Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Forge - Open Source Magic The Gathering game - PC/Android (battling with AI, multiplayer, and more)

Perkel

Arcane
Since like last 15 years i've always wanted proper computer game based on MTG. Unfortunately official games were shit for most part and lately only Magic 2015 on android is kind of interesting but it is at the same time limited a lot due to only having few decks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well i didn't know proper alternative exist and it is called FORGE.

https://www.slightlymagic.net/wiki/Forge

forge%2Bscreenshot.png

It is open source implementation of i think all rules and cards. What is more important it isn't only deck builder or multiplayer app. It has fully realized build in AI opponents with whom you can play. So if you are one of those forever alone in MTG world then this is amazing addition.

What is more interesting is that it comes even with shitload of single player content. From tournaments, various types of modes to full on campaign (though i don't know quality of it as just found this app today)

Aside from that it has both local and online multiplayer which means that dexers will be able to play together without issues and if you have family or kids and shit you can play with them battles with more than just 2 players.

Since most of us also have phones and tablets it also comes with android version and has hot seat mode as well aside from other stuff from normal version. It is a bit buggy but it is working ok.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I'm pretty sure they added multiplayer. I never tried it, but I think it was there in the last version I used.

illuknisaa

Cipher
I tried recreating my edh deck with forge and there were so many cards missing. Not just random unplayble garbage outside of edh but cards that see competitive play. Nature's Claim, Stifle, Baral, Deathrite Shaman, Expedition Map etc.
I could recreate maybe 30% of my deck and out of that 30% little less than half were basic lands. There are also unfinished cycles like 9/10 scry tap lands is missing (only the RG one is included, the one that sees zero play). There is not even sol ring.

deuxhero

Arcane
You really need to fiddle with the gold gains and card avilibility in quest mode for it to be playable. Even easy opponents have competent decks right from the start.

Perkel

Arcane
Currently, this program only lets you play against the computer, you cannot play against another human player over the Internet.

:killit:

don't know where you read that but multi in all kinds is available even for android version. hot seat, online/offline hell you can even play against many opponents not just duel.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Is the AI better than Wagic's? It's been a while since I've played it and it was serviceable.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
I tried recreating my edh deck with forge and there were so many cards missing. Not just random unplayble garbage outside of edh but cards that see competitive play. Nature's Claim, Stifle, Baral, Deathrite Shaman, Expedition Map etc.
I could recreate maybe 30% of my deck and out of that 30% little less than half were basic lands. There are also unfinished cycles like 9/10 scry tap lands is missing (only the RG one is included, the one that sees zero play). There is not even sol ring.

Did you play with an old version?

Current version of forge has 99% of the cards implemented (only 114 cards missing out of 16,000+ cards). Most of the cards you mentioned (like Sol Ring) have been in there since forever.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer

Here's a screenshot that shows that every card you named is in Forge:

jv3nd0.jpg

If you perhaps used an older version, then I can understand the issue. Otherwise, there may be something else wrong. But, I can assure you, I've been playing Magic with Forge since around 2010, so I knew as soon as I read your post that only being able to reproduce 30% of a deck would be extremely unlikely given that 99% of the cards are represented (I myself have replicated all my actual play decks and all the decks I created on Magic the Gathering Online, which is around 200 decks total).

illuknisaa

Cipher

Here's a screenshot that shows that every card you named is in Forge:
jv3nd0.jpg

If you perhaps used an older version, then I can understand the issue. Otherwise, there may be something else wrong. But, I can assure you, I've been playing Magic with Forge since around 2010, so I knew as soon as I read your post that only being able to reproduce 30% of a deck would be extremely unlikely given that 99% of the cards are represented (I myself have replicated all my actual play decks and all the decks I created on Magic the Gathering Online, which is around 200 decks total).

I'm using version 1.5.62 (amokhet release)

http://i.imgur.com/1txhz02.png

Nature's Claim doesn't show up if I try to search it in the deck editor.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
You might attempt to reinstall it. It's possible something went wrong with your installation or that something is missing. Current version seems to be 1.5.63.

First thing that stands out to me in the picture you posted is that it says it found 0 results of 4625 cards. Forge has a library of over 16,000 cards, currently.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Your search should have looked more like this (notice the difference in the number of cards listed after "Catalog." You've only got about 25% of the cards in your database. That's why you can't find the cards):

wks09t.jpg

illuknisaa

Cipher
I got my forge working (there was something wrong with my installation) and I gotta say Forge is pretty fun. I've tried xmage, cockatrice and f2p magic duels and Forge is probably the best.

There aren't any multiplayer servers so playing casually against randoms is a little hard but Forge has a ton of single player content. I think the best feature of Forge is the quest mode. In quest mode you basically start the game with a limited selection of cards in magic plane (eg Ravinica) of your choosing and then battle against AI with more or less lore friendly decks related to that plane for xp and credits. You can then spend credits from wins at the spell shop for more cards, boosters precons etc.. There is also a bazaar where you can buy upgrades like more start up hp or pets. If you think the current magic world is too easy/hard then you can also planeswalk to different planes do the same shit there but with different cards and stuff.

You can also participate in drafts which are just normal drafts vs AI.

Once a while you get challenged which duels with custom rules. In one challenge you can face an opponent who plays nothing but Copper Tablets each turn or the game starts with four Helm of Awakenings in play. Eventually you face the ultimate challenge which is sort of like the end boss but at this time you should have bunch of degenerate cards to help you out.

I managed to beat the ultimate challenge with this deck:

Main:
3x Black Lotus
4x Mox Jet
3x Mox Sapphire
3x Mox Pearl
2x Sol Ring
3x Ancestral Recall
1x Swords to Plowshares
2x Gitaxian Probe
2x Counterspell
4x Demonic Tutor
2x Timetwister
1x Approach of the Second Sun

4x Strip Mine
2x Tundra
4x Underground River

Side:
2x Tormod's Crypt
2x Sol Ring
2x Swords to Plowshares
2x Counterspell
2x Time Walk
1x Wrath of God
1x Force of Will

The quest mode isn't perfect. There aren't that many worlds and many of then feel very similar. Making your own world isn't hard but implementing AI deck is time consuming. You can find user made lorwyn, theros and innistrad worlds but not much else. Implementing just a store that sells cards from specific block is pretty easy and fast (takes like 1 min to do). The economy balancing also needs some work cards are prices based on their rarity and not how good they are. commons cost 6, uncommons cost 40, rares 120 and mythics are 600. There is also an option to change the prices reflect real world but good luck getting your playset of Black Lotuses when base win price is 25 credits. (Although this and a lot of other stuff is really customizable).

You should give Forge a try.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
In my opinion, Forge is a million times better than Wagic. You may not share that opinion, so why don't you try Forge and let us know.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom