Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Soviet Fallout homage ATOM RPG now on Kickstarter

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: ATOM RPG; ATOM Team

ATOM RPG is a Fallout-inspired RPG from Eastern Europe, the latest in the genre often derisively termed "Russian shovelware Fallout clones". This one seems more high quality than most, though. The developers, who call themselves the ATOM Team, are apparently all experienced game development professionals, and their friendly representative on our forum, Atomboy, has made a good impression. The game was actually greenlit on Steam last year and it already has a Steam page. It's even got an exact release date - February 16, 2018 - and there's a free demo, too. So this is a game that's probably coming out no matter what. Nevertheless, the Atom Team have decided to seek out additional funding on Kickstarter. Here's their pitch video and overview:

The deterioration in relations between Eastern and Western blocs in the 1979 has led to a full-blown Armageddon between nuclear powers in the year 1986. The War was swift, devastating and brutal… The fact that humanity persevered was miraculous.

Nineteen years have passed and it’s 2005. Both once great Empires and their allies now lie in ruins, but on top of those ruins new civilizations are slowly emerging...

This story takes place on a small patch of land in the south part of the USSR where you take the role of an undercover operative from a secret bunker society called ATOM... Your mission is to find any traces of an expedition that recently stopped contacting the main base...

Game features
  • Nonlinearity: ATOM is an open world role-playing game! You are not going through a corridor, you are investigating a mystery. And this could be achieved in numerous ways. There are no artificial boundaries in the world of ATOM. Oh, and there are no "essential characters" in the game. So everybody is a "fair game" ;)
  • Characters: There will be more than 300 characters in the game. ALL of them with their unique personalities, portraits and dialogues!
  • Encounters and Quests: There are numerous side missions, hidden adventure-like puzzles and secrets scattered around the Wastes. Even the smallest tasks can lead to a big and intricate side story, open some details about the world or somehow interconnect with the main quest! And of course, like in every self-respecting RPG there's always more than one way of dealing with them.
  • Combat: A turn-based combat system isn't just a nod to the legendary generation of CRPGs. For us, it's also an aesthetic choice. What's the point of combat, when you can't enjoy your every thought-through move, your every step, shot or punch? What's the point of victory, when it wasn't precisely planned in a cunning strategic move?
  • Weapons and Items: There will be more than 30 available weapons in the full version of the game. Soviet weaponry, makeshift shivs and guns as well as some secret weapons from the Western bloc the existence of which in the game world will be neatly tied to the lore!
  • Soundtrack: The soundtrack is heavily inspired by Eduard Artemyev and other Soviet era electronic composers, ranging from ambient to synth-wave!

Looks a lot like Wasteland 2, doesn't it? If you'd like to chip in, a copy of ATOM RPG will cost you just $15. It's got 42 more days to reach its humble funding goal of $15,000. That seems doable.

Aenra

I don't get where you see the shovelware part.. you used the verb 'looks'; what were you expecting, Crysis level graphics? Looks really O.K. to me.

Agreed on the camera though, not a fan of this rotating shit. Got tiring even in games i -was- interested in (D:OS). Why all the extra work for something so tiring is beyond me, but to each their own i guess :)
Haven't followed this, anyone knows if you control just the one char or a full party?

Last edited by a moderator:

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Looks very vague indeed...the graphics look like Age of Decadence, the UI like Wasteland 2 but little information on the setting, combat. ETc
Worth watching though

Shilandra

Learned
Not to sure about this game. Demo isn't very promising. The stats are nice and the combat is bearable. But first quest is a gather 5 wolf pelts type fetch quest and the camera sensitivity is insane with no options to change it. Plus no gender select makes me sad.

Doesn't seem worth it.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Not to sure about this game. Demo isn't very promising. The stats are nice and the combat is bearable. But first quest is a gather 5 wolf pelts type fetch quest and the camera sensitivity is insane with no options to change it. Plus no gender select makes me sad.

Doesn't seem worth it.
You know it's a demo right? You're not playing anything near the final product. You can't judge the game based on that.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
demos are literally made to be indicative of the final product enticing you to buy it

Last edited:

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
demos are literally made to be a indicative of the final product enticing you to buy it
So you would play the Van Buren pre-alpha tech demo and then judge Black Isles Studios final version of Fallout 3 based on that?

Shilandra was complaining about mouse sensitivity and things like that which will obviously be fixed in the final product.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Eh, 1C will eventually pick it up and we'll get it for a dollar in some shovelware bundle.Russian games are always intriguing as you never know what you're going to get, save that almost invariably it will be buggy and clunky. This might turn out great like 7.62mm with the mod, or shitty like Borderzone. We'll live and learn.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
demos are literally made to be a indicative of the final product enticing you to buy it
So you would play the Van Buren pre-alpha tech demo and then judge Black Isles Studios final version of Fallout 3 based on that?

Shilandra was complaining about mouse sensitivity and things like that which will obviously be fixed in the final product.

notsureifserious.jpg

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Oh you guys! Nothing beats getting up in the evening, turning on your computer, and seeing rpg codex actually made a thread about your stuff. Not just any thread, though! Front page stuff, mingling with news about Pillars of Eternity II and other huge projects. Effective as hell - with more new supporters on the kickstarter page every hour. And look! I even got this fancy developer plaque above of my Wizardry 6 Dwarven Priest's face! This one can't stress the amounts of gratitude it has for ya'll at this moment. Believe it or not, we'll do everything to make this attempt at a Slavic Fallout the best there ever was. And seeing how one of you mentioned BORDERZONE of all the obscure things in existence, you of all people will KNOW whether we did our best or failed. Because you seem to know of all the previous tries made by us Eastern Europeans. Ever.

I think this thread is much more important than the one I made on the forums, so feel free to ask me anything about the game. ATOM managed to keep me exited about it for three years or so, so I'm happy to talk about it all the freaking time!

Love you guys!

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I think this thread is much more important than the one I made on the forums, so feel free to ask me anything about the game. ATOM managed to keep me exited about it for three years or so, so I'm happy to talk about it all the freaking time!

Love you guys!

If this is supposed to be like Fallout 2, can you fix the camera in one position and use transparency when you are behind walls like Fallout did? You can still make camera rotation optional, but it'd be great if rotating the camera was not necessary.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Great, another such thread that eventually ends with nothing.

Believe it or not, we'll do everything to make this attempt at a Slavic Fallout the best there ever was. And seeing how one of you mentioned BORDERZONE of all the obscure things in existence, you of all people will KNOW whether we did our best or failed. Because you seem to know of all the previous tries made by us Eastern Europeans. Ever.

1. So this is the elephant in the room, the weight of the past fallout-clones that you might not be responsible for but will still be asked to answer. Game industry is a small world and nobody ever wants to say anything negative about anyone else, but fans want to know what it is you've learned from those past failures. What went wrong, in your view, and how will you avoid their mistakes?

2. Atom will inevitably be compared against the classics, and their successors Wasteland 2, Underrail etc. It's best to preempt that comparison now and state clearly how you are different. After all you are going for the same audience.

You know the answer. This guy is a young potato who thinks he can become a game developer with a few friends from university, 15,000$ and iron will. Most of all he doesnt know what you already know, that you can't make successful games in such environment.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I just wish that people didn't trash everything whenever they stop a project or finish it or whatever. I dislike the idea of everyone having to reinvent the wheel every single game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom