Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not a very enlightening update generally. I wish they told us a bit more about 1.1 and what it will change.

:what:

I looked into this - basically it would be enough if they gave source for their scripts (.cnut) at least (those are compiled with squirell script 3.0.4 - and currently there is no decompiler. It's possible to write one - but this is will take some time). Everything else can be done fairly easily by dedicated modders.

AMG

Arbiter
Yeah, nice bullshit. This is in no way like translations, mods are not official parts of the game, so if they fuck up some stuff or whatever it's no resposibility of the developer.
They probably are still pondering wheter they want to milk some DLC and as such they don't want mods to compete with that. Or they just have some sort of autism.

Parabalus

Arcane
How much would mods even generate sales from them? This is a niche game and mods would be even more niche. Mods add a lot of longevity but I can't say I have ever bought a game because of modding.

Antigoon

Augur
At least with a good and active modding scene you could generate sales over a much longer period. Pretty sure both nwn would have not sold so many copies years later without any modding tools.

Parabalus

Arcane
At least with a good and active modding scene you could generate sales over a much longer period. Pretty sure both nwn would have not sold so many copies years later without any modding tools.

But that game was an AAA game which sold massively initially and the key part of the modding was multiplayer with persistent worlds, neither of which are true for BB.

Antigoon

Augur
Of course that are not the numbers they are going for. Still, the only reason I can think of for not making modding possible is that they are thinking of releasing some sort of expansion. But even if that would be a really great one, I dont think they would get any new players from that alone. Sure people who liked the base game would buy it, but new players? By then the hype is long gone and the game old in modern gamer minds. I would put all my hope for BB in modders and move on to a new project, which of course should build on what they have now. Obviously I dont need to worry about financials or any other numbers

SmartCheetah

Arcane
RimWorld was such a huge blast mostly because of modding. And they had modding in mind from the day1 (As it should be)

I can understand that they see difficulties with introducing modding to their game at this point because that sounds like a lot of work. Still, people were yelling at them "Modding! Modding!" for a year or so. It was a really wanted feature, and they didn't listen back then. I would be really surprised and disappointed if they would start working on another title and abondon idea of modding once again.

rezaf

Cipher
I ended up pressing on with my Undead crisis game, essentially retrying battles a couple of times each day and then moving on to playing something else. Eventually, I prevailed and got the same anticlimactic crisis ending described upthread.

I think the game still feels way too early-accessy. The battle system won me over after I was initially skeptical (even though I'd still say it suffers from a lack of options), but all other systems feel unfinished and/or don't live up to their potential.
The missions are samey, the world feels generic, the skills are unbalanced and for the most part too low-impact ... reading the steam reviews, it sounds like they even significantly dialed back from what they already had in the official EA period.
A game like this can only really get good sales at $30 if at least enthusiasts can recommend it to other enthusiasts without reservations.
As in, "You have to play this, it has xyz which is really unique.". Battle Brother's xyz is combat icons that consist of bobbleheads, and even that is not unique as Unity of Command had a somehat similiar style.
That just doesn't quite cut it.

I really boggles my mind, because I can't imagine it'd be too hard to add some neat things such as more contract types, a better skill tree, maybe even a thin RPG layer (this game is clearly in the wrong forum and would belong in Strategy games).
The heavy lifting (game engine and system) is done and works well.

However...

I can understand that they see difficulties with introducing modding to their game at this point because that sounds like a lot of work. Still, people were yelling at them "Modding! Modding!" for a year or so. It was a really wanted feature, and they didn't listen back then. I would be really surprised and disappointed if they would start working on another title and abondon idea of modding once again.

If it's so hard to add translations or modding, they clearly made some grave mistakes when designing their codebase. Because it CAN be quite hard to shoehorn modding into a codebase that wasn't meant to accomodate it from the get go.
And if a codebase is like this, it could also mean making such things yourselves, as the developers, is just as hard.
In a way, official new content - new scenarios, new weapons, new character backgrounds, new ending crises, ... all those things are not that different to mods, after all.

Tigranes

Arcane
The game is basically entirely combat system, everything else is barely adequate or shit/nonexistent.

I never paid much attention to this game during EA as I didn't see what was so great. I don't regret buying it full price at launch, I've had a blast with it - but it is a very limited game in the end as things stand, and I would tell others to wait for 30-50% sale.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
If they intend to milk monies with DLC, well...get on with it! I would buy it! Unless it's "battle sisters DLC", "Dindu warrior DLC" or other virtue signaling faggotry.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
Well at least they did not give in to the legion of those "translate it to my language" dementos.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
It blows my mind how this is not a big hit; I honestly have been playing it non stop and cannot get enough of it
It is the best PC game I have played this year by far and while yeah it could improve world reactivity and some quests aspects it is fucking amazing
Still waiting to actually be able to pay for it though

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Big downside to these sorts of games is that your interest in them just sort of... ends. There's no really satisfying closure happening (regarding the story elements you've found for example) and so I think many start with a positive impression... But by the end that turns into disappointment and then you really begin to notice all those obvious flaws hard.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Big downside to these sorts of games is that your interest in them just sort of... ends. There's no really satisfying closure happening (regarding the story elements you've found for example) and so I think many start with a positive impression... But by the end that turns into disappointment and then you really begin to notice all those obvious flaws hard.

That is true.
I spend plenty of hours in EA but after release not so much. First there were little new content. Secondly can not make changes and see how it affect gameplay. Third - world is passive and not interesting to watch.
After I finished my last campaign that I post on YT I have zero will to start another. None at all.

The game is basically entirely combat system, everything else is barely adequate or shit/nonexistent.

I never paid much attention to this game during EA as I didn't see what was so great. I don't regret buying it full price at launch, I've had a blast with it - but it is a very limited game in the end as things stand, and I would tell others to wait for 30-50% sale.

Great was potential and great was combat system. As you can see devs nerfed most funny Op builds to the ground but did not give anything else. There was potential for simulation and living world in Early builds but as you can see its gone. I secretly hoped that current system was just placeholder and we will see real faction system and changing world on release but nope.

The modding.
Well current game structure were always like that.
So either it was flawed design from begging and they roll with that or they just plan to make money from DLC but with no publicity it will not work.
You know Paradox was niche studio with niche games but their games were and are easily modable. So they grow their power base to the point of some cult. Its not gonna happen here because - no modding allowed. They took break right now and that mean no new content either.
Well German autism strikes again.

Waterd

Augur
Personally I don't think it needs that much fiddling to vastly improve. I think the main problem is that the game slogs lategame (and i mean a little before the late game crisis and on the late game crisis) If they could make a reasonable campaign Shorter and smaller, I think it would be a vast improvement. I think most people enjoy the first 20-30 hours and are left with a huge posiitive impression, just to be sorely dissapointed on the next 20-30

Baptismbyfire

Liturgist
Despite the low sales, I wish they would see the vast potential in fleshing out the game more, and doing some rebalancing. I guess EA sales ate up too much of their intended consumer base, since this game is too edgy for gamers today, who whine and demand instant gratification.

I was planning on purchasing another copy when it comes out on GOG to support the developers, but if the developers are unsure of the direction to take their franchise, I am not gonna waste my potatoes.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I maintain my position that the sales are decent, not bad. We're talking about a very niche genre with 2d graphics and no legs. It's basically a really cool board game.

80k and still going, it's not bad.

Tigranes

Arcane
Gobbos were pretty fun, I thought.

What the hell is the rule with resurrections? Is it that necros can shove your dudes out of the way to raise corpses, while 'natural' resses only happen on free hexes?

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Wait, so you guys are saying I should ask for a refund on steam, wait till it's available on GoG and get it at a 50% discount? Wasn't this thing supposed the best game ever according to you guys, just a few weeks ago?

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
OK, just finished the Greenskin Invasion. Better than the Undead, IMO. This time I had an actual final battle. After slaying some orc parties a big warlord (second warlord) came to fight surrounded by 24 greenskins. WHAT A FIGHT!!!! :incline::incline::incline:

This campaign would've gone a lot smoother if I didn't waste so much money on the veteran hall. Lesson learned: reaching lvl 11 a little earlier is not that big of a deal. And I missed out on magic items the entire game for whatever reason.

Anyway, time to make some kings! :D

Wait, so you guys are saying I should ask for a refund on steam, wait till it's available on GoG and get it at a 50% discount? Wasn't this thing supposed the best game ever according to you guys, just a few weeks ago?

The game is THE best attempt to recreate the Xcom/JA2 experience in almost a decade. To me that's reason enough to support the devs. The people complaining about the game only do so after 200+ hours. Let the thought sink in...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom