Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
(which included an *unbeatable* escape end-game sequence)

Ah, the classic experience. Many a kurwa shoutouts were had that day.

janior

Arcane
Patron
PLAYING METAL MEME RISING IT'S GREAT 10/10 GOTY 2918
7a7c058897.png
NANO MACHINES BITCHES

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Played through Firewatch, kinda liked it.

Got myself a copy of 'Banner Saga 2' finally. Think I'm going to start replaying the first one today, jump into part 2 after that.

deuxhero

Arcane
Tried Rainbow Six Vegas 2 to see if it was truely as decline as I suspected Vegas was (also because despite moving away from realism it's one of like 8 games in the entire universe that remembers rounds in the chamber are a thing and I had to try that).

It's worse. Not even fun for a cover shooter. Death is super random because any headshot, even a single shotgun pellet at the longest distance possible, is instant death. On the other hand you can absorb a shitton of bullets to the chest with just light armor, so death is super random and just dependent on if the bad guy's aim cone included a headshot instead of anything you can actually plan for. Grenades also move in slo-mo through the air which is hilarious.

Plenty of stupid shit in it too. The enemy Mexican gang members throw Spanish slurs everywhere... while speaking with absolutely perfect American accents. When you are shooting through a rec center there's a bit where arbitrary barriers mean you have to repel up a climbing wall while the heavily armed bad guys repel down and it looks hilarious. When the bad guys gas a stadium, one of your allies spends like a minute attempting to kick in door that clearly (and in the United States by law would have to) opens out and nobody says anything.

Last edited:

flyingjohn

Arcane
Tried Rainbow Six Vegas 2 to see if it was truely as decline as I suspected Vegas was (also because despite moving away from realism it's one of like 8 games in the entire universe that remembers rounds in the chamber are a thing and I had to try that).

It's worse. Not even fun for a cover shooter. Death is super random because any headshot, even a single shotgun pellet at the longest distance possible, is instant death. On the other hand you can absorb a shitton of bullets to the chest with just light armor, so death is super random and just dependent on if the bad guy's aim cone included a headshot instead of anything you can actually plan for. Grenades also move in slo-mo through the air which is hilarious.

Plenty of stupid shit in it too. The enemy Mexican gang members throw Spanish slurs everywhere... while speaking with absolutely perfect American accents. When you are shooting through a rec center there's a bit where arbitrary barriers mean you have to repel up a climbing wall while the heavily armed bad guys repel down and it looks hilarious. When the bad guys gas a stadium, one of your allies spends like a minute attempting to kick in door that clearly (and in the United States by law would have to) opens out and nobody says anything.
Oh god i remembered the idiotic terrorist hunt mode in which the entire difficulty consisted of enemies spawning out of thin air and killing you on the spot.
Which genius at Ubisoft come up with this idea i wonder?
Oh and the final boss fight being a helicopter pretty much confirmed Ubisoft just gave up and tossed a coin between a helicopter or a tank boss fight.

deuxhero

Arcane
The XP system is totally fucked up too. One branch has XP given away for the most basic shit you have to do anyways (kill an enemy while close by in a game where you rarely see people more than 30 yards in front of you), while another only gets XP from things that can only happen in very limited areas and only if you wouldn't get XP from the other branches .

sullynathan

Arcane
I beat Furi today. What a glorious game, it is funny how the later bosses after boss 7 are easier than the earlier ones.

deuxhero Ps. If you really like multiplayer, rainbow six siege is the best AAA multiplayer shooter this gen.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Tried a little game called Untold Stories. It's basically a collection of interactive horror themed stories with some slick retro aesthetics (that heavily borrow from Stranger Things). It's structured like a TV show, and although the episodes may seem independent at first, there's a clear central theme that gets more and more visible as you go through them.

If you're into that sort of games, it's honestly fantastic.

Thumbleweed Park. Good old school graphics, clean presentation and some interesting characters. You can definitely tell the guys behind it know what they're doing. The constant 4th wall breaking could get annoying. I'm not really blown away.

Signal from Tolva. Open world-ish game where you explore locations and shoot bad robots. The storytelling is mostly done by collecting different kinds of personal logs, as well as simply going through the missions. Some pretty decent gunplay as well. But I can see this get kinda repetitive. We'll see.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Did the mistake of sleeping with Mrs. Bishop in Fallout 2. Now I have to kill an army of Bishop's men. Is there really no other way out? No fire escape or something?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Did the mistake of sleeping with Mrs. Bishop in Fallout 2. Now I have to kill an army of Bishop's men. Is there really no other way out? No fire escape or something?

You made that hard save, right?

IIRC, the only way I could get out of this jam was instead of trying to go downstairs to leave, I'd go talk to Mr. Bishop and give him a certain suitcase from a certain someone in Vault City.

Yes, really. After fucking his wife I waltz straight into his office and start taking jobs from him.

That got me on Bishop's good side, for the time being.

You can do more than just fuck his wife, you know. ;)

You sure you don't want that Fallout Guide to Sex I mentioned?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, I saved the game before approaching Mrs. Bishop.
But it really pisses me off that Mrs. Bishop can apparantly parade me straight past Mr. Bishop to her bedroom, and when I return the (presumably) same way he is very surprised and annoyed at seeing me. Even if I Run For It and don't kill anyone, the other guards on the two other levels are still aggroed, and it's hopeless. :argh:

Harpsichord

Arcane
I beat Furi today. What a glorious game, it is funny how the later bosses after boss 7 are easier than the earlier ones.
You really think so? I found the guy with the oar to be harder, but maybe I'm just getting old and my reflexes are starting to suck.

Great game though, and I normally hate boss rushes.

^^He was too busy playing pool to notice his imminent cucking.

Bishop doesn't care about you strolling by if you're working for him, so presumably the devs forgot that you can talk to Bishop's girls before getting permission to go upstairs from the guards on the floor below. If you have enough AP you can try to walk past the room in combat mode.

sullynathan

Arcane
You really think so? I found the guy with the oar to be harder, but maybe I'm just getting old and my reflexes are starting to suck.

Great game though, and I normally hate boss rushes.

He was actually easy because the entire fight is in combat mode. Once you learn that you only have to parry except in the final phase then things because easy

the_shadow

Arcane
(which included an *unbeatable* escape end-game sequence)

Ah, the classic experience. Many a kurwa shoutouts were had that day.

I've read that it's literally *impossible* to complete, because the character moves slower on the PC port. This wouldn't surprise me since I cut down every unnecessary movement, while looking at the ground to avoid any slowing due to sanity loss, but always auto-died at the passage where John Marsh captures you when you first enter the underwater city. I ended up tripling the player speed with the unofficial patch, and facepalmed when I died because the character has to spend about 20 seconds chanting some esoteric phrase to open the gateway. Bad enough that he moves like a slug, but he can't even talk fast when the whole world is crumbling down around him.

I also encountered a really weird bug where the dialogue would get cut off at the end of each sentence by about 5 seconds, which really breaks the immersion. There were other times when I'd just be catapulted 50 feet into the sky out of the game world. Oh, and there was a crate that would crash the game to desktop if I didn't push it in *exactly* the right way. And another where after escaping the Marsh refinery, I started the level in the sea next the boat, instead of the deck of the boat where I was meant to be. I swam around for about 15 minutes before falling through the ocean floor, only to restart the level in the right position. You can't alt-tab out of the game without crashing it either, which is pain, since you need to keep alt-tabbing to a walkthrough to determine if you're stuck because you're an idiot, or because you've hit another bug.

The game sure has a lot of WTF moments, but not the kind you want in a horror game.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I've read that it's literally *impossible* to complete

Nope, I remember running into the same thing back in the day when I played it for the first time (exactly as you say - rocks fall everyone dies at the entrance where you get captured), but I finally made it out after a gazillion tries. There's basically a "pixel perfect" route that you have to follow to make it in time, I think, and while annoying as sheet, it's definitely possible.

Also, I see you don't mention the bugged island ritual lights when aiming the cannon, so I guess you were spared at least that one :M It's just about as bad as the final getaway bug.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Yooka Laylee a.k.a. we watched banjo game play on you tube and decided to make a cash grab.
Banjo had noises instead of actual voice acting so let's make the same thing except you ain't gonna have a option to actually quickly skip it.
Banjo had open world so let's make a open world plat former except most of the stuff is hidden and can only be accessed by acquiring abilities from other worlds.
There is nothing more disappointing then finding something only to find out you can't use it or beat that part without a specific ability.
Also yooka laylee has bigger worlds which just means you will spend more time looking for stuff because unlike banjo which had a lot of stuff compacted in the levels,here they are just open for open world sake.
And even if you find something interesting,it will require a ability you either don't have or have acquired somewhere else.
Banjo had mini games so let's make mini games,except let's make them have horrible controls and boring game play.
Banjo had a somewhat bad camera,so let's make a bad camera with a rolling move making it even worse.
Banjo had quizzes which nobody liked so let's make quizzes to progress.
Banjo had collectables so let's make more collectibles(every level has 200 quills to collect and around 25 pages and other stuff)

I really wanted to like this game but after 10 hours and 2 worlds(there is only 5 worlds total) i just couldn't go on.

Last edited:

the_shadow

Arcane
I've read that it's literally *impossible* to complete

Also, I see you don't mention the bugged island ritual lights when aiming the cannon, so I guess you were spared at least that one :M It's just about as bad as the final getaway bug.

That wasn't in my version of the game at all? The only thing I had to shoot with the ship cannon was Dagon.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
That wasn't in my version of the game at all? The only thing I had to shoot with the ship cannon was Dagon.

:what:

It makes me start wondering the hell kind of bootleg were you even playing :lol:

There's a section, shortly before shooting Dagon I think, where you learn that the whole devil storm is invoked by cultists on the island. To stop it, you have to man the cannon and look for glowing lights on the island through the scope, which are the ritual sites where the cultists are doing cultisty things.

In 95% of cases, though, those lights will not show, leaving you shooting blindly and hoping that you hit something by accident. But fortunately, their placement isn't random, so you can find walkthroughs out there on the net that pinpoint the exact locations of the hotspots, oriented to the cannon range scales.

the_shadow

Arcane

:what:

It makes me start wondering the hell kind of bootleg were you even playing :lol:

There's a section, shortly before shooting Dagon I think, where you learn that the whole devil storm is invoked by cultists on the island. To stop it, you have to man the cannon and look for glowing lights on the island through the scope, which are the ritual sites where the cultists are doing cultisty things.

In 95% of cases, though, those lights will not show, leaving you shooting blindly and hoping that you hit something by accident. But fortunately, their placement isn't random, so you can find walkthroughs out there on the net that pinpoint the exact locations of the hotspots, oriented to the cannon range scales.

I was using the unofficial patch, and ticked the bugfix for the 'blue lights' (I had no idea what it was for). Maybe the 'bugfix' just removes that tiny portion of the game altogether.

flyingjohn

Arcane
You do realize the devs behind Yooka Laylee made the Banjo games, right?
Nope,yooka laylee devs were part of rare but only in the programming and technical department.(so i guess you were right in the "making part")
Gregg Mayles is the guy who made the banjo series and he is still at Rare.
But programers and directors have completely different roles and this games shows it.

Bio Force Ape

Arcane
Tried a little game called Untold Stories. It's basically a collection of interactive horror themed stories with some slick retro aesthetics (that heavily borrow from Stranger Things). It's structured like a TV show, and although the episodes may seem independent at first, there's a clear central theme that gets more and more visible as you go through them.

If you're into that sort of games, it's honestly fantastic.

Thumbleweed Park. Good old school graphics, clean presentation and some interesting characters. You can definitely tell the guys behind it know what they're doing. The constant 4th wall breaking could get annoying. I'm not really blown away.

Signal from Tolva. Open world-ish game where you explore locations and shoot bad robots. The storytelling is mostly done by collecting different kinds of personal logs, as well as simply going through the missions. Some pretty decent gunplay as well. But I can see this get kinda repetitive. We'll see.

I was intrigued enough to look these up, but you got some of the names wrong. It's Stories Untold and Thimbleweed Park.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Started playing Salt & Sanctuary a few days ago. Just beat three bosses in one session: Mad Alchemist, Kraeken Cyclops, and False Jester. +M

Chose the Knight class and am generally going for a strength build, but I reduced weight enough to be able to roll (which is even more important than in the Souls games). I've been switching between sword & shield, spear & shield, and two-handed greatsword. And I've now unlocked first-level prayers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom