Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane Dishonored 2 - Emily and Corvo's Serkonan Vacation

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
bethesda is decent as far as AAA publisher goes. as developer they should commit seppuku
Don't they treat studios like shit? That's what I've been reading in the last few years. I don't know if that's how it's spinned or if it's actually true. :philosoraptor:

Latelistener

Arcane
Don't they treat studios like shit? That's what I've been reading in the last few years. I don't know if that's how it's spinned or if it's actually true.
A lot of shady shit is going on with Zenithesda, but I don't think they treat the inside studios like shit. I actually think they don't give a shit as long as money is flowing, and deadlines are met.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
I don't get all the Bethesda hate. Sure, they make shit games, but as a publisher they have brought incline.
Quite the opposite actually. Iirc it was bethesda that was the first to try microtransactions like horse armor for mainline tripleA titles. They're also the ones who made the massive open world, with shallow mechanics genre popular.
They also use milestone abuse and predatory practices to try and destroy, then buy Developing studios that work with them, like Arkane, I.D, Human Head, and others i'm sure i'm forgetting. Bethesda are just smart enough to not
Force diversity down your throat until you gag, they just try to stay relatively normal, with a few adult themes and no political messaging.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Been playing demo the last few days. Like it a lot more than Dishonored because:
+ no invisible walls (yet), so if you can see it, you can climb it;
+ stealth more challenging and consistent, and enemies don't have that severe of tunnel vision;
+ No Powers Mode is fun;
+ Stephen Russell.

However,
- lag spikes aren't that bad once resolution is lowered, but still kinda bothersome after a few hours in;
- I'm the kind who sperges over minor details, so it bugs me that I can't pick up lamps and trays to throw at people;
- lol you can open the cash register at the safes shop in front of the shop assistant, or clean out the black market's storeroom before the dealer's eyes, and they won't bat an eyelid, but walk into a fishmonger's shop and everyone freaks the hell out.

Overall thoughts: it's not bad, doesn't push any boundaries but does an assassin sim right. Will probably get it during the next sale.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Been playing demo the last few days. Like it a lot more than Dishonored because:
+ no invisible walls (yet), so if you can see it, you can climb it;
+ stealth more challenging and consistent, and enemies don't have that severe of tunnel vision;
+ No Powers Mode is fun;
+ Stephen Russell.

However,
- lag spikes aren't that bad once resolution is lowered, but still kinda bothersome after a few hours in;
- I'm the kind who sperges over minor details, so it bugs me that I can't pick up lamps and trays to throw at people;
- lol you can open the cash register at the safes shop in front of the shop assistant, or clean out the black market's storeroom before the dealer's eyes, and they won't bat an eyelid, but walk into a fishmonger's shop and everyone freaks the hell out.

Overall thoughts: it's not bad, doesn't push any boundaries but does an assassin sim right. Will probably get it during the next sale.

You can still get it there for 25 Shekels.
https://www.greenmangaming.com/de/games/dishonored-2/

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I played the demo, seemed really good. They addressed a lot of complaints with the first game (too easy, too linear, overpowered abilities). Playing full stealth is pretty hard, maps are large and fairly open, there's a No Powers mode for extra challenge. The lore and atmosphere of the first game were always excellent, and still are here.

Demo is pretty large actually, best to try it yourself. I'm definitely gonna grab it at some point, might be be best AAA game to appear in many moons.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
For people around New York: http://nyugamecenter.tumblr.com/post/159534971398

tumblr_ood1p4V2691rjspoho1_500.jpg

The NYU Game Center Lecture Series Presents Harvey Smith
Thursday, April 20, 7PM
2 Metrotech Center, 8th Floor

Harvey Smith, creative director at Arkane Studios, will join Game Center director Frank Lantz on stage for a guided tour through the hit game Dishonored 2. The event will include a real-time play through of some of the game’s most interesting levels with Smith pointing out various aspects of the game and discussing how they illustrate his design process and the team’s overall creative vision.

Free and open to the public.

RSVP here.

So thanks to the demo I've determined I can adequately run this, bought the game, and been playing through (Hear that, you dumbfuck publishers? Demos can increase your sales!). Playing a non-lethal ghost run with powers for my first playthrough, and I just finished up the Addermire Institute, but I have to say that so far this is GOTY of 2016 (admittedly a weak year) for me. I was a big fan of the first game, but also felt that it was pretty uneven from level to level (and while that could certainly prove to be the case here, from what I've read D2's level design only improves as you progress. So far it feels like an honest to goodness Deus Ex follow-up on the level design and gameplay systems. Only real drawback is the telegraphing of hidden content with the Heart. I really wish there was a toggle for that shit (or that I had some self-control about using it). I'll likely do a no-powers playthrough next, does anyone know if you don't get the heart when refusing the outsider?

darthaegis

Cipher
So thanks to the demo I've determined I can adequately run this, bought the game, and been playing through (Hear that, you dumbfuck publishers? Demos can increase your sales!). Playing a non-lethal ghost run with powers for my first playthrough, and I just finished up the Addermire Institute, but I have to say that so far this is GOTY of 2016 (admittedly a weak year) for me. I was a big fan of the first game, but also felt that it was pretty uneven from level to level (and while that could certainly prove to be the case here, from what I've read D2's level design only improves as you progress. So far it feels like an honest to goodness Deus Ex follow-up on the level design and gameplay systems. Only real drawback is the telegraphing of hidden content with the Heart. I really wish there was a toggle for that shit (or that I had some self-control about using it). I'll likely do a no-powers playthrough next, does anyone know if you don't get the heart when refusing the outsider?
You still get the Heart since you can still use bonecharms in a no-power playthrough.

udm

Arcane
Patron
So playing through some more with no powers, there are a couple more things that stand out to me:
1) Walking is barely audible to the player, but enemies can hear it from the other end of the room. WTF.
2) Meanwhile jumping has little effect on their alarmed state. Double WTF.
3) I like how enemies can tell where you're shooting from after a while, even if you miss. Not being ironic here. It's a really nice touch.

Just reached Jindosh's mansion. Really sweet level design so far. Even without Blink, many of the alternate pathways are accessible. In this department I've absolutely no complaints.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Just finished the game, highest difficulty, no powers, pure stealth, no kills only nonlethal takedowns without use of any items or weapons.

While more challenging then the first game its still pretty easy, AI is better this time but its still dumb and easily exploited.

Level design is overall pretty good with some maps being rather underwhelming and some simply great.

Story, characters and writing is mediocre and forgettable, but for this kind of game its not a major fault.

I find Bloodflies to be a completely wasted opportunity, they offer no challenge and with that its hard to believe that anyone would have problems clearing their nests. Also I expected their ability to plant nests in humans be more graphic like this

o6NBVIA.jpg

But in the end they are nothing but minor inconvenience.

Overall its a fun game that is well worth some 20 euros.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
No clue, I pirate or getting games as gifts and I didn't have game as a gift a while. I think the most likely answer is get used to it. I disliked what they did with mystery of outsider, so I'd pretend only pirateable episodes of Dishonored are decent. As markec said, writing is mediocre, and for me mediocre writing in game like Dishonored is show stopper.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
The game sometimes taking a long time to load up and other times loading in seconds.

Son was a fan of the original so I bought it for him but ended up playing it instead.

Seems the only way to play it is by using stealth. Direct combat, when I tried it, does not allow you to appreciate the level design and I suppose makes the game very short.

The stealth is pretty good if not diabolical. For this player it certainly teaches patience. A lot of save scum required, maybe that is just me. So far I have only once achieved the 'no kills' or 'not seen' tags at end of level only once.

I think the illusion of having large open spaces is well done. Sometimes it certainly feels like you have a large amount of ground to get through with various options but harsh reality is that the game is clever by masking a lot of space that is closed off. Shame it is not more open like Skyrim and that you can't walk from one chapter to another exploring the map.

The setting for me is the outstanding achievement here. I really like this whale technology, cum technology cum magic stuff. Even started reading a lot of the newspapers and books.

Best moments:
Blowing up three wheel tanks to blow up the back wall into a store.
Disabling the wind mills.
Using the chain magic connection to link three enemies and chocking them all by chocking one leads to immense satisfaction.
Figuring out the clockwork mansion episode was a supreme moment considering my lame skills.

Like the first game I am mostly disappointed that even though the society is based some on whale technology, you never go to sea. There is no Moby Dick moment. The people, the shops and the guards seem added on later and I would really like to see some immersion and connections between the setting and history with the stuff you can interact with.

Would like better conversation with NPCs. Shopkeepers raising the alarm when you open their cash register. Some sea-faring stuff.

Pretty good though. I was surprised.

Israfael

Arcane
So thanks to the demo I've determined I can adequately run this, bought the game, and been playing through (H

Yeah, that's why I actually bought it - initially I was scared by the tech reviews that claimed that you need a pair of GTX 1080 to run this smoothly (with no guarantees) at cinematic 30fps, but it runs fine even on my old r9 290 with everything on very high and blur off. It seems to be of the same quality as the original, only the story setup is much, much dumber (I was like 'ugh, this' initially, but then I forgot about the story and focused on the gameplay). More routes, a somewhat more interesting architecture, reactivity - everything Arkane still is capable of doing (unlike some others). If I did not read this thread first and got the hint that you can skip the 'smartass commentary' part, I'd probably not even try to break the ceiling in Jindoshes mansion and basically skip 75% of the traps (regretfully, I had to kill one robot to free Sokolov, but everyone else was left to be none the wiser. Probably, that prevented me from knowing more about Jindoshes personality, but whatever, I'll try to do it the dumb way next time.

PS We need Arx Fatalis 2 :|

MapMan

Arcane
For people around New York: http://nyugamecenter.tumblr.com/post/159534971398

tumblr_ood1p4V2691rjspoho1_500.jpg

The NYU Game Center Lecture Series Presents Harvey Smith
Thursday, April 20, 7PM
2 Metrotech Center, 8th Floor

Harvey Smith, creative director at Arkane Studios, will join Game Center director Frank Lantz on stage for a guided tour through the hit game Dishonored 2. The event will include a real-time play through of some of the game’s most interesting levels with Smith pointing out various aspects of the game and discussing how they illustrate his design process and the team’s overall creative vision.

Free and open to the public.

RSVP here.

I atended the talk. It was mediocre at best. They didn't focus on anything in particular, just talked about the game in general. It seemed like a pre release PR interview thing, not something directed at game developers. Frank Lantz did try to make Smith go into some more details about the game or what does he think about projects like Bioshock infinite (which Lantz admitted not to like) but he often avoided those questions and gave generic and general answers. Meh.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Is it possible to lean while zoomed in? I can lean first, then zoom in, but I cannot do it the other way around. Glitch maybe?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom