Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Playing PS:T for the first time

Naraya

Arcane
Completed the game today.

I planned to write sort of a review from the point of view of someone who played TToN first and only *then* the original, however I don't see the point and it would've probably been bashed to oblivion (sic!) anyway.

So I'll just say that I absolutely love the game and in my opinion it fully deserves the praise it gets as well as the grand prize for being the best RPG of all time. TToN is a distant, blurry shadow of PS:T.

However, I'm confused about something... I thought I did a pretty good job of finding most of quests and secrets but despite playing like 90% of the game with non-full party, my companion levels were from 10 to 15. My TNO (pure mage) finished the game at level 16 - I wasn't able to cast the last 2 levels of spells, IIRC. I was shocked to find that people tend to finish at level 30 or even 60 (!!!) and have all stats maximized. How is it possible? Was my game broken somehow? For the record - I was playing a modded PS:T according to the guide posted on GOG forums and I wasn't powergaming/grinding (e.g.: I barely visited UnderSigil).

This is my endgame TNO:
Bk1Ypt2.jpg

Gunnar

Arbiter
However, I'm confused about something... I thought I did a pretty good job of finding most of quests and secrets but despite playing like 90% of the game with non-full party, my companion levels were from 10 to 15. My TNO (pure mage) finished the game at level 16 - I wasn't able to cast the last 2 levels of spells, IIRC. I was shocked to find that people tend to finish at level 30 or even 60 (!!!) and have all stats maximized. How is it possible? Was my game broken somehow? For the record - I was playing a modded PS:T according to the guide posted on GOG forums and I wasn't powergaming/grinding (e.g.: I barely visited UnderSigil).

You can gain XP rewards with no one else in the party, so all the XP goes to TNO. (particularly in Curst where the XP rewards are ridiculously high) Apart from that, you need to grind the respawning enemies in UnderSigil. There is an enemy that appears down there sometimes that has a small chance to drop a very powerful and unique item.

T. Reich

Arcane
Doesn't look like you managed to uncover the secrets of the Bronze Sphere. Did you?

But, yeah, lvl30+ is something reserved for solo monster-grinding playthroughs, which is pretty much missing the point of the game entirely, but I guess some people just have to sperg...

Parabalus

Arcane
Completed the game today.

I planned to write sort of a review from the point of view of someone who played TToN first and only *then* the original, however I don't see the point and it would've probably been bashed to oblivion (sic!) anyway.

So I'll just say that I absolutely love the game and in my opinion it fully deserves the praise it gets as well as the grand prize for being the best RPG of all time. TToN is a distant, blurry shadow of PS:T.

This is my endgame TNO:
Bk1Ypt2.jpg

People farm Undersigil or the Modron maze vigorously. There are also a bunch of infinite XP glitches.

You should write that review, you have a unique perspective which would sure make for a worthy read.

Naraya

Arcane
Doesn't look like you managed to uncover the secrets of the Bronze Sphere. Did you?
Correct, I had the sphere in my inventory as I suspected it might have use somewhere but it seems that I missed that dialogue option (and 2 million XP), oh well...

You should write that review, you have a unique perspective which would sure make for a worthy read.
I'll think about it, maybe I will given some free time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom