Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

spekkio

Arcane
aweigh said:
Lyric Suite

aweigh said:
ni no kuni

24SY2t1.gif

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Lyric Suite

would you be a dear and test how ni no kuni runs on ps3 emu? my amd cpu is, according to cpu-z's benching/reference utility, "65% / 100%" when benched/referenced versus your amd 8350.

Which one, there's like multiple versions:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ni_no_Kuni

I found a link for Wrath of the White Witch and it is like 20gb. I gotta friend who likes to collect PS3 games. He doesn't usually like Japanese stuff but he might have a copy of this. I'll ask him next time i'll see him, otherwise i'll just download the 20gb.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Currently trying Ketsui Kizuna Jigoku Tachi Extra and it doesn't even pretend to load. Can the emulator bypass region coded games? I wonder if that's the problem.

I'm going to try Xenia next to see how it runs Cave games, but i need to go back to Windows 10 for that. Fuck.

Walden

Savant
Btw I'm still :negative: about rpcs3 and psn patches.

I'm bloody curious about Folklore and 3D Dot Game Heroes, I'd love to play them, but thanks to my shitty italian connection my highest download peak is nearly 250 kb/s.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Heh, i tried 1942, which is classified as "playable" according to the official list:

https://rpcs3.net/compatibility?s=1&p=2

And performance is generally good but not perfect. I'm going to assume any game that is even remotely demanding will run like crap no matter what.

Trying some beat em up next. JoJo, BlazeBlue etc. Also Metal Slug. Those ought to play fine. Focusing on stuff that is mostly only available on PS3 'cause otherwise what's the point of this emulator.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Lol, JoJo is barely playable. This is shit is still WAY off.

Still, i'm now actually hopeful.

The picture didn't compress well at all, the original frame capture is 2880x2160 and I had to shrink it down to a reasonable size, plus JPG compression blows chunks. After all this butchering the screenshot looks like a crappy scanline filter, but that's not it at all.

The game itself looks like shit, though.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Trying some beat em up next. JoJo, BlazeBlue etc. Also Metal Slug. Those ought to play fine. Focusing on stuff that is mostly only available on PS3 'cause otherwise what's the point of this emulator.
One game I've kept a look at is Dragon's Crown, but it's still glitched last I check. Still hopeful, sometimes there's just a few game-specific tweaks missing.

npjb40001_0000094oa5.jpg

The PPSSPP core on Retroarch is severely outdated, so I decided to get the standalone version. I love this console, I've had it for over 10 years and there are so many good games for it.

I never played this verison of MH3 though, is it any good? I played MHF2 Unite for a couple hundred hours and it was fun. I didn't like the Wii version of MH3 that much...

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
MHFU is better than portable 3rd it has like triple the amount of content.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Just gave Xenia a spin, and was able to start three of Cave's shmups. Two of them didn't work well, but one (Espgaluda II) was actually quite fluid and was perfectly playable besides a few glitches here and there.

So we now have a running PS3 and Xbox 360 emulator. Neither of them works well but they are out of there. Very interesting indeed.

Today I discovered two cool arcade games that I did not play back in the day, both by Irem and both by the team that eventually broke off and formed Nazca (who later developed Metal Slug).

The first is a very cool beat-em-up in a post apocalyptic setting, called Undercover Cops, from 1992. This even got a SNES port, but I had never played it. Soundtrack kicks ass and the game looks really nice - there are 3 characters with a more varied moveset than Final Fight. The aesthetic in this game kind of reminded me of Hokuto no Ken (i.e. Mad Max by way of jap-o-vision).

uccopsj-170423-025042s8per.jpg

uccopsj-170423-030124lkpli.jpg

This boss is hilarious - she's like a fat-pride feminist of today.

The second one is a direct precursor to Metal Slug - Gun Force 2. People usually cite In the Hunt as being the game that most resembles the Metal Slug style pre-SNK, but I think this one is much closer. Animations aren't quite as awesome, but it's a cool initial starting point. A lot of ideas had their origin here, such as getting into vehicles, saving hostages (instead of being old POWs they're hot babes instead). The soundtrack isn't great like in Undercover Cops, though.

gunforc2-170423-03114iarl7.jpg

gunforc2-170423-03150csrm3.jpg

I feel like I should have known these games before. Thank goodness for MAME.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I am playing Front Mission: Gun Hazard on my Raspberry Pie with Lakka, loving it.

As for 'newer' systems getting emulated, all fine and dandy, but I wish they would come with an original Xbox emulator.

Don Peste

Arcane
I am playing Front Mission: Gun Hazard on my Raspberry Pie with Lakka, loving it.

As for 'newer' systems getting emulated, all fine and dandy, but I wish they would come with an original Xbox emulator.
Softmodding an Xbox is cheap and super-easy...

flyingjohn

Arcane
DDZ said:
Xbox emulator
asFiIs6.png

Yeah, cannot wait to play all these exclusives. :roll:

No panzer dragoon orta?
Plus ninja gaiden black has been ported to the ps3 as the sigma edition.
The xbox strength was in the quality of it's multi platform games.(especially in the audio department)
But considering emulation already allows for more quality versions of the original games, that fact becomes irrelevant.

I guess if somebody really wanted to play the otogi games,he would be looking forward to a xbox emulator.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma is nowhere close to Black. Black is the best NG game by far.

For me the strength of the OG Xbox was the fact that you could run it as an emulation and media box via custom firmware with full SMB network shares (this was more than a decade before the advent of Raspberry Pi and such miniature devices), you could boot games from the hard drive (disc-based media got on my nerves a long time ago) and there were a few good exclusive games for it - my favourite was Panzer Dragoon Orta, it's a shame it never made it to the PC. I still have the original game on DVD.

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
Following 3DS undubs are ENCRYPTED, therefore they don't work with Citra:
  • Shin_Megami_Tensei_Devil_Summoner_Soul_Hackers_USA_UNDUB_v1.0_3DS-HiD
  • Shin_Megami_Tensei_Devil_Survivor_Overclocked_USA_UNDUB_v1.1_3DS-Canzah
  • Shin_Megami_Tensei_Devil_Survivor_2_Record_Breaker_USA_UNDUB_v1.0_3DS-Canzah
  • Shin_Megami_Tensei_IV_USA_UNDUB_v1.0_3DS-Canzah
  • Shin_Megami_Tensei_IV_Apocalypse_USA_UNDUB_v1.0_3DS-Canzah
:rage:
Thanks to some nice dude, I was able to grab all the abovementioned decrypted. So my 3DS undub collection is more or less complete:

MO2Twmq.png

:dance:

All of them work fine on newest BE build of Citra. It looks like dynarec works for FMV now, 'cuz there are no longer slowdowns during FMVs.

:incline:

Also:

nIRM3re.jpg

XPRRV0E.jpg

Paa4I9i.jpg

:dance:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
We need a working PS4 emulator for when Persona 6 comes out.

Oh yeah and the Yakuza games too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom