Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Donkerman

Novice
I find flails to be pretty useful against ancient undead shieldwalls. The damage is a bit varying, but the hit rate is pretty consistent. I think the damage output from berserker chains are too weak compared to other 2H weapons compared to fatigue cost. Rather go with 2h axes. Their 6 target aoe can be devastating with a bloodthristy bro.

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
Regarding flails, how does the berserk chain measure up in the lategame (esp for flail-specialzed bros for the fatigue discount + better hit rate)? The stats + stun make it look decent vs undead, at least on paper...

Big undead fights are a fatigue endurance game, where they have infinite fatigue and you are limited. Berserker Chain doesn't help you from that angle. From a theoretical perspective anyways.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Just defeated the Undead Scourge. Damn that was...anticlimatic? I was expecting to find out what happened to the Not-Romans and beat it into submission at some point, but instead all I got was some "defend X" and "retrieve artifact Y" missions with no connection to each other. After doing those and getting a ton of gold...the crisis just ended. Meh, I say! Got the same slide as Roxor. I'm guessing the "legendary" ending will require two crisis at least.

rapsdjff don't like us anymore.:negative:

New blogpost on http://battlebrothersgame.com/

"By now, some balancing and pacing issues have also come to light which the update will address."

He still LISTENS, and that's all that really matters. I hope BB is selling well.

Zetor

Arcane
Regarding flails, how does the berserk chain measure up in the lategame (esp for flail-specialzed bros for the fatigue discount + better hit rate)? The stats + stun make it look decent vs undead, at least on paper...

Big undead fights are a fatigue endurance game, where they have infinite fatigue and you are limited. Berserker Chain doesn't help you from that angle. From a theoretical perspective anyways.
Yea, though my flail bro has iron lungs. I was more thinking of the potential advantage for mass-stunning multiple undead at once, especially those fuckers with pikes... but it may be better to just YOLO them with a 2h sword instead.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
No word on modding is a little concerning. Still, they talked about translations and mac/linux versions, so hopefully it means "we're still looking into it".

agris

Arcane
Patron

"By now, some balancing and pacing issues have also come to light which the update will address."

He still LISTENS, and that's all that really matters. I hope BB is selling well.
The tone of the blog is pretty pessimistic, and anyone can see why: the game sold well in EA, but has only moved 10k or so copies since it went live. http://steamspy.com/app/365360

I can't help but wonder if the price point is hurting them. I feel like $20 would attract a lot of people who are curious, but $30 is too much for an unknown game with these graphics. I like the graphics a lot btw, but tards gonna tard. At the end of the day, I think Over Hype would be happy if dropping the price by 33% resulted in 2x sales, they just need to believe it's possible.

There's a lot of psychology tied up in how you price a thing that you make, most of having to do with the value the makers associated with the product. The problem is, customers don't give a shit about that. The Brigadore devs suffered from both the price and marketing problems that BBros does. I hope they learn in the future, because a world with more games like BBros is a world I want to live in.

Brigador post-mortem regarding pricing and their sales: http://steamed.kotaku.com/what-happens-after-an-indie-game-fails-1784062530
Marketing (or lack-thereof) analysis of Brigador, and impact on sales: http://psychochild.org/?p=1395

It's the double-punch of high price, low visibility that hurts some good indie games.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
I bought the supporter's edition in EA, my agenda is wanting a successful overhype studios Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
I got that. (I haven't bought Battle Brothers for myself yet, but I have gifted it a few times)
I followed development of Brigador too.
It's a very good game: a true passion project for it's developers. Lack of sales is tragic (they're currently at about 20 000 copies sold on Steam).

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
No word on modding is a little concerning. Still, they talked about translations and mac/linux versions, so hopefully it means "we're still looking into it".

Don't hope, it ain't coming. In general, don't hope.
Well, there's hope in the way they stated these two things defiantly aren't coming but haven't stated modding isn't coming YET. Not exactly the best prospect :negative:

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
70-80k copies sounds p. gud, IMHO. The game stayed in EA for 2 years, it's hard to compare EA sales with post release.

Also, fug, I checked The Bear's Pit hoping those guys haven't heard about BB...but they did. :dealwithit:

agris

Arcane
Patron
70-80k copies sounds p. gud, IMHO. The game stayed in EA for 2 years, it's hard to compare EA sales with post release.

Also, fug, I checked The Bear's Pit hoping those guys haven't heard about BB...but they did. :dealwithit:
These guys are in Germany man, they quit their full time jobs to develop BBros based on the EA sales. You think 1 month after leaving EA and getting 1/6th the EA sales has them dancing? That's about ~$20k USD (post EA sales) with the steam vig taken, not to mention euro-tax weirdness. for a team of people. working full time on a game.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist

The tone of the blog is pretty pessimistic, and anyone can see why: the game sold well in EA, but has only moved 10k or so copies since it went live. http://steamspy.com/app/365360

I can't help but wonder if the price point is hurting them. I feel like $20 would attract a lot of people who are curious, but $30 is too much for an unknown game with these graphics. I like the graphics a lot btw, but tards gonna tard. At the end of the day, I think Over Hype would be happy if dropping the price by 33% resulted in 2x sales, they just need to believe it's possible.

There's a lot of psychology tied up in how you price a thing that you make, most of having to do with the value the makers associated with the product. The problem is, customers don't give a shit about that. The Brigadore devs suffered from both the price and marketing problems that BBros does. I hope they learn in the future, because a world with more games like BBros is a world I want to live in.

Brigador post-mortem regarding pricing and their sales: http://steamed.kotaku.com/what-happens-after-an-indie-game-fails-1784062530
Marketing (or lack-thereof) analysis of Brigador, and impact on sales: http://psychochild.org/?p=1395

It's the double-punch of high price, low visibility that hurts some good indie games.

I'm not the slightest bit surprised that Brigador failed tbh. Shame of course, but it has notable issues where the game wants to do one thing (wants to look like cyberpunk-mech commander, but play like some 2d action game instead etc), but the design isn't right for that. Lacks BB's feeling of overcoming difficulty, too.

And yeah, BB's pricing is too much probably. Doesn't help that the game doesn't seem like much when streamed either.

Both BB and Brigador share some similar issues with end-game content or a longer-term hook too.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Yeah but didn't AoD sell about these numbers? They jumped to full time near release too. About the same team size ; ultimately only 3 guys, the rest are contractual I would guess.

They did mention that they're going to do a dlc OR move on to a new game, so the whole thing was a success either way. With AoD the question was simply if VD was able to keep going at all, at first...

The thing is, we all know it'd be a shame if they didn't work more on BB, that game has just too much potential. It screams of possible additions : modding, new unit types, more weapons, new types of campaigns, playing as bandits, controlling villages and forts, etc etc. It could run a crazy Paradox jew scheme with 10000 dlcs, I'd buy all of them.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist

These guys are in Germany man, they quit their full time jobs to develop BBros based on the EA sales. You think 1 month after leaving EA and getting 1/6th the EA sales has them dancing? That's about ~$20k USD (post EA sales) with the steam vig taken, not to mention euro-tax weirdness. for a team of people. working full time on a game.

They quit their jobs for this? Uh-oh.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Yeah but didn't AoD sell about these numbers? They jumped to full time near release too. About the same team size ; ultimately only 3 guys, the rest are contractual I would guess.

They did mention that they're going to do a dlc OR move on to a new game, so the whole thing was a success either way. With AoD the question was simply if VD was able to keep going at all, at first...

The thing is, we all know it'd be a shame if they didn't work more on BB, that game has just too much potential. It screams of possible additions : modding, new unit types, more weapons, new types of campaigns, playing as bandits, controlling villages and forts, etc etc. It could run a crazy Paradox jew scheme with 10000 dlcs, I'd buy all of them.

They don't seem like the most efficient developers in terms of time spent vs. features done (esp. when it comes to coding heavy stuff)... I hope they do what you say, but I doubt it atm.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
So no modding and probably game end here. No new content and you can not even tweak it.
Sadly but it was expected.
No mods and no waifus - what they expect?
Well at last Starsector get update.

Murk

Arcane
Completed noble war with a party of 7 (was 8 in last privateering mission, but one of level 5 scrubs took a crossbow bolt to the face... luckily it wasn't the good one with melee bonuses.)

I think I'm going to try some duelist/nimble builds on the next group, but a bit burned out so I'll wait a few days before starting it up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom