Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

Father Foreskin

Learned
-nuXcom style cinematics
-apparently 2 ap system
-funding goal 0,5mil
-fig

I guess Techland is once again financing the console versions

Latelistener

Arcane
This looks like an XCOM clone, rather than X-COM successor, unfortunately. It's not like it's a bad thing, but I kinda expected different from Gollop.
But hey, we still have OpenXcom, and they are working on the TFTD support.

:timcain:

Themadcow

Augur
If even one of the renowned inventors of Time units decides to scrap them, it must means they are really a shitty and hopeless mechanic.

I believe he's stated that they won't be used for movement, but will maintained* for actions.

* not wholesale, but from a pot of willpower points

Mazisky

Magister
If even one of the renowned inventors of Time units decides to scrap them, it must means they are really a shitty and hopeless mechanic.

I believe he's stated that they won't be used for movement, but will maintained* for actions.

If i'm not wrong he said 3 actions, move and shoot like nuxcom + a third special action not always avaiable

ArchAngel

Arcane

If i'm not wrong he said 3 actions, move and shoot like nuxcom + a third special action not always avaiable
He said if you find new enemies you can change your movement action, so it is not a 2 ap system as in nuXcom but a mix of that and TU.

Themadcow

Augur
Whatever system it is, I trust JG to get it right - and to be imperfect in a way that creates entertainment. One thing he understands brilliantly is that 'perfect' systems without a degree of randomness are BORING and that emergent gameplay tells the best stories. This game seems well geared for those two elements. That he's moved away from TU's isn't a huge shock in itself, but in the past he suggested that Valkyria Chronicles had the kind of turn based system that he'd love to have put in an Xcom sequel... this doesn't sound like that, but hey ho.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
One new thing:

"Will there be any sort of guaranteed damage like in Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars? Depending on your range and weapon in that game, you'd have a certain amount of guaranteed and potential damage."
JG: Our tactical system works like this already - in this respect it is somewhat similar to Ghost Recon Shadow Wars.

Anybody played that game? How does it look?

Themadcow

Augur
One new thing:

"Will there be any sort of guaranteed damage like in Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars? Depending on your range and weapon in that game, you'd have a certain amount of guaranteed and potential damage."
JG: Our tactical system works like this already - in this respect it is somewhat similar to Ghost Recon Shadow Wars.

Anybody played that game? How does it look?

I've got it somewhere in the pile of "games I played about 5 hours of, then never touched again". Aside from the impressive looking but fundamentally useless 3D, it didn't stand out for me. I'd imagine it is what it says - guaranteed damage for things like shotguns or explosives if within a certain proximity. To a certain extent you get this with the XCOM reboots, with certain classes guaranteeing at least minor damage even if they 'miss'.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
2 AP system is a complete dealbreaker to me.

(also fig)

Pass.
Are they releasing this on consoles? I always assumed the move+action/attack dumbfuckery is a direct result of nuXCOM going for the hurrrrr market, since it's a staple "tactical" jrpg design.

Themadcow

Augur
Funnily enough, the Android version (and I assume iPad version) of XCOM/Enemy Within was probably the best version outside of the modded PC version. It's slightly dumbed down interface made it bloody amazing for having a few quick turns on the morning trip into work. 2K China did an amazing job with the port.

Father Foreskin

Learned
My previous post made it rain retarded-buttons but i still cant in no fucking way configure my brain to accept that this game will be above average. Gollop made one of the best games ever made, but he is taking influences from wrong games, he is associating with wrong platform(fig) and he is making a type of game that lends itself to consoles-first approach if so chosen. This game is already falling into the asscrack between time-unit grognards and PLAZMAGUN SHOOTAN CINEMATIC TAKEDOWZ. Whatever you prefer, either Nuxcom or Xenonauts will likely do it better

ArchAngel

Arcane
My previous post made it rain retarded-buttons but i still cant in no fucking way configure my brain to accept that this game will be above average. Gollop made one of the best games ever made, but he is taking influences from wrong games, he is associating with wrong platform(fig) and he is making a type of game that lends itself to consoles-first approach if so chosen. This game is already falling into the asscrack between time-unit grognards and PLAZMAGUN SHOOTAN CINEMATIC TAKEDOWZ. Whatever you prefer, either Nuxcom or Xenonauts will likely do it better
I guess 4800 backers in less than 24h don't agree with you.

Father Foreskin

Learned

True that, and i have nothing against this getting funded bacause i lose nothing anyway. Its just that the opportunity of Julian Gollop returning to frontline of pc-development might be compromised if this game ends up on the list of "figlures" like torment and broken age. If this is the game Gollop really wants to make, fine. If this is the game he(or Fargo) thinks will sell, Gollop will be lucky if he gets to make a Carebears platformer on the Switch after this.

ArchAngel

Arcane

True that, and i have nothing against this getting funded bacause i lose nothing anyway. Its just that the opportunity of Julian Gollop returning to frontline of pc-development might be compromised if this game ends up on the list of "figlures" like torment and broken age. If this is the game Gollop really wants to make, fine. If this is the game he(or Fargo) thinks will sell, Gollop will be lucky if he gets to make a Carebears platformer on the Switch after this.
Unless he fucks up greatly I don't see how this does not sell. Firaxis Xcoms brought in millions of sales. Even if Gollop sells this at half price (30 eur) and only gets 1 million sales he will earn 20+ million eur back for about 1 mil $ investment (he said they spent 450k $ already and on Fig he is asking for 500k $). If he gets much more money with Fig he might get even more than 1 mil sales due to being able to increase production values of PP.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom