Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Got bored and left

Hey look! A game that has 10 times better graphics then TToN! And it didn't took them 4 years? How CUM?

Being stern, ascetic communists, they didn't blow all their money on bourgeois pleasures, unlike those Californian capitalist pigs.
:russia:

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
Tee-hee-hee!

gF2LFEC.gif

Cadmus

Arcane
Again, no offence, but if you like RtwP and felt Torment's combat was a time sink, you mustn't like tactical gameplay much.

Ehhh.... Torment's combat isn't perhaps quite as bad as some people make it out to be, but I do think it was largely, even mostly a time sink. It's just nowhere close to as good as in BG2 or IWD, and a lot of it feels unnecessary. For example there's a quite a bit of combat on the way to Pharod's place, but it doesn't serve any useful purpose. The late game has a lot of grindy combat that just bogs things down too.
Prime retardo strikes again! Man the ramparts!

It's 2017 and some fuckin morons still believe that PST would be good with its combat removed. Fuck me sideways mate, that's just dumb.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
Tbh, that is not what PJ said and also that is not the conversation. Discussion's more about what combat systems there are available and how well they tie in with the games' narratives.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Torment's combat was surprizingly fine, actually. Yeah there were moments where you want to die irl before charging into another fucking demon, but I quite enjoyed the skirmishes in Sigil. Like the thug fights in the streets - they made sense. But if the encounter is long and complex but doesn't support the narrative - somehing I felt with AoD for example - it kills the momentum.

The combat in Torment was fine when taken in itself. The issue was the lack of interesting encounters. It's good that there was little of it because every fight played out exactly the same as the last one but in small doses it was pretty good. The good visuals and sounds helped as well.

Prime Junta

It's 2017 and some fuckin morons still believe that PST would be good with its combat removed. Fuck me sideways mate, that's just dumb.

Who would that be, exactly?

I believe PS:T would be better with better combat, and that especially past Sigil it has too much, too repetitive combat. I do not think it would be better with its combat removed altogether.

xantrius

Liturgist
:time warp:

Classical RPG combat is an abomination, plebian--yes a silly, disgraceful and rightfully obsolete word but we are forced to bring it back!--A crime against humanity, and an insult to the creative spirit of Planescape: Torment - good riddance No Truce with the Furies does away with it, or at least tries. And people still have the audacity to ask why RPGs aren't taken serious. Jesus.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i've never had a problem with a game being mostly or even purely mechanics focused, or being story focused. i like both thing, and if a game can achieve the perfect balance it is just awesome. i don't think no truce is purely story focused either. there are alot of inner working of RPG mechanics, levelling up, skills, etc just those skills aren't used in traditional combat as in you enter a battle phase/screen/mode/whatever and whack your enemies with several different options and reduce their hp to 0. how well they execute it that remains a question, but nobody should dismiss this game or think mechanics focused games and story/context focused games cannot exist at the same time. it is almost as if if somehow they are allowed to both exist, the universe would be cancelled and zero sum itself out of existence.

just you know, chill out, and let people who enjoy different things enjoy their things and let you yourselves enjoy your thing. it's not like with no truce is being made, all other mechanics focused RPG would puff out of existence.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
SUPER SECRET SECRET AREA

So today we’re showing a screenshot of, well, honestly it’s a secret area. So don’t tell anyone. Also, if you’re not finding this in your playthrough, put some points in the unimaginatively titled Perception skill — or consult the suspicious sensation that pops up when you’re near the door, but not seeing it. Then ask around, what could be there. There are many of these secret areas in the game and we want there to be different skill paths to finding them.

This screenshot is a good example of the level of detail we put into our isometric environments. I think this is our new gold standard for interiors really. Also, the green orb there — that’s our version of the classic “?” question marks that comment on the environment in games like Pillars of Eternity. And the text commenting on the pig’s head is what happens when you click on one.

thesoup

Arcane
I saw this thread under latest posts and thought it was about a liveleak video of cops brutalizing furries, but then it turned out it's about a game from EE. Will keep an eye on this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom