Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Tim Cain at Reboot Develop 2017 - Building a Better RPG: Seven Mistakes to Avoid

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sure, you might be right, but the extreme conclusion from what Grauken is saying is that you should never create graphs in Excel, because just reading the numbers off the table is more intuitive. Of course that's not what he really means, so better to just say that this particular visualization doesn't look like it will work.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
That's a developmental fallacy. I remember all the 90tie games when they thought doing everything with little intuitive icons would be better than text buttons. Turns out most of those icons where never as intuitive as simple text buttons (e.g. a disk for saving doesn't make sense for kids these days). I wager that the shapes would confuse our gameplaying dumb nut audience far more than plain numbers

That's not what he's doing here.

He's trying to streamline information by repackaging it in a visual style he thinks it's easier to fathom, which I think is a fallacy. It's not

I think it's a fallacy when it's a one-to-one replacement of a text label with a shape. Not when you're creating a fundamanentallly new way of organizing the information for which a geometric shape is the most natural means of visualizing.

Is it dumbed down? Yes, probably. Less intuitive? I don't think so.

Why have stats at all when they're so dumbed down to be almost meaningless. Whether it's number or shapes or whatever, if you keep the same level of complexity it will always confuse dumb nuts, having little triangles won't help you there. If you dumb it down, why not admit you just want to make an action game and completely disregard stats at all. At least that way you're honest about your approach

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Sure, you might be right, but the extreme conclusion from what Grauken is saying is that you should never create graphs in Excel, because just reading the numbers off the table is more intuitive. Of course that's not what he really means, so better to just say that this particular visualization doesn't look like it will work.

That's different. In most cases not using tables instead of diagrams is utterly valid, because executives want it down to simple numbers, nobody reads tables, as most of the information in them is extraneous. But cRPG players use character stats. Hiding them is an affront.

Darkzone

Arcane
Question to Tim Cain: How can i permutate your triangles, if i want to have a character with very good perception, very good Intelligence and good Charisma and Ok physical states or a character with very good strength, agillity and endurance and yucky intelligence, charisma and perception.

You can have both visualized attributes and numbers at the same time.
ydfw_fm_2017-04-08_16-23-51-62.jpg

At the beginning i thought about this.

Last edited:
Fuck, all the old developers got brain rot

If it can happen to John Carpenter, it can happen to any one.

And like John Carpenter, if you're going to get brain rot, at least have the style to do get it soon after making a story about a a creature that, upon killing you, takes your face, mind and memories and uses them to further its evil ends.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What's the point in increasing critical damage, you have to start pretty low, making crits unexciting, or start high and kill people dead for 3000% damage, what's the point. Even worse actually when crit damage is a flat number as working that number upwards also seems slow and unexciting.

Dungeon Siege 3 had the doom stat which increased critical damage. The range was something like 1.5-3x if you stack it as high as you can. It's fine.

DeepOcean

Arcane
To be honest, I think it's good that Tim wants to experiment again. I am just not sure how it will end...
Sure, innovating is something really good unless the definition of innovating is "Damn, how am I going to fool people that hate RPGs into playing one?"

That is a path that leads you into making action games with some very superficial RPG elements on the top because... spoiler alert for developers: People that don't like RPGs will make pressure for your "RPG" game to be less and less of an RPG. It is more honest to say you aren't making RPGs anymore because you wanna go where the money is, Boderlands 2 with lots of addicting random drops and multiplayer and the least amount of roleplaying as possible.

Tim just repeated on this talk all the modern design talk points from the AAA industry as if it was an incredible discovery. Alot of those older developers just lost any confidence on design and are now obsessed with following the herd.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Well, there it goes then. Fuck you and fuck numberless geometric shapes.

Oh well, still have a big backlog of old RPGs I never played. No loss.
I wish this would be the case since I prefer first and third person over isometric, but I doubt Obsidian has money for this. And watching the presentation I did not really get an impression that those examples given were necessarily from the current project.

Great presentation though, I disagree with some stuff (geometry shapes over numbers? fuck that), but I liked his examples of reactivity from Arcanum, it gave me big boost of enthusiasm in giving it another chance.

DeepOcean

Arcane

DeepOcean

Arcane
Boderlands 2 with lots of addicting random drops and multiplayer and the least amount of roleplaying as possible.

What if it's Borderlands 2 with lots of addicting random drops (1-2 in his list) AND roleplaying (5-7)? +M
On a few years:
"Hi, I'm Tim Cain, the leader designer of Fallout 5: Borderlands Edition, after my long years of experience making Fallout 5 I've have come to the conclusion that people feel confused when they get to a door they can't open, I watched alot of players getting frustrated with missing content. Another thing I did and thought was okay, to have stats determining speech checks was a mistake because people would miss content too. I really hate the possibility of people making wrong builds with all those confusing attributes that people hate so Fallout 6 will only have three stats for people to easily understand:

"I gonna rip your guts." for melee fighters.
"Gonna headshot you NOOB and I hate your mom too." for ranged fighters
"Mr. Smart pants egghead." for intellect based builds."

I think this is an acceptable and cool way to give what people want.

DeepOcean

Arcane
If you think I'm being edgy Infinitron, did you ever played Skyrim? Sorry, I don't have this trust on Obsidian as you do.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If you think I'm being edgy Infinitron, did you ever played Skyrim? Sorry, I don't have this trust on Obsidian as you do.

I don't think Obsidian are interested in compromising on the C&C aspect of their games right now. I don't think Leonard Boyarsky left his job at Blizzard to do that. I think Obsidian see the popularity of FO:NV compared to FO4 these days, and want to cash in on that.

Tigranes

Arcane
"People are bad at maths, let's make our maths wrong so they are right"

I'll give the whole geometric stuff the benefit of the doubt, people should be allowed to experiment with crazy shit and that's why it's an experiment. It'll be a different story if we see it in a real game...

Fuck, all the old developers got brain rot

If it can happen to John Carpenter, it can happen to any one.

And like John Carpenter, if you're going to get brain rot, at least have the style to do get it soon after making a story about a a creature that, upon killing you, takes your face, mind and memories and uses them to further its evil ends.

Citation needed? Ok, I twisted it a bit to fit the scenario, but common, The Thing FFS!!!:D

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Carpenter's decline is rather impressive, sort of, so many great movies and then it all went to shit

valcik

Arcane
In summary, I think it's clear that Tim and Leonard's game will very much be a streamlined, "newschool" sort of RPG.
A lot of things you've listed here appeared in V:TMB.

CtH depending on player's skill rather than stats;
non-linear approach to quests;
reactivity based on character's background, stats, or skills;
antagonist being common guy treated and manipulated by NPCs accordingly..

Less complexity in character sheet is a bad news, I'd take any game similar to V:TMB anytime though. Such a flawed gem!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom