Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

inXile General Discussion Thread

almondblight

Arcane
We'll never know if it was really Saunders' fault. They say it, but they're full of shit.

Full production didn't start until at least 1.5 years after the KS campaign, because of WL 2 delays. Probably more, depending on how many resources the WL 2 DC was still pulling (and we know Torment wasn't fully staffed even months after the first WL 2 release). Though I wouldn't be surprised if Fargo told Saunders "We need to keep the same schedule, just replace a large chunk of the production time with even more pre-production time. It's the same thing."

Last edited:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Their retopo is too lazy and too hi poly for the model quality. Disgusting. 14k points for this shit??

Look at this shit:

6e77e09a1c1400f1191b3e4a6eb4ce0c.png
7bedaffbe5c6e967dc4e877e43fd3ff5.png

It's the same polycount as this:

05c01692438cf93a2a390c409c2b78f8.png
46a8393b8c9b288d5f7b2fefa36194a2.png

No wonder their fps sucked.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
For some reason the body of that woman is triangulated. I wonder if they sell it like that. If they do, then no wonder about the polycount. Plus the soldier guy most likely doesn't have the body modeled under the clothing.
But still, the W2 has way to many polys, especially for something that looked like crap on any zoom level.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
For some reason the body of that woman is triangulated. I wonder if they sell it like that. If they do, then no wonder about the polycount.
It doesn't affect the polycount. All quads will be sliced into tris by any engine. What matters is the number of vertices or tris.

With their model quality, they should've gone for this kind of polycount, which is ~2-3 times less points than what they have, and still looks a ton better.

59e7bc8ee7bb00f74914d39368018b13.png

FeelTheRads

Arcane
It doesn't affect the polycount.

It does if you count each triangle as a polygon. You can't compare the number of polys between a triangulated model and a quad one unless you triangulate the later too. If it's just points you mean, then sure.

All quads will be sliced into tris by any engine.

Which is why I was wondering why it shows up triangulated already.

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Cautiously optimistic: :incline: ?
How is hiring a PR manager an incline? Will hiring a really cool security guard also be incline soon?

You're going to get better lies. BN was a pretty shitty liar. People like to be lied nicely.

Edit: Nah, I assume the hope is that through him they'll get to know what the "community" wants. But, if that community is their own forum which is full of asslickers and popamolers... well...

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
How is hiring a PR manager an incline?
Um, because everyone has been complaining for the last 4 years about how weak their communication has been? Am I missing something?
They can communicate in fucking predator language if they make good games. If their games suck (and they do), what do I care about communicating with another rotting corpse of a studio.

I think the general complaint was a sort of an after thought.

agris

Arcane
Patron
and here I was about to post how a good PR person will do legwork to answer community questions and not just be a corporate Baghdad Bob.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
George Ziets really does like Undertale: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/..._fights_that_every_developer_should_study.php

Undertale's imaginative, character-laden, story-developing boss fights
Undertale.jpg

Torment: Tides of Numenera lead area designer George Ziets points to indie RPG Undertale as his favorite example of great boss fight design. He believes that combat (along with every other part of a game) is an opportunity to reveal story and to offer the player options that would change outcomes with characters. Ziets says that Undertale does this especially well. "The game was great at creating layered characters with hidden motivations beneath their (often humorous) outward behavior, and the deeper characterization was almost always revealed during the combat sequences," he explains.

More mechanically speaking, its boss fights are puzzles, always with more than one solution, and usually incorporating dialogue, items, and the opportunity to show enemies mercy. "It is up to the player to discover how best to resolve them," he explains. "And the most obvious approach of killing your enemies is never the ideal result."

Ziets suggests that nearly every Undertale boss fight is worthy of study, for the imaginative variation in mechanics and use of humor to make bosses more sympathetic characters. But he picked a few examples to highlight: in one battle, against the Royal Guards, selecting the "clean armor" option reveals unrequited romantic feelings between them and unlocks a non-violent, happy ending to the fight; the "So Sorry" encounter, by contrast, disguised character interactions in the form of fights. Other battles revealed character and personality. "In the encounters with Metaton and Alphys," says Ziets, "the player could learn about Alphys' crush on Undyne and her tender feelings toward her robotic creation, Metaton, despite his dangerous behavior."

Takeaway: Boss fights present conflict between characters, and that conflict need not necessarily be violent if it's about developing relationships or empathy or furthering a story beat.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
All the "bigger" names at InXile seem to be storytellers and narrative comes around at every turn... Is there anyone more notable for gameplay and systems design (I don't quite count Keenan as "notable")?

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Cautiously optimistic: :incline: ?
How is hiring a PR manager an incline? Will hiring a really cool security guard also be incline soon?

You're going to get better lies. BN was a pretty shitty liar. People like to be lied nicely.

Edit: Nah, I assume the hope is that through him they'll get to know what the "community" wants. But, if that community is their own forum which is full of asslickers and popamolers... well...

It's not 2012, mate. Even on the official forums a lot of people are tired of their shit. Even those who actually like the games. Because it's bigger than just games being disappointing, the entire attitude of this company is off and has been for a while now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom