Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
customizable mutant limbs makes me want to play the bad guy instead!
Disciples of Anu might give access to such things.
The Disciples of Anu worship an alien god and are ruled by an enigmatic high priest. Their communion ritual involves subjugating followers to alien mutation.

Factions will probably open different tech trees. Disciples give mutations/biotech, New Jericho things that go booom and last one is probably the choice that gives outright magic.

manassassas

Novice
Oh man those pictures (thank you Infinitron) look great. The bad guys have a bit of a John Carpenter's version of The Thing look.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I trust Gallop and I'm thinking on pledging but the idea that the release date for this is 3 years or so on the future cause alot of :negative:.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Phoenix Point Survey Results

Thanks to all of you who took part in our survey. Now I want to share the results with you and discuss some of the interesting points.
10dbfd11-7e74-4227-8257-7628a88192ac.png

Good AI tops the poll, and this is slightly, but pleasantly, surprising. For me it is always important, but I also want enemies to have distinct behavioural traits and a bit of unpredictability (i.e. randomness) thrown in.

A large variety of mission objectives comes second, and this is understandable. This is one of the key mechanisms which can make missions interesting over the long stretch of a campaign. I also want missions to have a meaningful context in the wider, strategic level of the game - and I want them to have their own unique stories. It’s a tall order, but clearly a high priority.

Fully destructible environments rank 3 in importance. It’s great to know that people still want to blow stuff to bits. I was a little disappointed that in XCOM 2 I could barely raze one building to the ground with a squad of grenadiers. I want to see structures toppled crushing monsters beneath them. I want enemy cover obliterated. I want mass destruction to be a possible strategy - at least in some situations. Bring it on.

At number 4 the mutation system for the aliens is a key new and unique feature, so I am pleased that this is rated so highly. But, as they say, the devil is in the details. We have a basic system working already and it is already proving interesting. However, we found that it is important to convey visually in some way all the key abilities that an alien may have, and to let the player get used to a certain type before mutation occurs. You will be able to name the alien mutant variants yourself, by the way, which can help with your battle field assessments e.g. the next time you come across ‘vomiting b*****d’ you know not to get too close to it.

Multi-level terrain at number 5 is a mild surprise, especially given the difficulty of navigating a more vertically complex map. We will have to strike a balance between interesting topology and usability here. Good level design is key.

For the 6th most important feature It’s great to see value attached to interesting story elements and plot twists - and you can be assured that with the extensive world building we have been doing with our writing team (Jonas and Allen) you will not be disappointed on this score.

It’s nice to see base defence missions ranked high at number 9. I missed this with the new XCOMs. In Phoenix Point your bases can be attacked by other human factions, not just aliens. Furthermore, the aliens will steal technology from you and other human factions. This should spice things up a bit.

Pleasantly surprising for me was the desire to have a more detailed economic system. Phoenix Point has some distinct 4X like elements to the strategic side of the game. The human factions gather resources, build structures, establish new havens, build tech and enter into alliances. From the player’s point of view, exploration, resources and diplomacy are important. I am very excited by developments in this part of the game.

The bottom end of the table reveals that you clearly want the focus to be on a PC based, single player experience. It would definitely be wise of us to place our limited resources in this direction.

Finally, thanks for your support - and look out for some major news very soon.

Julian Gollop
Other news
We have started a fiction series based on the world of Phoenix Point. Check out our website here:
http://www.phoenixpoint.info/stories/

Follow discussion of the game in our subreddit here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/PhoenixPoint/

Israfael

Arcane
So, the bottom is like:
1) console shit
2) 'like modern X-com'

It seems there are quite some :obviously: left on this Earth. Although TU ending quite close to the bottom of the list shows that many people don't get that X-Com was a simulation game first, and everything else later.

lightbane

Arcane
Awesome-sauce pics. It looks like a cross between Apocalypse, Terror from the Depth and The Thing.

https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fcampaign_images%2Fimages%2F60a5f9a8f5618cb62fdb0df80d2e7ab124612ed4%2Foriginal.jpg%3F1491578005

Hey McCloud, I think you weren't really thinking this through when you took cover behind an explosive canister.

Mustawd

Time units were so much better. Not even sure why ppl like APs. It's really not a difficult concept at all.

You have X amount of units to move and shoot. Up to you how to use them. How is this hard again?

Mazisky

Magister
Time units were so much better. Not even sure why ppl like APs. It's really not a difficult concept at all.

You have X amount of units to move and shoot. Up to you how to use them. How is this hard again?

It his not hard, it' just a redundant feature, same as navigating through 3 menus to get the same screen you can get with a single icon on the ui: feels clunky and old, just like the people who still praise that mechanic

Mustawd

It his not hard, it' just a redundant feature, same as navigating through 3 menus to get the same screen you can get with a single icon on the ui: feels clunky and old, just like the people who still praise that mechanic

How does it feel clunky and old? It gives you a lot more control over each squad member in a way you can't replicate with APs. APs are not better than TUs. They're just "streamlined" because people are apparently retarded.

What you are describing above is if TUs were the exact same as APs, but in a more archaic format. They're not. TUs are simply better than APs.

Freddie

Savant
This looks very interesting. I wouldn't be dissappointed if strategic layer turned out to be way much more interesting than nu XCOM 1-2.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Goddamn maybe I should make that fig account after all.
Yep. The whole Fig thing seemed fishy to me from the beginning, but Gollop already showed he can deliver a kickass game, even on crowdfunded terms.

So I'll take the plunge as well.

Israfael

Arcane
, it' just a redundant feature
Time units are the granularity part of a simulation, it's actually the most important part that separates a game with arbitary rules from an actual attempt to represent some real-world-derived or completely imaginary system

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
JGollop said:
The bottom end of the table reveals that you clearly want the focus to be on a PC based, single player experience. It would definitely be wise of us to place our limited resources in this direction.
:incline: of the survey as well as JG, who seems not suprised. Fuck coop, fuck consoles eating dev funds and definitely fuck MP in mah TB strategy games!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom