Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

kmonster

Augur
Play from the last the to the earlier ones so you don't ruin your experience in the earlier games by the temptation to optimize for import.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Hi, new player who just purchased 6-8 on Steam. Any tips for a first timer? Also, feel free to leave a negative button.

EDIT: I plan on only playing 7 and 8, unless there's a really compelling reason to play 6.
I could just never get into 6, but I find myself playing 7 and 8 from time to time. I'm playing 7 right now, and finally used this: Cosmic Forge. Not so much for the monster edits or anything, but the patches for Wiz7 Dos. Never really knew about monsters doing 2x damage to fighters, and once I learned that... it kind of soured me on the game. So I used these here patches. Also allows for healing when resting. Not sure if that was a bug or not, but it works.

Also, this run of Wiz 7 is gone to crap pretty quickly. I don't know why, but I immediately went from New City to Munkharama. Didn't free Beauregard, didn't find that damn waffer. Also, I remembered how to get into old city, but must have been killed through poison by about 18x by toxic sludges or whatever. Also keep forgetting to save. That's the real punisher. Right now I'm about level 8-9, and trying to do a little bit of grinding here and there. Just playing the built in party and right now have Warrior, Valkyrie, Ninja, Rogue, Priest, Wiz. Will move Rogue to Monk, and Priest to Lord as soon as they have the skills, but I am liking the Warrior. While they are boring, for some reason he has a 20 ST at level 8, which never happened to me before.

Strange thing is that when going to Munharama, I left before the bean puzzle because I realized I was in the wrong place, but ended up never running into anything more than demented munks or various moths. Didn't think there was level scaling, but I could also have been lucky.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
CosmicForge_UNICODE.rar - Editor for wizardry games (version 4.21) (3.3 Mb)

this is what you need, contains various patches for W7 (also W6), just start it up, direct it to the install folder and then check the patches you like

The healing when resting is more of a cheat than a patch

As for compelling reason to play W6, it's a great game and if you play all three in sequence it's one of the best experiences you'll ever have, also you can import powerful weapons from W6 to W7 and from there to W8, which is quite useful

biggestboss

Liturgist
Is disarming a trap based on luck? I'm pretty sure that I'm doing it right, but more than half of my attempts make the trap go off anyway. Also, it seems impossible to kill those Alliphoots, which seems important to do because I really want to get a map kit.

megidolaon

Kyoto Cybernetics
Developer
I did the Dane Tower at what I didn't know was a too-low-level, mostly thanks to the W6 uber-weapons in hand. But, Magna Dane completely wiped the floor with me, in all 30-something attempts I made. Not even a narrow sliver of opportunity for luck to defeat him, the way I was able to eventually kill D'rang T'rang. So I left the tower and decided to try killing him later. Much, much, much later.

But now that he's left the confines of his degenerate orgy pit, is this asshole going to be hunting me down in the other parts of the world like a lot of the other generic NPCs do?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Huh, he left? I killed him in the tower and he never left. What triggered him leaving?

megidolaon

Kyoto Cybernetics
Developer
When you kill the demon and take the horn, the flavor text suggests he's now "after" you for the horn of Cornu. Battlewise, I've only run into him in that square outside the gates of the orgy pit, but that must mean he's outside and not inside. I guess I'll eventually find out if he'll be hunting me for the map pieces or not.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I killed him on that square, so maybe he hasn't left and when you come back stronger, you kill him there to get into his room

Alt

Augur
Also, feel free to leave a negative button.

"Please shit on me." OK.

Also, why do you care? If you didn't care, you wouldn't mention it. It's not a sin to be new to something. It's a sin to be retarded.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I've started playing Wiz 6 recently with the idea to go for the 6-8 megaplaythrough.

But holy shit is Wiz 6 fucking obnoxious. It feels like all the time I'm wrestling against something.

First I wrestle with the UI that is inconvenient even for its time (hotkeys, wot dat).

Then I wrestle with all the assorted inconveniences like constant savescumming against constantly jamming doors that almost always jam after 1st failed lockpick try. Or waiting for my dudes to suicide to reload a fight that's gone bad because there's no option to reload when in combat.

Then I get stuck somewhere, check the cluebook and see that, obviously, the fucking solution is to go back to one of the non-descript empty rooms I've been to and run around every corner pressing the "search" button to find something important.

And finally I fall down some hole, get butchered by a giant serpiente, then stumble into another serpiente, and just because I'm curious wtf is there beyond this point, I reload like a dozen times to finally get both killed with at least 1 dude left... only to find out it was a trap and I get teleported back again where I started.

Hnnnnnnnggggggggggggg

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, Wiz 6 is brutal in the beginning.

Some tips:
If doors constantly jam, your lockpick skill is not high enough. Come back with higher skill, Knlock-Knock spell or keys (some monsters drop generic keys). It's not like you have to go through all those doors right away.

I assume you have a Bard? The Bard is the single most important character early in the game for the free Sleep spells.

Buy Cure Poison potions when you get the chance.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
It's not like you have to go through all those doors right away.

I DO :argh:

I assume you have a Bard? The Bard is the single most important character early in the game for the free Sleep spells.

Nope. Wanted to get one initially to re-create my first wiz8 party, but then I saw things that differed in wiz6 and which wouldn't make it work, so I took a thief instead. And right now I think multiclassing that faggot to a bard wouldn't even be a very good idea, since I don't have any instrument to play on anyway + I have (I think?) gone past the "beginning" phase already.

Not having a bard at the very start was certainly rough though.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
The early Wiz 6 SNES phase is just as hard as on PC, save states are more useful in action games than RPGs and you can already save everywhere in Wiz6 proper

TigerKnee

Arcane
Save states would solve the whole "I can't just reload straight from combat" though.

But you can't export save files from Wiz 6 SNES to PC 7 so that kinda rules out using that version

kmonster

Augur
But holy shit is Wiz 6 fucking obnoxious. It feels like all the time I'm wrestling against something.

First I wrestle with the UI that is inconvenient even for its time (hotkeys, wot dat).

Then I wrestle with all the assorted inconveniences like constant savescumming against constantly jamming doors that almost always jam after 1st failed lockpick try. Or waiting for my dudes to suicide to reload a fight that's gone bad because there's no option to reload when in combat.
Hnnnnnnnggggggggggggg

If you don't like savescumming you should play another game. Luck manipulation by reloading is even more important in the sequel.

Think fast, act fast. Learn how to use the controls quickly and effectively to save a lot of time in such situations. Even if you start with 0 in skullduggery you should be able to pick the first 8 doors combined within half an hour just by reloading and using the stat raises you get for trying.

megidolaon

Kyoto Cybernetics
Developer
I just used mad gods to recreate my party from SNES for import into 7. I would've mad god's it anyway even if I had played PC all the way through to avoid releveling at the end.

I thought that utility could only display info on savegames; never seen anything in those windows that seem to let you edit them.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Well...save scumming is downright cheating IMO (unless the game is so ridicilously hard that it becomes a valid tactic), while class changing is a valid tactic that can be abused.

kmonster

Augur
Well...save scumming is downright cheating IMO (unless the game is so ridicilously hard that it becomes a valid tactic), while class changing is a valid tactic that can be abused.
The games allows saving everywhere and reloading as often as you want so it's not cheating doing so.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Is there any way I can get rid of quest items like the deadman's log or the book of ramm once I know I won't be needing them anymore? Dropping doesn't werk.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
:x :x :x

THEN IF THE GAME WANTED ME TO CARRY AROUND ALL THIS GARBAGE WITH ME, MAYBE IT SHOULDN'T HAVE LIMITED EVERYONE'S INVENTORY TO LIKE 10 ITEMS INCLUDING THE EQUIPPED SHIT AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :rage:

kmonster

Augur
:x :x :x

THEN IF THE GAME WANTED ME TO CARRY AROUND ALL THIS GARBAGE WITH ME, MAYBE IT SHOULDN'T HAVE LIMITED EVERYONE'S INVENTORY TO LIKE 10 ITEMS INCLUDING THE EQUIPPED SHIT AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :rage:

Did you know that every character has a swag bag for additional 10 items ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom