Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial RPG Codex Report: A Codexian Visit to inXile Entertainment

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
That restriction still exists though. Tyranny tried to do the animated portraits thing (albeit combined with descriptive dialogue) and it was awful. Theres also the pillars thing where Voice acting runs over the descriptive text so you tune out one or the other. Isometric view doesn't help with the expressive models thing either.

How about talking heads?

sser

Arcane
Developer
Could it be that the quality of the walls of text matters? Or perhaps, could it be that back then, you had to write a lot due to technical restrictions which now no longer exist and therefore, much of badly written expiatory text seem redundant? Why write "The old man rubbed his chin, his eyes darting about like a scurrying rat" when you can just have a model or animated portrait do it?

If NPCs had portraits half the words in the game could have been axed.

The written actions I kinda get, because there's not an actual sequential motion between reading and animation. Fantasy's bizarre obsession with describing articles of clothing has always bugged me, though, and is technically a redundancy if it's already presented in-game.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Pretty great interview. For all the talk of Fargo being an oil snake salesman (justified I might add. Not communicating all the cuts to the backers when they were one month away from release is a fucking questionable move even if I were to believe it was just incompetence as they say. Considering their update regarding the cuts didn't even cover all of them, they will need more to convince me that they weren't keeping things quiet intentionally), he comes off very sincere in his answers, even when trying to diminish their screw ups.

The ship is sinking, they have no choice but to admit it and move on. Snake oil salesmen can show professionalism you know? professionalism in this case would be to do damage control with the community.
He is totally a sham, but he knows how to act like one.

They don't want to completely cut their bridges with the gaming community no matter how harsh our comments can be because they don't want to become like DoubleBear with no one to sell games to.

I mean, this is what DoubleBear is making these days :

From Dead State to this. Eh.

This isn't Fargo being a nice human being. This is Fargo understanding that InXile could just end up like DoubleBear if they handled the fiasco the same way.

the horror...

Did you play Dead State?

I did. Overall good game with good writing gone sour due to scope and compartmented gameplay. Mitsodas need somebody supervising and managing their work, that is what sank Dead State in my opinion but I still liked that game more than quite a few others. Flawed but good game.

huskarls

Scholar
Where did Fargo get these two dickheads? He spent eight million paying these two megalomaniacs comparing themselves to authors to hold virtual meetings for four years. Worst of all they were totally unapologetic about making a shitty game and didn't kiss our ass right like Fargo. He needs to fire them and the "celebrity" designers next time so he can pay some artists to make more than two maps and six portraits

Severian Silk

I am playing Dead State right now. So far so good. I have minor issues with GUI and combat animations. Also, shit like raiding a gun store and only getting bits of ammo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Father Foreskin

Learned
I envision Brian Mitsoda lying on some shallow bed with faded bedsheets. Its a dimly lit, tiny apartment where he is. Brian dreams of the days when he was at Troika, real art with the bros. Or the early days at Obsidian. Just a young guy with an intresting job and some cash to lose. Annie is on her macbook and turns to Brian.

"You dont guess WHAT Trump just did" Annie Says.

"Hmmmnng?" Brian mums.

"He went GOLFING, fucking GOLFING. MISOGYNIST PIG!" Annie howls.

Brian remembers the time he used to golf a long time ago. He had to sell his golf clubs to pay Unity licencing fees for Dead State. How he longs for those clubs. Suddenly a vicious noise disturbs Brian. TINK TONK BEEP BOOP. Annie has begun to test their latest creation, the Multiverse Highschool whatever.

Brian forgets the golf clubs, he no longer needs them. A gun with one bullet would be great. There must be Early Access in heaven.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I envision Brian Mitsoda lying on some shallow bed with faded bedsheets. Its a dimly lit, tiny apartment where he is. Brian dreams of the days when he was at Troika, real art with the bros. Or the early days at Obsidian. Just a young guy with an intresting job and some cash to lose. Annie is on her macbook and turns to Brian.

"Hmmmnng?" Brian mums.

Brian remembers the time he used to golf a long time ago. He had to sell his golf clubs to pay Unity licencing fees for Dead State. How he longs for those clubs. Suddenly a vicious noise disturbs Brian. TINK TONK BEEP BOOP. Annie has begun to test their latest creation, the Multiverse Highschool whatever.

Brian forgets the golf clubs, he no longer needs them. A gun with one bullet would be great. There must be Early Access in heaven.

Saddest thing being, Annie was relatively sane at one point.

Neanderthal

Arcane

"Hmmmnng?" Brian mums.

Saddest thing being, Annie was relatively sane at one point.

Nah mate, they're all mad bitches underneath, just gotta marry em so they can let guard down when they've got you by balls an alf your fuckin house that you spent decades slavin to pay for.

Have we got a bitter emote?

ArchAngel

Arcane
This interview has more than 14.000 words and as such is one of the best interviews of its kind.
Maybe it is , but after reading some of the quoted examples, I decided to not bother reading it whole as it seems it is full of InXile's terrible excuses for their failures.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Would you share how much a writer of your stature would get for writing the complete script of an RPG the size of vtmb? Simple curiosity.
My pay has been all over the place over the years. On a couple projects, my pay rate has been 20 cents or 25 cents a word. ... For TTON, I was paid $20/hour, which is the lowest pay rate I've had since painting houses in high school.

I think that for TTON you'd have been better off with the per word rate, a goldmine, literally.

:troll:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Possibly, but I spent an absurd amount of time per word (though it may not show). I can't remember my word count but I think it would've been close. Per word is best for things you can do in a fugue state, and I never got there with Torment.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Great interview. The dude did it for free? If so then hats off to DU. With persuasive skills like that how does he still live in Australia?

The walkaway lesson here is I'm so glad I went into finance instead of game design when I had the chance.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The walkaway lesson here is I'm so glad I went into finance instead of game design when I had the chance.
As someone who got his degree in finance, I say you should have gone to engineering. :D

Yes, that has been a prevailing sentiment in the industry in the last few years. Unfortunately to study engineering you actually need some measure of genuine talent. In economics/finance you can largely bullshit your way to the diploma, cushy job and eventually even a couple of promotions.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom