Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also this:

aHmkQTT3te96qEixnTH5wg-650-80.jpg

Mateusz Tomaszkiewicz - Principal Narrative Designer

Gothic II

I would say that Gothic II is one of my all-time-favorites on PC — it's one of my first RPG games, and one of most the immersive RPGs I played.

I remember that I was very surprised how every NPC had their own place in the world; how they reacted to various player actions like entering their houses, taking their things, or even just unsheathing your weapon in front of them.

This, plus the right combination of immersive gameplay systems, made the world feel alive and believable — you wouldn’t just enter a UI-based crafting panel and craft a sword like you do nowadays, you would heat up the metal first, then form it on an anvil, then heat it in bucket of water, and later sharpen it on a grindstone.

When joining a faction or a guild, the world around you would also react to you in different ways. For example, if you get arrested, you could expected a guard to let you go since you’ve become a revered Fire Mage. Those are just a few examples of how Gothic handled things differently, which always inspired me to strive for crafting most immersive experiences possible.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

iLFK7zsfRF9LtqkMjJJtDP-650-80.jpg

Jakub Szamałek - Principal Writer

Jagged Alliance 2

Picking a favorite game is like being asked which of your kids you love most – it’s a hard one to answer!

But, if I’d really have to choose, I’d go with Jagged Alliance 2. Huge open world to explore, deep tactical combat with RPG elements, a well-told story – and, best of all, amazing character interactions!

I remember in particular how in one run I accidentally hired two recently divorced mercenaries who hated the guts out of each other and bickered the whole time, ruining the whole team’s morale – and eventually undermining the whole mission.

Even though the graphics have aged a tad, the game is still heaps of fun and I boot it up at least once a year. If you haven’t given it a try yet, I suggest you rectify your mistake right away!

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Also this:

aHmkQTT3te96qEixnTH5wg-650-80.jpg

Mateusz Tomaszkiewicz - Principal Narrative Designer

Gothic II

I would say that Gothic II is one of my all-time-favorites on PC — it's one of my first RPG games, and one of most the immersive RPGs I played.

I remember that I was very surprised how every NPC had their own place in the world; how they reacted to various player actions like entering their houses, taking their things, or even just unsheathing your weapon in front of them.

This, plus the right combination of immersive gameplay systems, made the world feel alive and believable — you wouldn’t just enter a UI-based crafting panel and craft a sword like you do nowadays, you would heat up the metal first, then form it on an anvil, then heat it in bucket of water, and later sharpen it on a grindstone.

When joining a faction or a guild, the world around you would also react to you in different ways. For example, if you get arrested, you could expected a guard to let you go since you’ve become a revered Fire Mage. Those are just a few examples of how Gothic handled things differently, which always inspired me to strive for crafting most immersive experiences possible.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

iLFK7zsfRF9LtqkMjJJtDP-650-80.jpg

Jakub Szamałek - Principal Writer

Jagged Alliance 2

Picking a favorite game is like being asked which of your kids you love most – it’s a hard one to answer!

But, if I’d really have to choose, I’d go with Jagged Alliance 2. Huge open world to explore, deep tactical combat with RPG elements, a well-told story – and, best of all, amazing character interactions!

I remember in particular how in one run I accidentally hired two recently divorced mercenaries who hated the guts out of each other and bickered the whole time, ruining the whole team’s morale – and eventually undermining the whole mission.

Even though the graphics have aged a tad, the game is still heaps of fun and I boot it up at least once a year. If you haven’t given it a try yet, I suggest you rectify your mistake right away!

Interesting...between them they like Gothic 2, JA2, U7, MM7....fuck CDPR has the monies now, time to stop pandering to just AAA sensibilities and branch out a bit. Perhaps a Hi-Lo mix like Interplay did with the 'A' BG and 'B' FO should be the way to go? Maybe use the W3 engine on a tighter, smaller RPG(like G2) with more old school mechanics to release in the 'trough' period between the big AAA titles? Can only see benefits to this, keeping staff doing things and honing skills when they aren't needed on the AAA project and testing out mechanics and concepts while at the end of the day still releasing another game to try to make money off and to maintain awareness of the brand.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Interesting...between them they like Gothic 2, JA2, U7, MM7....fuck CDPR has the monies now, time to stop pandering to just AAA sensibilities and branch out a bit. Perhaps a Hi-Lo mix like Interplay did with the 'A' BG and 'B' FO should be the way to go? Maybe use the W3 engine on a tighter, smaller RPG(like G2) with more old school mechanics to release in the 'trough' period between the big AAA titles? Can only see benefits to this, keeping staff doing things and honing skills when they aren't needed on the AAA project and testing out mechanics and concepts while at the end of the day still releasing another game to try to make money off and to maintain awareness of the brand.
They have already branched into AAA (Witcher 3, Cyberpunk, whatever secret project they have in development) and free-to-pay-to-win card game (Gwent). I think this is as much as we can reasonably expect.

Perkel

Arcane
netflix witcher tv series is pretty much what fans wanted.

Platine Image will be doing FX so it will be good and cheap while netflix know how will get them proper actors and rest of the stuff and financing for pilot. (doubt they will make more than few eps right now). Netflix will screen it and they will see if this thing works or not.

duchU

Educated
It took me almost two years (and 300+ hours), but I have finally finished The Witcher 3 + addons today.

Despite its flaws (of which there are many), this is still one of the best games I have ever played, and got even better with Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine. Blood and Wine is probably my favourite RPG expansion ever, alongside Night of the Raven.
What is so great about Blood and Wine that so many people praise it so much? I mean it's good but it has nothing to compete with Hearts of Stone unless someone is Pony Level (D3) lover... HoS is probably the best part of the whole Witcher game series (including TW1).

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
What is so great about Blood and Wine (...) it has nothing to compete with Hearts of Stone unless someone is Pony Level (D3) lover...
You are greatly oversimplifying, but you obviously know that already.
Personally, I enjoyed both expanions, but Hearts of Stone had too small a scope to really compete, even if it had better Quality Hours Ratio (TM) to its overall length. I liked the main plotline in HoS more - in BaW it starts well, and then sort of craps out after the forced time skip. However, BaW has loads of other quality stuff - along with some filler (well done filler, though).

duchU

Educated
What is so great about Blood and Wine (...) it has nothing to compete with Hearts of Stone unless someone is Pony Level (D3) lover...
You are greatly oversimplifying, but you obviously know that already.
Personally, I enjoyed both expanions, but Hearts of Stone had too small a scope to really compete, even if it had better Quality Hours Ratio (TM) to its overall length. I liked the main plotline in HoS more - in BaW it starts well, and then sort of craps out after the forced time skip. However, BaW has loads of other quality stuff - along with some filler (well done filler, though).
Length is related to the fact that BaW goes with the new area but it's only more 'x' or rather '? marks the spot' TBH and the base game has them enough. The only really positive here is Regis but even he is kinda not that great like many other characters in the base game / HoS. Not sure why, though. Maybe because I have always seen him younger in comparison to his game character. And the ending when Yennefer showed up... it was so lame and short that I wasn't so pissed any more about Shani's ending (good bye... again) in HoS.

SteelAttack

Novice
Finished Blood and Wine a couple days ago. All in all, base game and both expansions took about 160 hours to complete. I really liked the whole trip, I'd rank HoS the highest in regards to story (and my main nigga Olgierd) although Blood and Wine comes a close second because of its setting, vistas, characters and gameplay additions.

Falksi

Arcane
I hated my experience with TW3 first time round. Forced it through to finish the main questline, but didn't enjoy it very much at all.
Decided to give it a second play through (after all I hated TW2 first time round but it's since become my fave game ever) and I'm enjoying it far more. Mainly because I'm not playing it "naturally" and exploring, instead I'm going with the more mathematical approach of using quest markers etc. And it's allowing me to enjoy the game for what it actually is - a sandbox game with great writing. Still think the main quest is a bit dull, but it's the GOTY editon so looking forward to the expansions.

Sentinel

Arcane
Damn. Played through the game 5 times and I didn't know about that. Kinda disappointed that it's a "need help? - no -, well ok, bye, good luck". They probably didn't have time to properly do it (ie implement the sex scene from the files). Still cool that they thought of giving resolution an event that happens at the start of the game.

that ass though

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist

DramaticPopcorn

My biggest gripe with Heart of the Stone expansion is how little its entire premise fits overall tone of Witcher narrative. The entire questchain can be pulled in its all entirety and fit in literally every other fantasy CRPG out there.

Sentinel

Arcane
My biggest gripe with Heart of the Stone expansion is how little its entire premise fits overall tone of Witcher narrative. The entire questchain can be pulled in its all entirety and fit in literally every other fantasy CRPG out there.
How does it not? Witcher series has always been about traditional folklore tales with a spin. In Hearts of Stone you're initially hired to kill a monster (Witcher work) but it turns out it wasn't quite like the contract said. Then you're hit with the folklore tale part of the deal.

SteelAttack

Novice
Besides Gaunter O' Dimm is a great and creepy antagonist in HoS. The fact he is also present in a small bit of the main game and implied in Blood and Wine makes the character even more mysterious and eerie. Granted, only the contract at the beginning of the whole thing makes sense as witcher work, but the way things unfold after that part is perfectly understandable as Geralt really had no choice but to follow the path laid before him and see things through.

duchU

Educated
It fits pretty well and it's way better than BaW yet another vampire crap story main quest. Not to mention it doesn't kill your eyes with it's chroma and color saturation.

EDIT:
DramaticPopcorn since you disagree I have a question for you: do you think the same about BaW questchain (that it can be pulled in its all entirety and fit in literally every other fantasy CRPG out there)?

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
Jokes on them, Fantasy is better when the men are badass, and the women are beautiful, optionally badass as well.

It's just a shit drawing, I doubt there's any political statement behind it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom