Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Persona 5

GarlandExCon

Arcane
Anyone else get suckered into that bullshit fortune teller confidant? The bonuses aren't even that great and I'm out 100 grand with no benefit until I go into mementos. I wish I would't spent that money on SP/HP Regen stuff at Takemis.

Yeah, it's unfortunate. Maybe Fortune personas are decent? I haven't checked.

I was debating making the fortune teller or Makoto my waifu. Probably sticking with Makoto since I bothered to grind out all of the intelligence and charm necessary for it. Some of the cutscenes around Palace 3-4 make me think Makoto is probably the 'canon' choic. as well.

I'm surprised at how much I like the party members in this game overall. I tend to hate 2-3 of them in each Persona game, but they're all great so far. It says a lot that Ann is somehow my least favorite, as far as personality is concerned.

As horribly pathetic as this sounds, I'm ashamed to admit that I'm starting to feel like I'm bonding and growing attached to fake fucking pixels on a screen.

Well, if you are pathetic so am I. The same thing happened with Persona 4. That game ended and I felt like I was losing actual friends, lol.

GarlandExCon

Arcane
I'm pretty behind on the game, only just finished the first dungeon. What difficulty are you guys playing on? I started with hard, got annoyed with how certain encounters like Berith could one shot party members and that I couldn't kill them with a single all-out attack, or Archangels doing 100+ damage to my entire party with varja blast. Finally decided to switch to normal when I got to Kamoshida himself. Maybe the game gets easier when you have more options for personas and equipment.

I'm on normal, but ever since that first palace it's gotten a lot easier. I haven't felt challenged in awhile. I just massacre mementos bosses.

Cromwell

Arcane
I'm pretty behind on the game, only just finished the first dungeon. What difficulty are you guys playing on? I started with hard, got annoyed with how certain encounters like Berith could one shot party members and that I couldn't kill them with a single all-out attack, or Archangels doing 100+ damage to my entire party with varja blast. Finally decided to switch to normal when I got to Kamoshida himself. Maybe the game gets easier when you have more options for personas and equipment.

I'm on normal, but ever since that first palace it's gotten a lot easier. I haven't felt challenged in awhile. I just massacre mementos bosses.

Imho, for me, the first difficult spike came with the fifth. Also on normal. I breezed through everything before without problem and barely made the 5th in one day.

GarlandExCon

Arcane

Imho, for me, the first difficult spike came with the fifth. Also on normal. I breezed through everything before without problem and barely made the 5th in one day.

One of the things about me and games, especially RPGs, is I go out of my way to literally do every possible thing so usually I'm always over powered, probably more so than the game makers expect someone playing on normal difficulty to be.

But maybe in the fifth dungeon I'll regret complaining.

Cromwell

Arcane

One of the things about me and games, especially RPGs, is I go out of my way to literally do every possible thing so usually I'm always over powered, probably more so than the game makers expect someone playing on normal difficulty to be.

But maybe in the fifth dungeon I'll regret complaining.

I dont know I just noticed the spike, the hardest enemies in fourth are about 30? the hardest in 5th are 44 and 45 (not counting minibosses and so on)

Kem0sabe

Arcane
even hard enemies become trivial once you figure out their weaknesses, when i come upon an enemy i cannot capture (due to level) or kill in one all out attack, i just ask them for money or items.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Holy shit i'm 30 hours and 20% finished...... this game is yuge

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I'm a shapeshifter, what else should i be

i can feel it

i can sense it

there's something

Arcks

Educated
Anyone else get suckered into that bullshit fortune teller confidant? The bonuses aren't even that great and I'm out 100 grand with no benefit until I go into mementos. I wish I would't spent that money on SP/HP Regen stuff at Takemis.

Fortune is probably best confidant in game, if only for her rank 7 ability. Devil is worst, with only good thing it giving charm.

Hyperion

Arcane
It's also fucking retarded. Had to stop at their critique of Sojiro saying, "Now listen up. Don't even think of doing anything stupid," to "Now listen up. Don't even think of pulling anything stupid, got it?"

Sojiro is a curt person with no time for your fucking bullshit. His response is pretty much perfect conversational English. Fuck these nitpicking turbonerds. Expecting perfect grammar out of characters who are supposed to be human is utterly ridiculous.

Duraframe300

Arcane
It's also fucking retarded. Had to stop at their critique of Sojiro saying, "Now listen up. Don't even think of doing anything stupid," to "Now listen up. Don't even think of pulling anything stupid, got it?"

Sojiro is a curt person with no time for your fucking bullshit. His response is pretty much perfect conversational English. Fuck these nitpicking turbonerds. Expecting perfect grammar out of characters who are supposed to be human is utterly ridiculous.

The amount of people getting obsessed over this is retarded to begin with. Even by taking into account the errors, the game's translation is high quality especially in comparison to other japanese games.
Sure, there are still lots of problems when it comes to translation/localization. But, Persona 5 sure are hell can't be singled out as a prime example.

GarlandExCon

Arcane
Yeah, I can't believe this is people's biggest complaint. To tell you the truth, I literally haven't noticed a single mistake.. Maybe it's because I'm reading it as conversational English, or maybe it's because I'm just having fun playing a game. There's plenty of complaints you can have about the game: Morgana being a dictator over you, things being too repetitive as far as the Conversations go, the fact you can't go in nearly half of businesses/shops, the music not being as good as Persona 4, the "calling card" thing, etc. but they're all relatively minor and the translation complaint is just fucking stupid.

Hyperion

Arcane
Heavy railroading and draconian time constraints are the biggest problems. There's never an opportunity to really feel like I can explore anything fully because everything passes time, from washing dirty gear to swinging a baseball bat 5 times. I'm currently in between the 3nd and 3rd palaces, and I'm supposed to be looking for clues about who this next target is, yet...it never feels like I'm sleuthing for clues, or this 2 week time limit matters in the least because the game is forcing me to pass days and do the sleuthing on its terms, rather than mine.

Malpercio

Arcane

The amount of people getting obsessed over this is retarded to begin with. Even by taking into account the errors, the game's translation is high quality especially in comparison to other japanese games.
Sure, there are still lots of problems when it comes to translation/localization. But, Persona 5 sure are hell can't be singled out as a prime example.

It's a 6+ months later Japanese game that was delayed like two timed and one of them was to "improve the translation", of course people will criticize it.

The amount of "Leave Atlus alone" stuff I've seen for this is honestly hilarious. :lol: It's obvious the game was translated literally without context and the script wasn't proofreader enough.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
The amount of "Leave Atlus alone" stuff I've seen for this is honestly hilarious. :lol: It's obvious the game was translated literally without context and the script wasn't proofreader enough.

You can provide examples. However considering it was considerably dense Japanese, we shouldn't expect awesome translation.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
We should, see Cold Steel/Trails games or the bazillion of VN translates.
Does it have a gruesome level of formal Japanese, and various hard to translate words, or is it just a fluid readable Japanese? P5 is bitch to translate well. (At least you can go through pain of downloading Jap voices and compare translation directly.)

Hyperion

Arcane
There's a big difference between criticizing translation errors and creating an entire website with Persona flair and a line in its mission statement (if you will) that reads, "Readers are receiving an inferior work..." as if they're somehow entitled to something better than what they got. Considering they line up the English and Jap text for comparison, I'll assume the guy who made the site reads Japanese. You want a script 100% faithful to the writers' intentions? Use the Jap text and voices, weeb.

At least "This guy are sick" is remembered fondly with humor. Now people cry and moan about minute details. Fuck off with that shit.

flyingjohn

Arcane
There is no point in making a attempt to shame Japanese developers into abandoning or apologizing for any games they made.
They just don't give a rat's ass for the western audience opinions.
This isn't your typical Californian game Dev which apologizes as soon as anybody writes something on their twitter.

As for people complaining about the translation,wtf is wrong with you.
Persona 5 translation does not have complete rewrites like the fire emblem games,does not have broken translations like budget Japanese games ported to the west and does not have extreme version of censoring you now have in almost any jrpg localized.(minus the obscure ones)

Also good luck translating Japanese without having to modify or change the meaning ,considering direct translation is not possible.
This isn't German to English.
As for legend of heroes series,they also had a lot of modification due to the depression of the translator.(i am referencing the trails series,not the cold steel series)
Hell if you looked upon any jrpg or visual novel Japanese to English meaning side by side,you would probably see a lot of differences.(especially in the legend of heroes series)

As for visual novel just look at the recently released 999 on steam,they couldn't even properly copy the translation form the original port which was already in English,and their own modifications sound off.
Most only have good translation because somebody was cheap and autistic enough to put the effort,else all you get is a cheap translation.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
People need to play Cyber Sleuth before complaining about a translation just to see how bad it can get in a full release game. There are several lines of dialogue in that game that are just pure nonsense. A good chunk of its dialogue, between 10-20%, is machine translation. I've nearly beaten Persona 5 and I have not seen anything that irked me, much less make me want to make a website dedicated to how I felt about its translation.

Malpercio

Arcane
as if they're somehow entitled to something better than what they got.

LMAO, what is this, a charity. They are selling you a product, if people fele Atlus USA delivered them a sub-par translation they have their right to complain.

Stockholm Syndrome at its finest. :lol:

Last edited:

Arcks

Educated
as if they're somehow entitled to something better than what they got.

LMAO, what is this, a charity. They are selling you a product, if people fele Atlus USA delivered them a sub-par translation they have their right to complain.

Stockholm Syndrome at its finest. :lol:

They have right to complain, and there are good examples of occasional fuck-ups. But there's also some examples that extremely subjective veering on purely false territory. And even these good examples are but tear drops in ocean of text. Whole site seems more like "please just give me work pleasepleaseplease" instead of "we are totally fans, believe us, fuck context lol.". Comparing Persona 5 localization to localization works of the 90's... completely disingenuous.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom