Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bayonetta 1 released on PC

Declinator

Arbiter
game's combat is still astounding and yet to be matched. dodge cancelling is a brilliant mechanic and a real game changer.
Pretty sure God Hand had dodge cancelling back in 2006 and I wouldn't necessarily bet on it being the first one to have it either. Bayonetta's combat is dragged down by its focus on spectacle rather than good fights. The boss fights especially suffer.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I heard that Bayonetta is good but Bayonetta 2 is widely regarded as the true masterpiece of the series. Your comments follow.

Ivan

Arcane
that was my thought when I first finished Bayo 2, but then again I'm a "casual" Bayonetta player. I haven't mastered dodge offsetting, nor can I finish the game on the harder difficulties without spamming item uses or stringing together perfect combos. it's my understanding that the elite players have found Bayo 2 to be dumbed down (it has a shoehorned "powered up" trigger like DMC3 or God of War) and it has a more obtuse scoring system. but if you're a casual player then yes, it LOOKS gorgeous, FEELS great, and is generally a better experience for the first 2 playthroughs....unless you dig deeply into its combat and scoring mechanics like the elite players

as a fan of these hack and slash games, I definitely hold Bayo 2 above 1 in my experience, right alongside Revengeance, God Hand and Devil May Cry 3.

Quatlo

Arcane
On the upside, CEMU is progressing steadily and i can already play Bayo 2 at 60 fps, sound is barely working unfortunately and 2d graphics glitch the hell out.
One year and we should be able to play it perfectly, so Nintendshit might feel obliged to actually relase half assed port just to get a piece of the pie.

Walden

Savant
C9ORLsEXkAAoDkD.jpg

Heresiarch

Prophet
Art direction is stupid as fuck, but i'll try the game if Codex vouches it has good gameplay.

I agree. The environment design and the lore/enemy/weapon menus are a mess to look at. Combat for some reason feels way more chaotic than Metal Gear Rising/Nier Automata. Character dialogues are full of dafuq. Perhaps I put way too much expectation into it.

Also, I do not know if I'm alone in this, but I do not find Bayonetta "hot" at all. Flexible sexy poses, eyeglasses and super long legs are just not my fetish at all. Her head is also too small compared to her body.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Art direction is stupid as fuck, but i'll try the game if Codex vouches it has good gameplay.

I agree. The environment design and the lore/enemy/weapon menus are a mess to look at. Combat for some reason feels way more chaotic than Metal Gear Rising/Nier Automata. Character dialogues are full of dafuq. Perhaps I put way too much expectation into it.

Also, I do not know if I'm alone in this, but I do not find Bayonetta "hot" at all. Flexible sexy poses, eyeglasses and super long legs are just not my fetish at all. Her head is also too small compared to her body.
I haven't gotten a single boner while playing Bayonetta. You're not the only one.

Quatlo

Arcane
I really don't think her behaviour is meant to be "hot"
I've always thought she is supposed to be ridiculously over the top in the Jojo way.

Lostpleb

Learned
I really don't think her behaviour is meant to be "hot"
I've always thought she is supposed to be ridiculously over the top in the Jojo way.
kImrwlb.jpg

You can almost make out her anus.

XK1ifLy.jpg

Although, to be fair, Bayonetta does have some proportion issues (mainly legs and head). It is immersion-breaking and a bit of a turnoff.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Bayonetta isn't my type but she is clearly "hot" in a similar wise as say Morrigan from Dragon Age.

Perhaps that is the problem.

sullynathan

Arcane
Game is very fun, certainly more fun than Devil May Cry 1 & 2 which I played more recently. I do have a concern though, when I play the game at 60fps it runs fine, but if it dips to 30fps, even if it is locked, it stutters like hell. is there a fix for this?

I tried this game for a bit but it's way too :prosper: for me to handle. It could have the best gameplay in the world, still wouldn't want to get brain cancer.

Suicidal

Arcane
Just beat it. Great game, probably the closest thing to Devil May Cry on the market that's not Devil May Cry. I think the combat is even better than in DMC because of how many different weapon combinations it's possible to use and how many different combos you can chain. Also most of the weapons were more fun to use than in DMC, where I usually preferred to stick with the starting sword.

Two things I disliked:

The dodge button. I think it should be renamed to the immortality button because that's basically what it does. Dunno about you guys, but I dislike having these very easy ways to avoid damage in modern slasher games. Metal Gear Rising has the block/parry (granted it was a bit harder to use than the dodge here), Bayonetta has the dodge, Dark Souls has the roll. I'd very much prefer if your dodge move didn't make you temporarily immortal and you actually had to dodge/dash/jump in the correct direction in order to not get hit. Here you can just spam dodge and avoid all damage. Doesn't matter where you move, you can dodge INTO the projectile flying at you and still take no damage.

I didn't like most of the boss battles. The giant ones in particular. The fights against Jeanne and the priest were great, but the big monster bosses felt more like obstacle courses with quick time events rather than actual fights. I remember DMC 4 had a boss like that, and I don't mind seeing it once, maybe twice. But here there are too many of them and they all kinda feel the same - attack face for a bit, run the obstacle course, quick time event, repeat a few times. I actually enjoyed killing the random trash mobs more than fighting the bosses - some enemies, like the the improved version of those birdmen that have golden armor and are immune to your time stop gave me a lot more trouble and felt much more rewarding to beat.

But despite these things, I really enjoyed it. Definitely gonna replay on harder difficulties as well.

sullynathan

Arcane
Just beat the game and it was really really good, but there is shit littered in many places. Bayonetta has way too many QTE's that sours the boss fights. The final Jeanne, Balder and final boss was great but the final boss was very messy with all the QTE jumping and I swear the game glitched on me.
There are also certain weird enemies that for some reason, witch time didn't activate at all when I fought them. Some of those parts of the game where you need a fast QTE or you're supposed to wait for a bridge to destroy or you just die is stupid as hell and the fact that it affects your score is retarded.

Hopefully Bayonetta 2 has less QTE's

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Just beat the game and it was really really good, but there is shit littered in many places. Bayonetta has way too many QTE's that sours the boss fights. The final Jeanne, Balder and final boss was great but the final boss was very messy with all the QTE jumping and I swear the game glitched on me.
There are also certain weird enemies that for some reason, witch time didn't activate at all when I fought them. Some of those parts of the game where you need a fast QTE or you're supposed to wait for a bridge to destroy or you just die is stupid as hell and the fact that it affects your score is retarded.

Hopefully Bayonetta 2 has less QTE's
You mean these? http://bayonetta.wikia.com/wiki/Gracious_and_Glorious

They're immune to witch-time (except if you have a certain accessory and parry them with it)

The lack of Witch Time in the highest difficulties is what kept me from playing them. WT is my favorite part of the game, and I wasn't skilled enough to do without it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom