Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Beggar

Cipher
Finally got it

YY8sfMq.png
nnnnnnnnnnnn.jpg

:outrage:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
That Knight's Honor achvm was a pain in the ass to get.

Playing one character across all three games is an interesting idea I guess, tho not on my priority list for sure. Anyway there's such a phenomenal crapton of ieas and comments on the net about how to improve DS1 I don't see why they needed to ask one specific person. Plus Cowboy, as knowledgeable as he is about DS2 and DS3, haven't even played DS1 much.

If anyone I'd ask Ghey for Games, those crazy SOBs are an absolute treasure trove of DS knowledge.

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I'm doing my first run of the game. So far, I've beat the following bosses:

- Minotaur
- Bell Gargoyles
- That fucker with the two dogs in a really small place
- Butterfly in the forest

I killed a few mini-bosses as well, some through legitimate combat, others through gaming the system. That black knight close to the bonfire before the Minotaur on the bridge, for example? Had to use my magic arrow to get him to follow me, so I kept jogging towards the roof of that house where the undead keep throwing bombs at you. Once I got on top of that roof, I just shot his ass off, got a nice sword I can't use properly (but it's so awesome to see my character struggle swinging it). I also got cursed by some frogs after killing a butcher guy and falling down a hole behind him. It sucked.

I used to think I found my new favorite game, but now I'm questioning this game more and more. Most important of all: enemy respawning, and bonfire placement. The respawning gets tiring very, very fast. And the bonfire placement which forces you to walk long stretches every time you die doesn't help at all. I know what difficult and what tedious are. Dark Souls is both difficult (IMO), but also extremely tedious. Best way I can illustrate this is as following: when dying, I don't care so much about the Souls I lose, but rather the fact I'll have to beat the same fucking enemies once again just to get back to the place I died at and keep moving forward, more so if the last bonfire was a long distance away.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
It never really bothered me in that regard. Maybe you have missed shortcuts and hidden bonfires.

Also you can just sprint through monsters once you know the zone.

got a nice sword I can't use properly (but it's so awesome to see my character struggle swinging it)
it's funny how you only get those weapons to drop on characters that can't use them.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
It never really bothered me in that regard. Maybe you have missed shortcuts and hidden bonfires.

Also you can just sprint through monsters once you know the zone.

got a nice sword I can't use properly (but it's so awesome to see my character struggle swinging it)
it's funny how you only get those weapons to drop on characters that can't use them.

Hidden bonfires is another thing: I didn't know there were illusory walls and the like in the game, a guide told me that (and thus helped me before the butterfly). I didn't know I could run either (or jump for that matter), I literally found out by reading the Codex review of the PC release.

I thought the sword was a sure drop, but according to the Wiki it is only a 20% chance, so go figure, lol. I think I'm playing a Sorcerer, but I'm mostly relying on Longsword +5 which I wield two-handed.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
20% drop chance probably with maximum item find.

I thought the sword was a sure drop, but according to the Wiki it is only a 20% chance, so go figure, lol. I think I'm playing a Sorcerer, but I'm mostly relying on Longsword +5 which I wield two-handed.
There's a greatsword like that but that is meant for sorcerers and scales with int. It's actually in all souls games and first appeared in King's Field.

Good luck getting it without being told how tho :M

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Defeated the Gaping Dragon in my first try. It was a fairly simple fight, though it had a few tricks up its sleeve that could have easily killed me. That said, I'm aware it is supposedly the easiest boss in the game.

Found a ring that absorbs HP of fallen foes, so that's pretty cool. Still haven't overcome my fear of those frogs, but at least I dispatched them all without getting cursed once again.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I hope you are using katana

Just a Longsword +5. It's my best weapon that I can actually use, I think. Then again, it is upgraded as opposed to all of my other weapons, so I should check up on my bottomless box how the standard Longsword compares to other weapons I have.

Feel free to spend titanite *shards* to experiment, they can all be bought for souls from midgame onwards. The same is not true about *chunks*, so be more careful with those. Generally speaking, the weapon upgrade system is convoluted for no good reason, so it's recommended to just read the relevant wiki article.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
So you're playing a sorcerer, eh? Good luck
I dont know man, coming over from DS3 where Ingot used to jumping around and doding more I think magic is definetly the eazy mode for Dark Souls
Since magic doesnt cost stamina here you can just roll around and keep your distance while spaming soul arrow spells
Plus that longsword with an magic infusion is a very viable weapon up to cutting Seath's tail for the Moonlight greatsword

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Defeated the Gaping Dragon in my first try. It was a fairly simple fight, though it had a few tricks up its sleeve that could have easily killed me. That said, I'm aware it is supposedly the easiest boss in the game.

Found a ring that absorbs HP of fallen foes, so that's pretty cool. Still haven't overcome my fear of those frogs, but at least I dispatched them all without getting cursed once again.
but did you

cut his tail

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yep, fyi Sigourn - most enemies with tails (all of them? not sure) can be robbed of their pride whereupon you acquire a weapon of yore. Sometimes it's a fucking chore tho.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Yeah I discovered by accident on the gargoyles boss. It's easier if you have a summoned ally to distract the thing.

sullynathan

Arcane
So you're playing a sorcerer, eh? Good luck
I dont know man, coming over from DS3 where Ingot used to jumping around and doding more I think magic is definetly the eazy mode for Dark Souls
Since magic doesnt cost stamina here you can just roll around and keep your distance while spaming soul arrow spells
Plus that longsword with an magic infusion is a very viable weapon up to cutting Seath's tail for the Moonlight greatsword
That's what I meant, my comment was vague. Magic us really easy, especially the more points you put into intelligence.

Suicidal

Arcane
Just finished playing this. Had some really great moments (namely: the fight with the two knights in the giant castle zone, the goo spewing corrupted swordsman and the final bosses of the main game and DLC) but also a lot of boring slogging through repetitive trash mobs with dumbass AI that get stuck in walls, doorways, rocks and each other, fall of cliffs to their deaths and blatantly ignore you as you shoot arrows at their head from a stone throw's range and a lot of shitty boss encounters that are defeated by running up really close and left clicking them to death while they impotently swing their oversized weapons at the location you were at 5 seconds ago.

Overall pretty fun game, but holy fuck is it overrated and all of this talk about it being hard had me going in with higher expectations than I should have. I think it would have been much better if all the bosses were replaced with variations of the 4 I mentioned above. Because those were fun and challenging. I actually had to time my attacks and dodges. I actually had to roll around like Sonic the fucking hedgehog in order to not die.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I just returned to the Undead Asylum and fell through the floor... I'm not calling you morons, FromSoftware, but this is a retarded design decision if I've ever seen one. For what purpose, other than annoy the player?

The more I play Dark Souls, the more convinced I am it's not so much "difficult" as it is retardedly designed. Any game can be made difficult with retarded design.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Just because normies call dark souls most difficult game ever doesn't mean it's actually the most difficult game ever.

I'm not saying it is the "most difficult game ever". Just that it supposed difficulty is a lie. If you want to give your players a sense of accomplishment, you make tough enemies and bosses. If you want to frustrate your players, you place 20 enemy and a long ass walk between the nearest bonfire and the next boss. It's not about difficulty, but about wearing down the player. I have limited patience, and I'm not sure how long can I keep playing this game before I say "fuck it".

A Nuzlocke Pokémon run is difficult, but not "frustrating".

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
If you want to give your players a sense of accomplishment, you make tough enemies and bosses. If you want to frustrate your players, you place 20 enemy and a long ass walk between the nearest bonfire and the next boss.

Hm. If those 20 enemies are easy how is the game frustrating? Shouldn't you be able to just blast through them?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
If you want to give your players a sense of accomplishment, you make tough enemies and bosses. If you want to frustrate your players, you place 20 enemy and a long ass walk between the nearest bonfire and the next boss.

Hm. If those 20 enemies are easy how is the game frustrating? Shouldn't you be able to just blast through them?

When did I say they were easy? The problem with Dark Souls is that it mixes both: tough enemies and bosses, and having to hike a long trek if you die just to face the boss again. It's a retarded design decision, and there's a reason why barely any games other than the Souls series use it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom