Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Pillars of Eternity II Fig Update #30: Creating Environments

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

This week's Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Fig update offers a behind-the-scenes look at Obsidian's environment creation pipeline, using the map of the Vailian Trading Company headquarters as an example. It's the kind of update we've seen many times before in previous crowdfunding campaigns, but it has been a slow news day and there's a part of it that's kind of amusing. Carpets are the new cobblestones (click to zoom in):

The first pass render of scenes is sent to our Art Director and Lead Designer for review. They look over the master beauty render and make notes for both VFX and the environment artist to address in the second art pass.

When notes are finished, the environment artist begins work on a second pass of the scene.

Deadfire is now in the final week of its extended crowdfunding period, with $4.66M of funding. Still nearly $90,000 from the next stretch goal. Maybe they could add it anyway?

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
"Remove them chairs we need more balance!" -JES

Balanced carpets, balanced draperies and balanced floor symbols. Balance in every room.

:littlemissfun:

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Those notes were written by Bobby Null (lead designer) and Rob Nesler (art director), not Josh. +M

The two Bobs, heh.

twobobs.jpg

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
That is one huge-ass toilet...

Do the VTC employ Americans who need to be driven into the bathroom with a truck?

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
That is one huge-ass toilet...

Do the VTC employ Americans who need to be driven into the bathroom with a truck?

What if there is a huge twist that VTC actually stands for Vailian Toilet Company and they have a secret agenda to sell the poo-dwelling Rauatai indoor plumbing?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Pretty environments are fine, its just the maps were pathetically small in the first game.

After decades of RPG experience having just 3 or 4 points of interest on an area map is amateurish and shameful.

But I guess cute bowls of fruit on a table, or window lightning, or customizing the color of ship sails, makes you forget about everything else that's important - like shitty core systems, weak world-building or forgettable writing
laugh2.gif

I love the approach of these hipster developers! At this rate RPG will turn into The Sims!

Weasel
But I guess cute bowls of fruit on a table, or window lightning, or customizing the color of ship sails, makes you forget about everything else that's important - like shitty core systems, weak world-building or forgettable writing
laugh2.gif

Contamination alarms are going off on my shitposting terminal, must be a Watch url somewhere...

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Pretty environments are fine, its just the maps were pathetically small in the first game.

After decades of RPG experience having just 3 or 4 points of interest on an area map is amateurish and shameful.

laugh2.gif

Play White March 1 and 2.

Shilandra

Learned

laugh2.gif

Is white march mostly fighting?

Also where is this extended crowdfunding thing happening?

Sizzle

Arcane

Yes. There is a bit of story too though. I liked it, it's unpretentious and straightforward, and fits the fighting well. Also Zahua is a hoot.

TWM2 also has an area (The Monastery) that harkens back to Raedric's Hold, one of the best-designed areas of the base game. You can enter the Monastery guns arquebuses blazing and fight a whole bunch of tough high-level monks, or carefully bluff your way inside (maybe you can also infiltrate it by sneaking? Haven't tried that approach), and you'll only have a small number of combat encounters along the way.

As for the story, it takes the god conundrum of the base game and strips it of all pretentiousness to deliver a very fun and satisfying D&D-like little romp.

Prime Junta

ITT we learn that trying too hard is the bane of game writing.

Or, put another way, don't try to be Chris Avellone unless you actually are Chris Avellone.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

laugh2.gif

Same bullshit, different package

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

Yes. There is a bit of story too though. I liked it, it's unpretentious and straightforward, and fits the fighting well. Also Zahua is a hoot.

TWM2 also has an area (The Monastery) that harkens back to Raedric's Hold, one of the best-designed areas of the base game.

There is hardly anything special about Raedric's Hold. Its just a big, mega-boring fortress of blandness where you fight the same trash-mobs (which don't grant exp) over and over until you get brain cancer.

But I guess compared to the rest of the game, it takes the cake because its actually DESIGNED

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom