Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Did you know that every character has a swag bag for additional 10 items ?

I

did not.

well then

darth roxor is a goddamn dumbfuck \^-^/

biggestboss

Liturgist
I've got a question about W7 that I couldn't find the solution within the manual nor Google for. I have a Felpurr Fighter that can change into a Ninja, but doing so would leave her unable to wear any of the armor she has equipped. Is there a vendor that sells the Ninja gear that you would get if you had started character creation as a Ninja?

biggestboss

Liturgist
Class restricted equipment is the bane of class changing. Look around New City, try the Ratkin NPCs?
I'd love to go back there and check, but I think I just ran into a dead end where the only solution is grind. I fell down a hole in Orkogre Castle and have no way to return to the outside unless I beat this ridiculous boss called the Shadow Guardian.

biggestboss

Liturgist
I asked before I fell down the hole. Luckily, I didn't change my class yet although fighting the Shadow Guardian makes me feel like all of my characters are level 1 anyway.

biggestboss

Liturgist
Finally beat that boss. I had to use the save state function in Dosbox and I reloaded any time anything bad happened (Lifesteal doing 1500 dmg to my 60 health characters, petrify, etc.)

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Hi, new player who just purchased 6-8 on Steam. Any tips for a first timer? Also, feel free to leave a negative button.

EDIT: I plan on only playing 7 and 8, unless there's a really compelling reason to play 6.
I could just never get into 6, but I find myself playing 7 and 8 from time to time. I'm playing 7 right now, and finally used this: Cosmic Forge. Not so much for the monster edits or anything, but the patches for Wiz7 Dos. Never really knew about monsters doing 2x damage to fighters, and once I learned that... it kind of soured me on the game. So I used these here patches. Also allows for healing when resting. Not sure if that was a bug or not, but it works.

Also, this run of Wiz 7 is gone to crap pretty quickly. I don't know why, but I immediately went from New City to Munkharama. Didn't free Beauregard, didn't find that damn waffer. Also, I remembered how to get into old city, but must have been killed through poison by about 18x by toxic sludges or whatever. Also keep forgetting to save. That's the real punisher. Right now I'm about level 8-9, and trying to do a little bit of grinding here and there. Just playing the built in party and right now have Warrior, Valkyrie, Ninja, Rogue, Priest, Wiz. Will move Rogue to Monk, and Priest to Lord as soon as they have the skills, but I am liking the Warrior. While they are boring, for some reason he has a 20 ST at level 8, which never happened to me before.

Strange thing is that when going to Munharama, I left before the bean puzzle because I realized I was in the wrong place, but ended up never running into anything more than demented munks or various moths. Didn't think there was level scaling, but I could also have been lucky.

Wow, thanks for this. I've tried playing Wizardry 7 a bunch of times but I always get fed up with the horrendous resting system.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
are you all playing on expert or what? W7 isn't really that hard

octavius

Arcane
Patron
are you all playing on expert or what? W7 isn't really that hard

I always play CRPGs on default difficulty, since I hate HP sponging.
Wiz 7 is quite hard in some places, especially after completing the starting area and the City, when there's no easy areas to go.
But overall Endurance is more important than Intelligence for one who wants to complete Wiz 7.

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Well, the damn puzzles later on require some kind of intelligence, Bradley was heavily into obfuscation and deeply obscure hints

Also, I admit importing chars from W6 with good weapons probably made the game decidedly easier

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Also, I admit importing chars from W6 with good weapons probably made the game decidedly easier

I found Munkarama and Orkogre hard enough even with imported weapons. I shuddeer at the though of fighting a gazillion HP sponges with mundane weapons.
Wiz 7 would have been much better if the random encounter rate and monster HPs were halved.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
that gets actually worse late game, I wasn't too bothered early on, but once you sail the sea of sorrows or the crypts, damn every 2nd step is a fight

Zetor

Arcane
Finally beat that boss. I had to use the save state function in Dosbox and I reloaded any time anything bad happened (Lifesteal doing 1500 dmg to my 60 health characters, petrify, etc.)
IIRC Lifesteal is one of the few (maybe the only?) damage spells in w6/7 that is (damage_range)*(power)^2 instead of just (damage_range)*power... even in the endgame it's basically instadeath if your character doesn't have high divine resist.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
my late-game favorites for large groups were nuclear blast and word of death, made short process of all those annoying multi-groups of fishes and whatnot

trotof

Educated
How useful Power Cast in W8 really is? I know it does increase the duration of party buffs, but other than that?
I have a mage and a priest in my party - both are at the same level, both have comparable magic skills, but one has PC at 80+ and the other doesn't even have it unlocked. And the thing is I fail to see any noticeable difference in their performance, status effect or damage-wise (though I admit, I haven't done any serious tests, it's just my casual observation during recent run).
I kinda suspect that the bonus to damage or resistance penetration it provides is quite minuscule, so perhaps it is better to leave INT at 50 and spend points on stats and expert skills with more obvious benefits instead?

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
How useful Power Cast in W8 really is? I know it does increase the duration of party buffs, but other than that?
I have a mage and a priest in my party - both are at the same level, both have comparable magic skills, but one has PC at 80+ and the other doesn't even have it unlocked. And the thing is I fail to see any noticeable difference in their performance, status effect or damage-wise (though I admit, I haven't done any serious tests, it's just my casual observation during recent run).
I kinda suspect that the bonus to damage or resistance penetration it provides is quite minuscule, so perhaps it is better to leave INT at 50 and spend points on stats and expert skills with more obvious benefits instead?

Int still provides training bonuses, making it easier to boost magic skill levels, and adds spell points. Might as well take it; what else is your mage going to need? Speed and Vitality maybe.

It's an interesting question though as I've never not gotten power cast on an offensive caster. I primarily use status-inflicting and instant death spells so I wonder if it really influences the success rate? Asphyxiating an entire group of rapax to death is always fun.

BlackGoat

Arbiter
So I'm thinking about diving into Wiz6/7/8 in the near future after spending quite a bit of time in WizI-V and alikes. Are there any major changes between oldeWiz and neuWiz that'll confuse my muscle memory? Will the olde strats fuck me up in neu?

trotof

Educated
Int still provides training bonuses, making it easier to boost magic skill levels, and adds spell points. Might as well take it; what else is your mage going to need? Speed and Vitality maybe.

It's an interesting question though as I've never not gotten power cast on an offensive caster. I primarily use status-inflicting and instant death spells so I wonder if it really influences the success rate? Asphyxiating an entire group of rapax to death is always fun.
Well, DEX, while useless to your typical spellcaster by itself, unlocks reflection and more AC on squishies is never a bad thing in my opinion. It's also controlling attribute for alchemy iirc. But you are right of course, faster skill gains and more spell points (wasn't aware of bonus sp, btw, good to know) are certainly useful, especially for pure casters. On the other hand magic skills are kinda easy to power train...
Asphyxiating rapaxes sure sounds like fun. It's a pity that on expert difficulty instadeath spells are kinda useless. You are lucky if you kill 1-2 out of 10 and most of the time it's just "UNAFFECTED UNAFFECTED UNAFFECTED UNAFFECTED". Waste of turns and sp, sadly.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut

I found Munkarama and Orkogre hard enough even with imported weapons. I shuddeer at the though of fighting a gazillion HP sponges with mundane weapons.
Wiz 7 would have been much better if the random encounter rate and monster HPs were halved.

I've never imported chars into Wiz 7, but you can still buy +2 weapons and magic items from NPC's and some stores. I'm on the way to Orkogre and Lord Galiere(?) had +2 spears and some other things. Unfortunately, I was asked if I would give all or a little at that temple in New City, and said I would give all.... which cleaned out my idiot party. Forgot about that, but was too far in without a save :( So I'm stuck with my crap weapons. Either way, Gorns aren't bad as long as they aren't casting spells. It's just when you have several casters casting sleep, itch, poison and other spells. Even if you win, you'll end up reloading.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
So I'm thinking about diving into Wiz6/7/8 in the near future after spending quite a bit of time in WizI-V and alikes. Are there any major changes between oldeWiz and neuWiz that'll confuse my muscle memory? Will the olde strats fuck me up in neu?

They added a lot of new races and classes, 2 new schools of magic, resting in dungeons, and a skill system.

But the old party setups still work fine. Start with basic classes, work up to advanced team. Combat is a little more annoying because you have to pick what type of attack you're using (swing, thrust, bash, etc, all with little modifiers).

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Either way, Gorns aren't bad as long as they aren't casting spells.

Occasionally some high level nasty Gorns (Gorn Lords?) could spawn inside Orkogre Castle, which could really ruin you day.
That's been the story of my journey so far - no autosave, and I just. push. it. too. far. And get screwed. It's a hard transition from playing any other game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom