Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Decent strategy games that aren't commercially available.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Caesar, Caesar II and Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom have been released on GOG.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Castle Strike was a RTS with lots of cool siege engines. I think it was the RTS with the best castle assaults (except maybe Stronghold, but for some reason, Stronghold neverr clicked with me: I didn't really like the way management and figthing were interwined). It would have been pretty awesome if the AI was not so retarded (especially the friendly AI, so you had to babysit everyone a lot).
It should qualify as decent, even though the AI and storyline prevented it from being great.
Added some games to the list from this thread by Don Peste.

Games added:
-Armies of Exigo
-Rival Realms
-Shadow Vault
-Hammer & Sickle (there was rumours about GOG release) and that reminded me about Night Watch and Day Watch.

e. Night Watch and Day Watch are more curiosities than decent games.
I played Rival Realms:
It was great (for me) at that time because it was the first RTS with RPG element, but they somewhat overdid it:
Each unit could level up, and would get items on level up, that would get dropped on death, so the battlefield ended up cluttered with tons of useless crap.
Also, having a super unit would let you solo most maps in the end of the campaign.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Castle Strike was a RTS with lots of cool siege engines. I think it was the RTS with the best castle assaults (except maybe Stronghold, but for some reason, Stronghold neverr clicked with me: I didn't really like the way management and figthing were interwined). It would have been pretty awesome if the AI was not so retarded (especially the friendly AI, so you had to babysit everyone a lot).
It should qualify as decent, even though the AI and storyline prevented it from being great.
Added.

There is also Siege (1992) by Mindcraft which is a fantasy themed RTT about assaulting or defending castles.
I need to figure out correct Dosbox settings to make it run properly.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Added Bandit Kings of Ancient China.
This was the first PC game that i ever saw.
There is probably more missing Koei games, but I'm kinda ignorant of those.

passerby

Arcane
Emperor: Battle for Dune

All Dune games in fact.
EA no longer has Dune license.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
because most of them are shitty, either no seeds or just 1-2 seeds whit shitty connectioni resulting in corruppted download.

Though just found an active one (6 seeders, yay) on help torrents.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Atrox ? :D

362889437.jpg

Some korean BW clone, not too bad.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong

SkeleTony

Augur
Warlords 3 DR and ROH, and Warlords 4 aren't for some reason. I believe code was lost for one of them.

Warlords III: DLR is the only version that really matters. Fawkner had and gave KGB the source code to work on patching but he lost the code for the last patch which made the whole thing infeasible as that patch was a giant improvement to the game.

:Flash:

Arcane
Mayday: Conflict Earth (RTS command and conquer clone)
Perry Rhodan: Operation Eastside (4x with hexagonal space battles)

:Flash:

Arcane
Perry Rhodan: Operation Eastside (4x with hexagonal space battles)
I have never heard of it.
Was it released only in Germany?
That might be true, I assumed it was released everywhere (as that was a time when local only releases were no longer commercially viable), but there is no info on any English release on the web.

Some other ones:
Leviathan: The Tone Rebellion (the other Logic Factory game besides Ascendancy)
Rising Lands (probably not good, but for some reason I really liked the demo back then)
Jeff Wayne's The War of the Worlds (Risk-like map + RTS, two different interfaces for humans and martians)

Honorable mention:
The L.E.D. Wars (Larian Studio's first game)

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Homeworld: Cataclysm was just released on GOG as Homeworld: Emergence.

About: Homeworld: Emergence was originally released as "Homeworld: Cataclysm". "Cataclysm" is now a registered trademark of Blizzard Entertainment, Inc., and the game has been renamed to avoid confusion. Other than the subtitle change, the game is identical to the game released in 2000.

https://af.gog.com/game/homeworld_emergence?as=1649904300

Last edited by a moderator:

McPlusle

Savant
Talonsoft West Front is a game that I've misplaced the disc for and the only torrent stops at 98%. I don't believe it's available digitally.

Also, to add to the list of unavailable Lord of the Rings strategy games, there's also War of the Ring, published by Sierra only a year before EA's Battle for Middle Earth

mbv123

Arbiter
Isn't Talonsoft West Front compiled in the John Tiller's Campaign Series, along with various other Talonsoft titles?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom