Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Quake Champions - multiplayer hero shooter from id Software

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
8 gig update just for this
fjmyuj.png

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Galena's hitboxes are totally fucked right now and you cant reliably use the nailgun to plasma climb from my experience because the netcode is dodgy with hit registration. Crouchsliding with Slash is great though and almost makes me wish I'd played Quake 4 online.

thesoup

Arcane
You have crouchsliding in ut4.

Anyway, as for my experiences in quack chumps.
Gfx and aesthetics are nice I guess and the way they made enemies recognizable without brightskins is alright, tho I would still prefer brightskins. Because in some cases, like on campgrounds when you're on that rox bridge and shootind someone down by the armor i can't aim for shit because of the light colors behind my opponent and I can neither see him well nor my crosshair. This is really, really bothersome.
Game runs as I'd expect on my rig, at 50-80 fps, depending on a bunch of stuff. It's far from ideal and I can't really track for shit with tracking weapons, partially because of the visuals and partially because of the fps. I hope they introduce more competitive graphics options because this really bothers me and strains my eyes. Rox feels weird, a bit delayed with shots, like 0.3 sec or something.

People complained about sound and I can't say it bothered me or that I gave a shit.
Champions are, ofc, stupid, so I just play Ranger which is the closest to classic mode you can get right now. I tried Anarki a bit which is basically cpma mode and it was alright, but if I'm gonna play after full release, I'll definitely play ONLY classic mode and I don't wanna get used to weird movements and class abilities and shit.

It's too early to tell if the game will be any good because most features are still locked and some stuff is still being balanced. If it will have classic mode, CA and duel, I can see myself playing it semi or maybe fully enthusiast mode. Of course, I still demand a bit more competitive friendly visuals and a ton of options because quake live's options were fantastic.

There's aslo skins and leveling and loot boxes which I don't give a shit about.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
I've been playing it with a few people and enjoying it despite the problems I've already listed but at the end of the day what matters is how they carry the game forwards. If they start going full jew on microtransactions or don't listen to complaints like the RL delay then I won't buy it. Also crank down lightning and some of the fancy effects for better visibility and if you haven't found out yet multiplying your QL sensitivity by 0.2 should give you the same sensitivity for QC. Some sort of "competitive" playlist with brightskins would be ideal and should be easy for them to do seeing as how characters already have something that looks near identical to Q3's brightskins. The game became a lot more enjoyable for me as soon as I started playing slash with the full control crouchslide you can use to pick up speed all the time so I'd recommend you spend some of those ingame shekels on her to try at least once. Just bind crouch to RMB unless you're one of those weirdos that jumps with that key.

ShadowSpectre

Arbiter
I got a key from the most recent round. After resolving a bunch of issues to get the game to stop crashing on map load, now I have the dreaded 255 ping issue where you get booted from the game and can't play for more than a couple minutes. The game runs well despite that, for all of the few minutes I can play it. XD By far the worst beta game I have ever played in terms of bugs though. Bethesda forums are also a big shit pile so far for even acknowledging issues.

thesoup

Arcane
RMB is scope and rail does 100 dmg when scoped, btw. Ctrl is my crouch and I honestly don't intend to play non ranger characters. I don't care about MOBA features.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Additionally, we’re also very excited to announce that we’ll be hosting our first ever QuakeCon cosplay contest, with $5,000 in cash prizes for the best cosplay inspired by the games published by Bethesda Softworks.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
RMB is scope and rail does 100 dmg when scoped, btw. Ctrl is my crouch and I honestly don't intend to play non ranger characters. I don't care about MOBA features.
How is air control or crouchsliding a MOBA feature? Both of those have already been in Quake before.

thesoup

Arcane
How is air control or crouchsliding a MOBA feature? Both of those have already been in Quake before.
Having them in specific classes is a moba feature. And most abilities are not something you'll find in older Quake games. In fact, only two are, and IIRC, air control was never part of a main quake game, just quakeworld and cpma, the latter being a mod. But that's besides the point. Either all characters play like this or none, otherwise it's a moba.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
There is still air control in regular quake you know, it's just easier to do in quakeworld. And not considering quakeworld a "main quake game" is dumb when it's just Quake with better netcode for online play and slightly more air control. Also while I don't like the active abilities, I don't agree about the passives that bring different quake mechanics to the table being bad. My ideal version of QC would be something like quake 3 generations arena where it's different id game characters fighting against eachother with all of their different mechanics and weapons.

abija

Prophet
"We're really committed to esports!" -> 50.000$ prize pool spread across 7 games.

thesoup

Arcane
So apparently they have a yet unannounced tourney. This has to be either QC duel or the worst bait & switch ever.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
I don't see duel working very well for QC in its current state. Also what Venser said there's no way they'll have a Quakecon without QL duel.

RoSoDude

Arcane
Surprisingly honest preview from IGN:

I'm still not even sold on the non-Champion aspects of the game, from the cluttered visual details to the awful sound design and some issues with the gameplay itself. But if even IGN is cluing into how pointless and irrelevant the Champion concept is to Quake, you know it's bad. The only thing this could ever have over Quake Live is player count.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I've never thought it possible that I fully agreed with something IGN has said (aside from the things they didn't mention), nor to see some gameplay from IGN where the player doesn't appear to be stoned and clueless. Though some abilities do appear to be interesting, many of them are quite frankly one-sided in terms of providing a gameplay advantage, and the concept of Champions themselves are just inherently incompatible with Quake, but Bethid has to cash in on the latest fads under the guise of 'doing something new'. They're trying to 'balance' slower and bigger characters with more HP and armor, but the increased hitboxes on top of the slower average movement speed makes those characters more likely to get hit as opposed to a fast character like Anarki which is harder to hit due to his higher (potential) speed and smaller hitbox. Trying to balance that with an HP advantage is only going to become more disadvantageous in the long run since you are more likely to get hit in the first place, and the HP differences won't make THAT much of a difference outside of the occasional close call now and then where you survived a double-KO because you happened to pick a tankier character.

I'm convinced Bethesda must've been doing extensive background checks for me to not get any keys after all this time, though.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
If they really want to stick with the champions, the baseline movement speed should be 320 UPS, not the cap. I really like being able to pick between QW/Q3/Q4 style movement but stuff like Nyx's invisibility or Anarki's instant heal is just bullshit. Also the speed cap needs to go.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Clutch and his shield is the definitive anti-fun element in this game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom