Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

DeepOcean

Arcane
I trust Gallop and I'm thinking on pledging but the idea that the release date for this is 3 years or so on the future cause alot of :negative:.
Wait, where did you get that 3 years thing?
From my experience, after developers making way too optimistic projections of release dates on kickstarters, I just assume all games on kickstarter/fig will suffer delays and based on the time both XCOM and XCOM 2 took to make, 3 years seems like a realistic bet. Of course, if you include the obligatory enhanced edition, it can take longer for the game to be complete.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Does the "Fig is evil" crowd realize that by not contributing to Fig campaigns, they're only ensuring that the developers that use it are even more in thrall to the supposedly shady investment scheme? It's retardedly self-destructive.

Ever dollar you give as a regular backer is a dollar that doesn't have to be paid back to investors down the line, making the service more like Kickstarter.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Problem with Fig is that it is still sort of untested prospect.
As far as I know there are no games out yet that were figstarted and no one yet knows what happens when a figstarted project fails during development.
Latter is probably the more important point.

Those investors might cause real grief for the whole service, unless legalese is good enough.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Does the "Fig is evil" crowd realize that by not contributing to Fig campaigns, they're only ensuring that the developers that use it are even more in thrall to the supposedly shady investment scheme? It's retardedly self-destructive.

Ever dollar you give as a regular backer is a dollar that doesn't have to be paid back to investors down the line, making the service more like Kickstarter.
Right, an endorsement by Infi.

Codex fundraiser when?

Achilles

Arcane
Eh, I can live without time units if the rest of the game is quality, which it very much looks like it will be. Julian Gollop has provided me with countless hours of fun through his games over the years, if it wasn't for X-Com I would probably be a dumb popamole bastard today playing akshun games on my Xbox. He inclined my taste in games and for that I will throw my money at Phoenix Point as soon as the page goes live.

Iri

Educated
Julian Gollop is the only trustworthy 90's game designer left. MAYBE Chris Roberts can pull off Star Citizen but who else is there? No one.

Whatever the hell Julian Gollop ends up doing with this game it will be the best he could with the tools and resources at hand. Chaos Reborn is solid- the mechanics and premise deliver just the right amount of cool (considering he just jumped back into the fray with a middling Kickstarter that never got the recognition it deserved for being a product of the designer of fekking XCOM) and CR is the kind of game that has longevity. I come back to it every few months- more than I can say about most multiplayer games I got on Steam Sales.

I doubted that he could put a clever spin on the XCOM formula but this Stephen King "Mist" angle is pretty hella awesome. Kudos! I am actually excited about a new game after swearing it off (Torment. Shoulda waited for the patches...)

This guy is like the gaming world equivalent of a nerdy, strait-laced wargaming uncle laughing at the thought of playing Axis and Allies. It is funny how much love the Codex gives to Cleve (who is crazy and has yet to release his "game") while Julian Gollop (who is actually a genius that made the one game everyone can agree on - XCOM) has never broken the front page. Or gotten pinned to the top. Interview him, for chrissakes! Give him some press! Hell, I would do it if the Codex don't have the resources- he just deserves it, dammit!

We should freeze his brain when he dies and prioritize shoving his brain in a mech over Walt Disney any day of the week.

Last edited:

Iri

Educated
Back in the day, XCOM was XCOM. Not terror from the deep and no hyphen was necessary. We had to climb through DOS uphill both ways and sound was for rich folk.

I'm talkin B: drives, man!

Mazisky

Magister
TUs are simply better than APs.

That's why Gollop is adding depth to all aspects of the game, but still keep the action points, he must be retarded aswell.

No, he's doing it to ape nuXCOM obviously. It's something the audience is already familiar with in the other two games. It doesn't make APs automatically better than TUs.

So, for the same reason, should he include the pod system, you know, to ape nuxcom and such? Naa.
Basically he's doing a lot of systems different from nuxcom, showing already that he doesn't want to praise casuals or nuxcom fans and he wanna keep his game vision and design, but...still keeping action points.
I only see action points being better than time units as the only reason he decided to keep those at this point

rezaf

Cipher
Julian Gollop (who is actually a genius that made the one game everyone can agree on - XCOM) has never broken the front page. Or gotten pinned to the top. Interview him, for chrissakes! Give him some press! Hell, I would do it if the Codex don't have the resources- he just deserves it.

The issue with Julian is he took his sweet darn time. Over the course of almost two decades, two times he surfaced with an announcememt that he was to make a new game based on his previous work.
Both times it was 100% clear which property everyone wanted him to revisit. Both times he disappointed, first by revisiting Rebelstar, then by remaking Chaos. Now, I'm sure both of these games have their fans, but there was this other game...

Anyway, the material looks great, not too excited about all the NuXcom copying, but we'll see how it turns out in the end...

Iri

Educated
Julian definitely took his time to get here. But don't forget he "disappointed" by not creating a successor for X-COM while working with other companies. He has good reason to not trust anyone with an IP. Now he is got his own thing. He is reviving X-COM. If any one has put the work in to earn a ride on the "reviving a classic" hypetrain, it's our boy Julian Gollop.

I expect the codex crticism (even though nuxcom is just streamlined xcom- he has a right to chase their sales). I'm just like "why the Codex don't give props?" I mean how many times am I gonna have to gloss over pointless MCA or Cleve article/interview looking for cool new game news? Phoenix Point is a cool new game actually being made by a dependable, legendary developer.

Supwidat

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I rather just wait and see instead of giving props because he has legendary developer status. I have learned that this is not a guarantee for success.

Meh, Chaos Reborn been shit. I mean seriously - tactical game with such amount of randomness - wtf he is been smoking? Such randomness is fine then you have 100+ units in some RTS title - but TBS with several units? I hope he don't put such weird mechanics into XCOM.

sser

Arcane
Developer
nterview him, for chrissakes! Give him some press! Hell, I would do it if the Codex don't have the resources- he just deserves it, dammit!

I did. The idea kinda dried up as there was not much in it that wasn't already known. I'll shoot him another email.

Aimed Shot this time.

pushes up glasses

Dreed

Bremsstrahlunged
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Pledged 40 bucks, I have faith in Gollop :obviously:

The early access/beta is supposed to happen in October 2017.
What is lowest price to get the game? There is no early bird tier?

You can pledge now if you already bought something from Fig at $20 for the lowest price, once the campaign starts for everyone (I don't know when) there will be an early bird at $25 (2000 copies), and then the price will be $30.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko :
C88KY2g.png

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tiers:

$20
DIGITAL DOWNLOAD EDITION (BACKSTAGE PASS EXCLUSIVE)
308 BACKERS
Digital download copy of Phoenix Point, at a rate exclusive to Backstage Pass holders.
REWARDS
  • Desktop wallpapers
  • Phoenix Point game digital download
  • Chaos Reborn Steam key
Estimated Delivery: Q4 2018

REWARD!
$40
LUXURY DIGITAL EDITION (BACKSTAGE PASS EXCLUSIVE)
175 BACKERS
The full Luxury Digital Edition of Phoenix Point, at a rate exclusive to Backstage Pass holders.
REWARDS
  • Desktop wallpapers
  • Chaos Reborn Steam key
  • Early Access
  • Digital soundtrack
  • Digital Game Manual
  • Digital art book, with names of all credited backers
  • Your name in the credits as a bronze level backer
  • Alien chitin armor set - digital in-game items
  • Alien 'living' gun set - digital in-game items

REWARD!
$95
+ SHIPPING
EARLY BIRD COLLECTORS EDITION
59 BACKERS
Limited! 59 of 1,000 claimed.
Early bird chance to get the high-quality and exclusive collector's edition box for Phoenix Point, containing manual, art book and key ring.
REWARDS
  • Desktop wallpapers
  • Chaos Reborn Steam key
  • Early Access
  • Digital soundtrack
  • Digital Game Manual
  • Your name in the credits as a silver level backer
  • Collectors edition box with manual, art book and key ring
Ships to: Anywhere in the World

REWARD!
$250
+ SHIPPING
SIGNED COLLECTORS EDITION
13 BACKERS
Limited! 13 of 500 claimed.
Exclusive collector's edition box, signed by key members of the team, for the collector who wants to own a piece of history - plus T-shirt and poster.
REWARDS
  • Desktop wallpapers
  • Chaos Reborn Steam key
  • Early Access
  • Digital soundtrack
  • Digital Game Manual
  • Phoenix Point T-shirt
  • Phoenix Point large poster
  • Your name in the credits as a gold level backer
  • Signed collectors edition with manual, art book and key ring

REWARD!
$1,500
+ SHIPPING
IMMORTALIZATION EDITION
0 BACKERS
Limited! 0 of 25 claimed.
Work with our team to create a haven leader (one of the key NPCs in the game). You can model him/her after yourself, or create something original.
REWARDS
  • Desktop wallpapers
  • Chaos Reborn Steam key
  • Early Access
  • Digital soundtrack
  • Digital Game Manual
  • Phoenix Point T-shirt
  • Limited edition alien figurine
  • Name and design a haven leader

REWARDS TO BE UNLOCKED AT CAMPAIGN LAUNCH
REWARD!
$10
SUPPORTER
0 BACKERS
Show your support for Phoenix Point - and get a copy of 'Chaos Reborn' plus Phoenix Point desktop wallpapers.
REWARDS
  • Desktop wallpapers
  • Chaos Reborn Steam key
Estimated Delivery: Q2 2017

REWARD!
$25
EARLY BIRD DIGITAL EDITION
0 BACKERS
Limited! 0 of 2,000 claimed.
Digital downloadable edition of Phoenix Point.
REWARDS
  • Desktop wallpapers
  • Chaos Reborn Steam key

REWARD!
$30
DIGITAL DOWNLOAD EDITION
0 BACKERS
Digital downloadable edition of Phoenix Point.
REWARDS
  • Desktop wallpapers
  • Chaos Reborn Steam key

REWARD!
$40
DIGITAL EXTRAS EDITION
0 BACKERS
Digital edition of the game plus soundtrack, art book, your name in the credits and early access to game play from Q1 2018.
REWARDS
  • Desktop wallpapers
  • Chaos Reborn Steam key
  • Early Access
  • Digital soundtrack
  • Digital Game Manual

REWARD!
$50
LUXURY DIGITAL EDITION
0 BACKERS
Exclusive in-game content for Fig backers - customizable armor built from alien body parts and alien 'living' guns. Make your soldiers stand out from the crowd.
REWARDS
  • Desktop wallpapers
  • Chaos Reborn Steam key
  • Early Access
  • Digital soundtrack
  • Digital Game Manual

REWARD!
$105
+ SHIPPING
COLLECTORS EDITION
0 BACKERS
High-quality and exclusive collector's edition box for Phoenix Point, with manual, art book and key ring. Includes all previous digital rewards.
REWARDS
  • Desktop wallpapers
  • Chaos Reborn Steam key
  • Early Access
  • Digital soundtrack
  • Digital Game Manual
  • Your name in the credits as a silver level backer
  • Collectors edition box with manual, art book and key ring

REWARD!
$500
+ SHIPPING
FIGURINE EDITION
0 BACKERS
Limited! 0 of 250 claimed.
A limited edition high quality alien figurine, exclusive to Fig backers, plus previous rewards.
REWARDS
  • Desktop wallpapers
  • Chaos Reborn Steam key
  • Early Access
  • Digital soundtrack
  • Digital Game Manual
  • Phoenix Point T-shirt
  • Limited edition alien figurine

ArchAngel

Arcane
Pledged 40 bucks, I have faith in Gollop :obviously:

The early access/beta is supposed to happen in October 2017.
What is lowest price to get the game? There is no early bird tier?

You can pledge now if you already bought something from Fig at $20 for the lowest price, once the campaign starts for everyone (I don't know when) there will be an early bird at $25 (2000 copies), and then the price will be $30.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko :
C88KY2g.png
Hmm I suppoted a game on Fig but I didn't get access to Phoenix Point :( (Consortium game for 15$.. I guess I am not 1337 enough for Fig)
Anyone got a link?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Yes, you need to have added the First Look Club free addon to one of your pledges. I added it purely out of completism, without even knowing what it was.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom