enemies with a wide variety of movement patterns, behaviors and habitats; avoid or engage at your own discretion!
  • Unrelenting and highly-intelligent enemy AI that can be scaled to various difficulty levels.
  • A large cast of interesting characters with defined roles, yet deeply customizable skillsets, with multiple builds for each combatant.
  • Enemies learn and level up as you do, accessing new skills, tactics and other ‘enhancements.’
  • Unlock, learn and equip from hundreds of combat skills, attribute bonuses, and world-based buffs.
  • Scavenge, create and upgrade items with our original skill-based crafting system.
  • Integrated bestiary system that rewards discovery, experimentation and exploitation of enemies for rewards.
  • Loads of side-quests, optional bosses/areas, and minigames!

Bevontule was supposed to come out this year at one point, but now the Greenlight page says the release date is Q4 2018, while the official website speaks of an episodic release with the first part due for release sometime in 2018. I guess Multithreaded found out like so many others that developing in Unity wasn't quite as simple as they thought. Anyway, you can give them a hand by giving them your vote.

Severian Silk

I don't like the Mordheim-style movement circles. I prefer a grid. Much easier, and less fiddly.

Otherwise the game looks okay. I'm guessing he's designing the game for controllers, which may be bad.

jungl

Augur
Im getting a quest 64 and aidyn chronicles vibe from looking at that trailer. Interseting they say inspired by xenogears and shadow hearts. Could be worth playing.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think it looks really cool.
Dragon's Dogma comes to mind. But with a TB battle system.

Do you get to make your own party or are the characters pregenned?

covr

Prophet
Patron
Why this is front page news?
Why shouldn't a cool-looking RPG get front page news?

Because it looks like another generic unity-store amateur FF wannabe but with 'European' graphic (protip:it's also cheaper to buy such assests). Face it, this will be another cheap 4/10 shovelware/bundleware nobody cares about, even on the Codex there was like one small thread about this, probably submitted by your or game developer.

I am not saying that posting this as the front page news is bad, it's better to post something that nothing. But yet, I am unable to find any information on the front page about Grimoire being greenlighted or release date being announced. And the Grimoire thread is almost 1k pages long full of crpg nostalgia, anger and Cleveland Mark Blakemore pure gold.

Last edited:

RatTower

Arcane
Developer
... inspired heavily by Japanese, open-world and tactical RPGs.

Oh yeah? So where are the anime girls with the big tiddies?

On a more serious note: I voted for it, but whenever I see crafting coming up as one of the advertised features (including item gathering) I get suspicious about the game's design strategy.
Crafting - in the way it is mostly found in modern games - is a derivate of online RPG crafting systems, which were mainly designed as time sinks, to bind players for another month.
Even triple-A developers fall into the trap of thinking they "have to" include this system, despite the fact that at its core it is not very fun. It's mostly just staring at a crafting screen, making useless items and pushing some skill level.
Instead they should just go with something that feels more natural within the game world and actually provides the player with something helpful.
As a minimalist example for that, you could even take the holy water pools in Thief 1's "Return to the Haunted Cathedral" - sure it's just one combination to create a holy water arrow, but at the end of the day it is a form of crafting and it actually gives you something really useful - instead of 1000 daggers, that will break the game's economy once you unload them into some NPC's shop.

In short: Fuck (most) crafting systems!

Combat looks pretty solid for Pre-Alpha though.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
From now on, we should only have news about Mass Effect, Dragon Age, The Elder Scrolls and nu-Fallout games.

That should please some people.

I don't get the complaining. The concept seems decent enough. The demo shows promise. I'm not expecting a cult classic, but it seems like a game worth covering.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom