Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt Devs name their favourite games

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
http://www.techradar.com/news/cd-projekt-reds-favorite-pc-games-of-all-time

Mateusz Tomaszkiewicz - Principal (?) Narrative Designer
Gothic II

I would say that Gothic II is one of my all-time-favorites on PC — it's one of my first RPG games, and one of most the immersive RPGs I played.

I remember that I was very surprised how every NPC had their own place in the world; how they reacted to various player actions like entering their houses, taking their things, or even just unsheathing your weapon in front of them.

This, plus the right combination of immersive gameplay systems, made the world feel alive and believable — you wouldn’t just enter a UI-based crafting panel and craft a sword like you do nowadays, you would heat up the metal first, then form it on an anvil, then heat it in bucket of water, and later sharpen it on a grindstone.

When joining a faction or a guild, the world around you would also react to you in different ways. For example, if you get arrested, you could expected a guard to let you go since you’ve become a revered Fire Mage. Those are just a few examples of how Gothic handled things differently, which always inspired me to strive for crafting most immersive experiences possible.

:outrage:

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Once again proving nostalgia and firsts determines favorites.

Got bored and left

asking a potato about his favourite RPG is pointless
in nine cases out of ten it's going to be either Gothic 2 or modded Gothic 2

And the tenth case (me) is gonna say Gothic 1. Although I think another CDPR dev said he really loved Ultima VII.

True enough, but it's not like Gothic doesn't deserve some love, the first two games did A LOT right.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
True enough, but it's not like Gothic doesn't deserve some love, the first two games did A LOT right.

I'm in full agreement with you, he picked a good first.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Despite the edgy moronics here, the guys have a very good taste. Ultima 7/Gothic 2/MGS/Jagged Alliance 2 are all fucking masterpieces. Quake was good as far as shooters go for its time as well.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Jagged Alliance 2 demonstrates excellent taste, but is a somewhat curious choice for a Principal Writer, considering it's relatively light on story. The only specific aspect of the writing he mentions are the character interactions, in particular certain mercenaries despising each other and refusing to re-enlist in the other's presence. This certainly added to the game, but was very far from a fundamental part of the story-telling.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The Tao of video game writing suggests that less is definitely more. It's why a high tier writer like Chris Avellone likes System Shock 2 the most.

Keppo

Arbiter
Jagged Alliance 2 demonstrates excellent taste, but is a somewhat curious choice for a Principal Writer, considering it's relatively light on story. The only specific aspect of the writing he mentions are the character interactions, in particular certain mercenaries despising each other and refusing to re-enlist in the other's presence. This certainly added to the game, but was very far from a fundamental part of the story-telling.

He is making money from writing, maybe in his free time he just prefer more strategic games than story heavy focused, who knows

There is full list from article, if u dont want click:

Mateusz Piaskiewicz - Lead Level Designer
Quake

Kacper Niepokólczycki - Senior Environment Artist

Metal Gear Solid

Mateusz Tomaszkiewicz - Principal Narrative Designer

Gothic II

Konrad Tomaszkiewicz - Game Director

Ultima VII: The Black Gate

Jakub Szamałek - Principal Writer

Jagged Alliance 2

pippin

That's a pretty good selection for a AA 1/2 studio. I certainly wouldn't expect american devs quoting JA or Gothic, and I got a little sad when Sven Vincke was talking about DOS and had to mention Baldur's Gate because nobody remembered u7 anymore.

In contrast, most big japanese devs like Skyrim, but I think the question was limited to a GOTY type deal instead of a favorite game of all time.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Jagged Alliance 2 demonstrates excellent taste, but is a somewhat curious choice for a Principal Writer, considering it's relatively light on story.
There's absolutely nothing strange about it. Games like JA2 and Wiz8 have much, much better writing than a vast majority of storyfag-approved games like various Obsipoop titles et al.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I wouldn't go that far, but I certainly think those games kept in mind both their scope and what they were.

These two things alone will go quite a distance to prevent pulling Andromeda aka aiming for the stars and then flopping magnificently because of lack of talent and general coherency in the product. Looking beyond RPGs game like Alpha Centauri is infinitely better written than some most modern RPGs that are so full of themselves and feel like they have to tell some epic story by default. I do wish RPGs in particular would sometimes go back to simpler days without being a Wiki compiler's wet dream with all the fluff and almost token lore entries left and right. If you don't have an interesting world from inception no amount of interns you relegate to writing generic notes player comes across is going to change that fact.

Got bored and left

I wouldn't go that far, but I certainly think those games kept in mind both their scope and what they were.

These two things alone will go quite a distance to prevent pulling Andromeda aka aiming for the stars and then flopping magnificently because of lack of talent and general coherency in the product. Looking beyond RPGs game like Alpha Centauri is infinitely better written than some most modern RPGs that are so full of themselves and feel like they have to tell some epic story by default. I do wish RPGs in particular would sometimes go back to simpler days without being a Wiki compiler's wet dream with all the fluff and almost token lore entries left and right. If you don't have an interesting world from inception no amount of interns you relegate to writing generic notes player comes across is going to change that fact.

I'd go even futher - I would really, really love for at least some RPG's to have smaller (in scope), more personal stories. Not every game has to be a Tolkienesque trek through a goddamn continent, along which you discover the ultimate secrets of everything, and I'm kinda tired of seeing pretty much only that. That's part of the reason why the first Gothic works for me so much - sure, you defeat a big bad demon at the end, but in the grand scheme of things, you haven't changed a whole lot; you mostly just affected this one, God-forsaken backwater, you didn't save or damn the whole fucking universe forever. Of course, it's not the best example of what I'm talking about, but it's give or take the direction I'd like more games to go in.

bat_boro

Arcane
So will CDPR attend the E3 conference this year? I read some articles that said they won't but I guess this would be fake news... right?

Paul_cz

Arcane
So will CDPR attend the E3 conference this year? I read some articles that said they won't but I guess this would be fake news... right?
I think they will, but they will only promote Gwent there, Cyberpunk is for another year.

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
If a dev names older game, it is either nostalgia or an attempt to gain the love of older gamers.
If he names something currently new and popular, then he is being dishonest or has plebeian taste.

You just cannot win, can you...

Jrpgfan

Erudite
I remember watching an interview once on gamespot with some guy from CDPR where he said his favorite game was Fallout 1. I guess they do have good taste over there.
Too bad they are unable to make anything as good as the games they like :edgy:

RepHope

Savant
Good taste. But it doesn't really mean much. They're not going to try to make anything like the isometric games of old.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
asking a potato about his favourite RPG is pointless
in nine cases out of ten it's going to be either Gothic 2 or modded Gothic 2
Prestigious ones would answer Star trail or Fate : Gates of dawn. :rpgcodex:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom