Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

inXile General Discussion Thread

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

:deathclaw:

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Will he be instructed to create a Codex account and post here?

Something tells me he might ask for a raise for that. He doesn't seen like the type that finds it comfortable hoofing around these slums.

Who knows, though.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
What's an acceptable play time for a review, positive or negative. I assume for a positive one you don't need to play the game. But last I heard if you didn't play a game 7 times (to see all the amazing reactivity) you can't say it's shit.

P.S. :butthurt:

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
How is hiring a PR manager an incline?
Um, because everyone has been complaining for the last 4 years about how weak their communication has been? Am I missing something?

What is the problem? They don’t interact with their fans. Their solution? To hire a drone to answer questions on forums. It doesn’t change anything.

They can communicate in fucking predator language if they make good games. If their games suck (and they do), what do I care about communicating with another rotting corpse of a studio.

I think the general complaint was a sort of an after thought.

This is like saying the owner of a restaurant can yell and spit on you if the food is good. It’s not just the game that matters, it's also the way they treat their audience, their promises, etc.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Colin McCuck said:
Writers are the “most important part of any team”

Darth Roxor, do you have any thoughts on this matter?

szzANHn.gif

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
What's an acceptable play time for a review, positive or negative.

There's obviously no such number, but you can (for the fuck of it) question the motives for why exactly does someone not put a game he considers bad away earlier and call it for what it is through a "review", but does indeed go throgh a 100 hour slog of shit; and of course vice versa, why would someone 10/10 a game he has barely touched and which has obvious flaws and dents and shit stains all over the place.

Sizzle

Arcane
Going by Colin's answers in the Codex interview, it seems to me that he believes that the majority of the fans consider the game to be good.

So hiring a guy who's primary job would be to interact with the other group of fans - those who have serious issues with their games - could potentially help them get out of that echo-chamber mindset and actually improve those games for the better.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

There's obviously no such number, but you can (for the fuck of it) question the motives for why exactly does someone not put a game he considers bad away earlier and call it for what it is through a "review", but does indeed go throgh a 100 hour slog of shit; and of course vice versa, why would someone 10/10 a game he has barely touched and which has obvious flaws and dents and shit stains all over the place.

I think it was Feargus who once told a story that he had an email from a very angry KOTOR 2 buyer. The email went like sort of like this "I beat your stupid game 5 times and it was the worst piece of garbage I have seen in my entire life".

Sizzle

Arcane

I think it was Feargus who once told a story that he had an email from a very angry KOTOR 2 buyer. The email went like sort of like this "I beat your stupid game 5 times and it was the worst piece of garbage I have seen in my entire life".

Skyway? :lol:

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
So hiring a guy who's primary job would be to interact with the other group of fans - those who have serious issues with their games - could potentially help them get out of that echo-chamber mindset and actually improve those games for the better.

Hiring a random community manager to do PR talk and pretend to care about feedback doesn't change the arrogant culture of the place.

Sizzle

Arcane

Hiring a random community manager to do PR talk and pretend to care about feedback doesn't change the arrogant culture of the place.

You can afford to be arrogant towards your fans when you're Blizzard or Bethesda. You can't afford to be one when you're a middle-sized developer who's just had a big flop like T:ToN.

Now, I'm not saying this will necessarily turn out good - just that having a person interacting with fans outside their forum could help them more efficiently pinpoint the flaws of their games, which is something they are obviously struggling with.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
This is like saying the owner of a restaurant can yell and spit on you if the food is good. It’s not just the game that matters, it's also the way they treat their audience, their promises, etc.
Naaah, not really.

I can play a game and never even find out what the PR manager says unless I actively seek this information out. Your example doesn't fit.

Also maybe I'm just a pessimist, but I never take any "promises" they make seriously. Game development is riddled with surprises and unexpected difficulties. It's kind of fun to poke at devs for failed promises and see their pathetic excuses, but that's about it.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
OK, worst case scenario people ... if inXile has no intention of changing anything they do or listening to the fans, why did they hire a full time community interaction person in the first place? To keep a lid on the 10 people who complained about the Techland Torment Collectors' Edition?

Rev

Arcane
OK, worst case scenario people ... if inXile has no intention of changing anything they do or listening to the fans, why did they hire a full time community interaction person in the first place? To keep a lid on the 10 people who complained about the Techland Torment Collectors' Edition?
Maybe because their communication efforts with backers and fans were awful and contributed in no small part to T:ToN being a huge flop?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Maybe because their communication efforts with backers and fans were awful and contributed in no small part to T:ToN being a huge flop?
So they want to make communication with the fans better? How cruel and mercenary of them. I'll get my pitchfork.

Rev

Arcane
Don't be that passive-aggressive, Zombra. It's okay, it's just a game company, not your family.
Also, I never said it's a cruel move, just that they're hiring a PR manager to avoid shooting themselves in the foot like they did with T:ToN, which has nothing to do with making their games better, more "hardcore" or whatever.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Don't be that passive-aggressive, Zombra. It's okay, it's just a game company, not your family.
Also, I never said it's a cruel move, just that they're hiring a PR manager to avoid shooting themselves in the foot like they did with T:ToN, which has nothing to do with making their games better, more "hardcore" or whatever.

I don't know man, if you read the Codex interview you'll see they're genuinely confused on why T:TON hasn't been a success. Communication needs to flow both ways, and that was the real problem. Community manager doesn't just put down fires and spew PR bullshit, he also reports to the management if the fans are in uproar about something.

Sizzle

Arcane

I don't know man, if you read the Codex interview you'll see they're genuinely confused on why T:TON hasn't been a success. Communication needs to flow both ways, and that was the real problem. Community manager doesn't just put down fires and spew PR bullshit, he also reports to the management if the fans are in uproar about something.

Exactly. They're constantly repeating the number of words in T:ToN like it's a guarantee of success, which only indicates that they didn't really get why PS:T was good. Yeah, it had lots of words, but those words weren't written simply to justify some arbitrary bloated word count.

More communication with the fans, and paying attention to their likes and dislikes can only, if inXile hasn't been entirely devoid of any business acumen, result in a good thing for both.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom