Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Truly the New Age of Incline

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
While my laptop is not my "main" gaming PC it does have most of my favorite oldschool games like Darklands, Morrowind & Wizardry 8 for example
But something quite interesting has been happening lately
Looking over my icons I see Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, Age of Decandence, Battle Brothers, Dungeon Rats, Tyranny, Dead State, Undertale, the Legend of Grimrock, Underrail, Serpent of the Staglands, Divinity Original Sin...all games released within the last 3 4 years and it is fucking amazing the sheer number of quality releases we have to choose from nowadays
Other than that increible stretch between 1991 to 1994 I dont recall so much great diverse stuff ti play. They might not be all time greats but most are solid fun games we couldnt have dreamed of having even 5 years ago
For all the talk of decline we are really lucky to have this sort of opportunity guys nd I for one feel really greatful and happy about it

Last edited:

Caleb462

Educated
fanboy.png

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Looking over my icons I see Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, Age of Decandence, Battle Brothers, Dungeon Rats, Tyranny, Dead State, Underrail, the Legend of Grimrock, Underrail, Serpent of the Staglands, Divinity Original Sin...all games released within the last 3 4 years and it is fucking amazing the sheer number of quality releases we have to choose from nowadays

Two of these are not like the others.

Sneaky Seal

Aurum Dust
Developer
Looking over my icons I see Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, Age of Decandence, Battle Brothers, Dungeon Rats, Tyranny, Dead State, Underrail, the Legend of Grimrock, Underrail, Serpent of the Staglands, Divinity Original Sin...
For all the talk of decline we are really lucky to have this sort of opportunity guys nd I for one feel reslly greatful and happy about it

You've listed "Underrail" twice..... Is one of those actually the "Undertale"?!

:mob:

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Looking over my icons I see Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, Age of Decandence, Battle Brothers, Dungeon Rats, Tyranny, Dead State, Underrail, the Legend of Grimrock, Underrail, Serpent of the Staglands, Divinity Original Sin...
For all the talk of decline we are really lucky to have this sort of opportunity guys nd I for one feel reslly greatful and happy about it

You've listed "Underrail" twice..... Is one of those actually the "Undertale"?!

:mob:
Yup fixed
And yeah I enjoyed both Pillars and Tyranny, especially the magic system felt so rewarding
As I wrote maybe none of these games are all time greats (a case could be made for several like Age of Decadence) they all have flaws bit compared to the shit we got for most of the 2000s they are a fucking blessing

Severian Silk

AoD would be a definite "top 5 ever" classic if it had a 4th chapter. I got to the end and was disappointed that we didn't get to see more of Agathoth. There could have been a faction conflict where he leads a contingent of Q'antaari versus the Empire, and you are either his slave or try to defeat him, or lead the Q'antaari if you were able to become a god yourself. Read some exposition, experience what it's like being Agathoth's slave (slave-general, rather), issue some orders yourself, back-stab some people, participate in a big battle, and voila.

Last edited by a moderator:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Looking over my icons I see Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, Age of Decandence, Battle Brothers, Dungeon Rats, Tyranny, Dead State, Underrail, the Legend of Grimrock, Underrail, Serpent of the Staglands, Divinity Original Sin...all games released within the last 3 4 years and it is fucking amazing the sheer number of quality releases we have to choose from nowadays

For me Wasteland 2 stands out even more then Tyranny. PoE is almost pure Incline.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron

For me Wasteland 2 stands out even more then Tyranny. PoE is almost pure Incline.

At least Wasteland 2 was kinda entertaining, as in not making you want to blow your brains out.
PoE is the antithesis of Incline, in fact it's pretty much the definition of Decline. Think about it, they made Tranny after it but in the same vein, and it's even more shit. The actual definition of Decline.

But yeah, I guess we can't complain, AoD/Underrail definitely restored my hope for the future :salute:

Last edited:

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This turned into a PoE thread in the third message. I'm proud of everyone involved! :salute:

As for the topic, I agree to quite a degree; remarkable is though, that a somewhat large share of the incline is coming from/made by really small indie studios - I would even add Caves of Qud and Rimworld to the list of titles.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Well, Tyranny was decline in many aspects, but not all. The spell creation system was kinda creative. Was fun exploring some OP accents and raining destruction on your foes. The prologue and it's consequences, as well as act 1, were quite good also.
Overall I found the game quite fun - much more then I could say about WL2.

It was also developed by an entirely different team, so I'd not expect the negatives to carry over to PoE2.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I too found Tyranny to be great fun, the magic system especially was amazing; it allowed to customize the style to your liking and by far I found the best part of the game
I replayed in twice to check out different outcomes and it was varied enough to warrant it and while the ending does feel rushed the game was entertaining enough for me
As for Pillars and Wasteland 2...as I said before all of the games have flaws but still they are entertaining and fun and I think that if those games had dropped out of the blue like Grimrock without Kickstarter hype and expectations most would have love them just fine; as it is they are both perfectly playable fun game worth the time and money spent on them... expectations can be a hell of a thing I mean just look at that Torment fiasco

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
While my laptop is not my "main" gaming PC it does have most of my favorite oldschool games like Darklands, Morrowind & Wizardry 8 for example
Looking over my icons I see Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, Age of Decandence, Battle Brothers, Dungeon Rats, Tyranny, Dead State, Undertale, the Legend of Grimrock, Underrail, Serpent of the Staglands, Divinity Original Sin...all games released within the last 3 4 years and it is fucking amazing the sheer number of quality releases we have to choose from nowadays
Other than that increible stretch between 1991 to 1994 I dont recall so much great diverse stuff ti play. They might not be all time greats but most are solid fun games we couldnt have dreamed of having even 5 years ago
For all the talk of decline we are really lucky to have this sort of opportunity guys nd I for one feel really greatful and happy about it
most of those games are trash. You are a mediocre person.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck

I agree. But, like in the early 2000s the idiots are destroying this again. They are coming at any real rpgs with guns blazing, and will not stop until only hipster shit is made. Look at the comment threads for WL2 and TToN for example. Stupids are going to be stupid and ruin everything for people who actually like rpgs again.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Roqua doesn't care if it's a good game like Underrail/AoD or banal shit boring turd like Wasteland 2.

He only cares about if it's turn-based or not so he can autistically drone about muh real RPGs while sitting in his cuckshed when Rakim is banging his wife enjoying his swinger relationship.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
the magic system especially was amazing

Amazing for 5 seconds, then you realize you can't actually mix and match. From hype to tripe in about 5 seconds.

Can't mix and match? How come? I'm genuinely curious.
I am intrigued also; I mean by midgame you can have 4 or 5 variations of the same elemental style spell like having a burning hands style touch spell, a ranged fire attack, an area of effect firestorm spell, a splash fireball spell AND a rolling ball of fire spell
Not even including that you can affect the duration, strength, cooldown, additional effects of any of those spells as long as you have the appropriate lore skill...I mean show me a more customizable magic battle system other than the older Elder Scrolls games where you could make your own spells
While discussing the game with a friend of mine we both rolled a battle mage style PC but our combat styles couldn't have been more different; I went for a mixed spell for both direct damage and some crowd control spells while he went all in with 3 or 4 illusion based spells where he would try to disable enemy groups and try to immobilize the most possible number of enemies and leave the brunt of damage dealing to Barik and Verse
Unlike the balance of Pillars Tyranny lets you go hog wild with the magic; wanna have the starter shock spells but upp their damage, lower the cooldown speed, give additional effects to your spell and still have it as a viable option for endgame? You can
The combat honestly felt like a true evolution of the old Infinity engine games, truly a system made for a modern computer game

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Yeah, plus make your shock spells stun or cause bleed or have your fire spells cause combustion and freeze at the same time. Or multiply the projectiles and make them bounce of enemies (multiple aoe effects possible) or randomize the spell elemental type via wild magic.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
It's a lot of specific modifiers for specific spells, lame, not what I was assuming the first 5 seconds.

truly a system made for a modern computer game

As opposed to, let's say, Daggerfall ? Hell, I'll take Morrowwind.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom