Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Academagia: The Making of Mages

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

Very good CYOA with plenty of choices, events, stats, spells, interactions, items and other shit to do. While thematically close to Harry Potter it has much lighter and homely feel to it, more in the vein of stuff that Jim Henson (Labyrinth and the like) used to do.

The only thing you should before going in is that you can resize and drag parts of UI the same way you do it in OS and you can increase font size by tapping + on the numpad.

How many years this version simulates?

Mortmal

Arcane
One of the few CYOA RPGs I couldn't get into. A complete sandbox, I had nothing to work towards and the choices all felt empty. That and you really needed to grind your stats to get anywhere. I don't understand the appeal of it.
Same here, i thought it had enormous potential but in fact you just need to set train for various stats with one of the most user unfriendly interface ever. Then you pray some of the random events will make use of your stats and that you have enough of them.No goal to work toward either or i missed them.

hello friend

Arcane
This dude keeps bullying me, it's annoying. I'd like to challenge him to a duel as I'd magic him through the floor, but there's no clear way to initiate a duel? Not sure how to counter bullying tbh, my strength stat is low. I've tried raising schoolyard whatever, I don't know if that even raises bully resists but it's the only thing I can think of.

Lhynn

Arcane
It could have been good. Sadly the writing is pretty uninteresting, the events are boring. This wouldnt be such a big issue if it wasnt because the events are the game. Its also very overwritten, you can skip large swathes of text and not miss a thing.

- The sense that the intuitive play is suboptimal play. A few hours and restarts in I realized that there's an optimal charagen (or at least, not crippled charagen) build that focuses on maximizing attributes using background modifiers instead of straight buying attribute points, and an optimal early game that skips classes altogether and goes intensive training to unlock quick attribute boosts. That's wayyyy metagamey!

It's fascinating how it's always lost on spergs that breaking, abusing and otherwise fooling/figuring out the mechanics doesn't make them META by design. You are aware that you are allowed to fail right? There's no real point to the game either (no perfect score to achieve, no ending or closure of any meaningful kind), it's just a year of some kid's life. Not to mention the fact that is exactly what CYOA games do, they allow you to play the way you want to play them, yet you complain about the game doing what it's supposed to.

:happytrollboy:

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
Eew, if I wanted to spend half a day shuffling excel sheets, I'd rather get a side job as an accountant. Just as boring as this, but at least they pay you and not the other way around.

Mortmal

Arcane
Why as soon as stats are mentioned in any game people start obsessing over them, it's just there to help you visualize the role you are playing, in a role playing game.

:negative:
Same old argument to justify the lack of content and fun gameplay, use your imagination ,roleplay it...You are the kind of player probably satisfied by games like elite dangerous too. I dont need to pay them for that, i can open the notepad and write a story , lalala i roleplay a knight in shiny armor, i want to be a dragon .
Now if you want some fun school life CYOA game try girl life https://www.tfgamessite.com/?module=viewgame&id=597 . You can roleplay in that too and its free !

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom