Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Tim Cain at Reboot Develop 2017 - Building a Better RPG: Seven Mistakes to Avoid

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
The triangle system sounds incredibly shitty.

What's the point in increasing critical damage, you have to start pretty low, making crits unexciting, or start high and kill people dead for 3000% damage, what's the point. Even worse actually when crit damage is a flat number as working that number upwards also seems slow and unexciting.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
I'm disappointed. He was really on to something with Arcanum's system -not so much with the implementation- but it looks like he's considering it a failure.

Hellion

Arcane
"Geometric shapes" ROFL. Reminds me of a Kindergartener's book or something, "Timmy, open your book and circle with your pen every Triangle you see on this page. No Timmy, those are SQUARES, I want you to select the TRIANGLES, the TRIANGLES Timmy. YES TIMMY GOOD JOB".

For example, he says the player's first attack against an enemy should always hit.

This principle could be exploited on so many levels.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Many action-RPGs are better without stats at all, though. If you watch the talk, it doesn't sound so much like he wants to "hide" numbers but take them away and replace them with something more discrete/number. The geometric shape system he talks about (he uses triangles in his example) divides character attributes into "Good", "OK" and "Yucky", not a whole spectrum of behind-the-scenes numbers.

He also mentions perks during the talk, but says he doesn't like when you have an overwhelming selection of them to choose from all at once.

The numbers are there behind the scenes (you can't program with shapes), you just can't see what it is. :argh:

I guess it doesn't really matter if the numbers only go from 1-5 but it does with larger amounts.

Having attributes range from 1 to 5 would be acceptable (most of the uneven number ones didn't usually do jack shit) if the underlying system was deep and reactive. For a real-time game it could be done on a completely deterministic level and still be deep and compelling if done right.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I am not sure what that "first attack always hits" principle means in the context of an action-RPG where he also says aiming is determined by player skill anyway.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
To whom is Fallout 1 overwhelming? How retarded do you have to be not to get some simple stats and skills? I guess such a faggot would die if he tried to play Underrail, instant mind blown! Better put warning labels on non-accessible games for these dorito manboons, millions of lives are at risk!

But character building is not player skill! LOL

I am not sure what that "first attack always hits" principle means in the context of an action-RPG where he also says aiming is determined by player skill anyway.

It means that will be a popamole game. That's what it means.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Fuck, all the old developers got brain rot

If it can happen to John Carpenter, it can happen to any one.

Where's your messiah now, Codex?
First MCA, then Tim Cain. Where is your god now?
...There are no saints in heaven. There are no saints on earth. There are no ghosts in heaven. There are no ghosts on earth. There are no gods in heaven. There are no gods on earth....

And there's no i in team.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Since I'm not sure people understood what I meant by my description, here are Tim's slides of his geometric shape attribute visualization idea:

KZYVajy.jpg
quSZcbe.jpg

It's not "replace each number with a different shape".

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
That's a developmental fallacy. I remember all the 90tie games when they thought doing everything with little intuitive icons would be better than text buttons. Turns out most of those icons where never as intuitive as simple text buttons (e.g. a disk for saving doesn't make sense for kids these days). I wager that the shapes would confuse our gameplaying dumb nut audience far more than plain numbers

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
That's a developmental fallacy. I remember all the 90tie games when they thought doing everything with little intuitive icons would be better than text buttons. Turns out most of those icons where never as intuitive as simple text buttons (e.g. a disk for saving doesn't make sense for kids these days). I wager that the shapes would confuse our gameplaying dumb nut audience far more than plain numbers

That's not what he's doing here.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

He's trying to streamline information by repackaging it in a visual style he thinks it's easier to fathom, which I think is a fallacy. It's not

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

He's trying to streamline information by repackaging it in a visual style he thinks it's easier to fathom, which I think is a fallacy. It's not

I think it's a fallacy when it's a one-to-one replacement of a text label with a shape. Not when you're creating a fundamanentallly new way of organizing the information for which a geometric shape is the most natural means of visualizing.

Is it dumbed down? Yes, probably. Less intuitive? Not necessarily.

Last edited:

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Having additional visual cues is definitely easier to grasp for both retards and sapiens alike, but a straight line (usually adopted as health/stamina bars in video games) is enough. It's not a coincidence that it's so universally adopted and that even shitty ARPG's like Mass Effect/Alpha Protocol use them for (combat) skills.

EDIT: Color is also p. persistent with red signifying lower and green higher states of being.

Thonius

Arcane

I think it's a fallacy when it's a one-to-one replacement of a text label with a shape. Not when you're creating a fundamanentallly new way of organizing the information for which a geometric shape is the most natural means of visualizing.

Is it dumbed down? Yes, probably. Less intuitive? I don't think so.
That's a fucking gimmick at most. "It's gonna change a whole genre!" hur durr radial charts and shit.
Yeah, like typical console retard will see this charts and get a boner on rpg's for life. Sure Tim as you say.
Sawyer need to make his history turn based rpg now! Till feargus and co starts dripping saliva and start kickstarter for jenga rpg.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom