Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dark Sun: Wake of the Ravager

kmonster

Augur
Check if those characters are affected by a spell, try resting, unequipping and casting "dispel magic" at them. You can also try using a healing item or even kill and resurrect them.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
ahh shit I can't remember, try shift/ctrl/alt clicking that box bastard which if all is as I have surmised is GLOWING LIKE A BLUE BITCH

or shift/ctrl/alt-number of the character

if all that doesn't work just think of it as another brick in the shittiness wall of WoR

Currently playing Shattered Lands, and as you do, I'm getting pretty attached to my party and having an absolute blast with the game. However, opinions on the sequel seem decidedly mixed, and I couldn't really find much information on it at all. Where exactly does it go so wrong? Is it really that bad? Well worth playing, or something to pick up when you've run the rest dry?

Discuss!!!
I looked everywhere and nobody has posted (that I could find) which items transfer to the sequel from Shattered Lands.

Here is my list:
Weapons:
El's Drinker - ignore the bogus effect the weapon's description displays, El's Drinker works just fine! PLUS it can now be readied as a SECONDARY weapon (or you can wield TWO of them)!
+4 Dragonsbane - Can now be used as a secondary weapon!
Poison Dagger --- Becomes ORDINARY +2 dagger and is useless...
+1 Wooden Longsword of Strength --- Becomes ORDINARY +1 long sword and is useless...
+3 Dag's Dagger --- Loses bonus to Charisma and becomes ORDINARY +3 dagger.
+1 Obsidian Blackmace --- Still gives 1D8+1/lvl Shocking Grasp damage but ADDITIONALLY all physical damage is ACID damage (AWESOME)!
+2 Metal Sword --- Still gives 1D3+2/lvl Burning Hands damage PLUS it can now be readied as a SECONDARY weapon (or you can wield TWO of them)!
* Notes: I haven't tested either set of Gloves. The Chamelion Gloves Blindness was handy as a secondary weapon in the first game, but with everyone using an El's Drinker as a secondary weapon, not needed. I equiped the fighter characters with the +1 Blackmace Primary and El's Drinker Secondary. For the spell casters, I equipped the El's Drinker primary and the +2 Burning Hands sword secondary. Same goes for the +1 Staff of Slow. Found it handy in the first game, but it's a two handed weapon and the two weapon combos I list are just too good...

Missile Weapons:
+2 Sling --- Gets converted to a +1 throwing star.
+2 Bow --- Imports perfectly
+1 Fiery Throwing Star --- There are two different ones you can find in the game: one the druid ThriKreen of the Oasis gives you (I think) and the other you pick off the dead body on the bridge to Balkazar's lair in the Magera Wyrm (that one I'm positive). This is *WEIRD* but one of those stars becomes an ordinary +2 throwing star and the other becomes a +1 throwing star that causes the target to be unable to cast for 3 rounds and I have zero idea which is which...
+1 Acid Arrow Bow --- Transfers perfectly (thank goodness as that's my prferred bow).

Artifacts:
All of those cool sounding artifacts you buy at the Elven Caravan lose all of their powers in the sequel and become ordinary items (I know. Everybody wants to use the Serpent Ring of Invisibility as there's an actual dragon in the sequel, but, sadly, it's not to be...)

Armor:
All armors with different effects lose their special powers in the second game as well as several armor class steps. The one exception to this is the Spider Armor. Make sure you EQUIP the Spider Armor on ALL spellcasters BEFORE transferring or you can not RE-EQUIP it!
The Helm of Contemplation loses all of its magical properties, but converts to a +2AC item in the sequel. Make sure you EQUIP the helm BEFORE you transfer as you can not RE-EQUIP it if you remove it.
The Helm of Strength becomes a common cap with no bonuses whatsoever and is completely useless.
The Necklace of Biofeeback you get when killing Tara in the Wyvern Castle still works perfectly AND the necklace is now worth an OBSCENE amount of money. having an extra one or two to sell and you'll NEVER have to worry about money in the sequel!
The Cloak of Inertial Barrier still works perfectly.
Serpent Boots do not transfer to the sequel at all, the sequel gives you a bag of coins instead.
Strength Belt --- Reason I'm listing it here is because it gets converted to a +1AC peice of armor. Make sure you EQUIP the belt BEFORE you transfer as you can not RE-EQUIP it if you remove it.

Rings:
All Rings that give bonuses to stats still work fine despite the goofy/wrong descriptions in theire items.
Wind Ring --- Thankfully still works.
Storm Ring --- LOSES Ice Storm and becomes ordinary ring.
Dissmissal Ring --- Becomes a different spell effect.
(*NOTE: For my "travelling" rings, I usually go with a Wind Ring and either a DEX Boost Ring or a WIS Boost Ring depending on the class of the character. Whenever I get close to a level up, I switch to two CON Bonus Rings...)

Wands and Rods:
None transfer.

Necklaces:
Only the Necklace of Biofeedback Transfers all other necklaces such as Fireball and Disintigrate lose their magic and become ordinary, useless necklaces.

Misc Equipment:
Picks come through but shovels don't.
Ropes and potions become ordinary and useless.
Some fruit and armbands transfer, but many get changed to something slightly different in the sequel.

Unlike others, I PREFERRED to transfer my old gang as my characters were all 9th level but had enough experience for 10th level just entering the game and the experience in the sequel ALONE is hard to get casters to 7th level otherwise. Just remember before the first fight to turn down the default difficulty of "Hideous" if you don't like that. I played the whole first game in "Hideous" and prefer to do so in the second (as I multiplied items for an advantage and the game would be too easy otherwise fr me).

That should, hopefully, reduce your time and frustraion/aggravation when going to play the sequel.

Graphics are noticably worse in the second game and the plot much more rigid/linear, but I liked it very much.

Janoreth

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I looked everywhere and nobody has posted (that I could find) which items transfer to the sequel from Shattered Lands.
Awesome first post :salute: I never actually kept systematic track of what converts, all I remembered is that most weapons do and most armour doesn't. Since it seems you've taken extensive notes, mind if I ask you some questions? If everything you said is accurate then I'm BADLY misremembering some things.

It's been a while since I played either game but IIRC Dragonsbane was a 2H weapon in DS1. Does this mean it becomes a 1H in DS2?

Whaaaat! I thought this one transferred fine. That's crap! This was my favourite weapon in DS1, even more than El's! You'd think I'd remember this since it's the one I usually use the Genie's wish on...

There are a few more weapons I think you didn't mention, like the obsidian sword you get from the templar leader in the slave pens, and the magical axe you get from the sewers if and only if you have a thief. Did you test neither or did you consider them not worth mentioning, since it's unlikely anyone'd still be using them late in DS1 and in DS2?

All armors with different effects lose their special powers in the second game as well as several armor class steps. The one exception to this is the Spider Armor. Make sure you EQUIP the Spider Armor on ALL spellcasters BEFORE transferring or you can not RE-EQUIP it!
Do you remember if Tenelev's armour transfers at all? I think none of them do, but I'm not sure. I also can't remember if any of the other metal pieces transfer.
Also what's all this business with not being able to reequip the armour pieces? I don't remember any of this either. I really need to replay these two...

These games are on gog.com:
http://af.gog.com/game/dungeons_dragons_dark_sun_series?as=1649904300

Thanks! I wishlisted it. God, there're so many awesome games on gog. I've only played a fraction. :/

Do you actually raise an army? Is the army like a party? Is there a limit to its size?

EDIT: The commercial sale of old games on gog.com is greatly underestimated by many. I've already bought a dozen. WTF would I spend money on other games when I can get just as many hours and fun for a far smaller price?

Newer games have better gfx and accessibility, but I find I don't care about that. They're more expensive too. The only things which really interest me are AI and physics and openworld/sandbox in the newer games, but it's rarely impressive.

This I find impressive and worth buying:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/284160/

I was impressed with the Euphoria engine in GTA 4. There's a lot I still like about GTA 4.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought everyone might find this useful.

I can't stand having to keep the CD in the drive.

If you download any free CD-ROM .ISO maker (I used MagicISO) to create an ISO from the first data track on the CD and save the resulting .ISO file into the \dsun2\ directory, you can create the following batchfile to load it in as the game CD:

Use notepad to create 'dsun2.bat' in c\dosbox\ {or wherever you installed Dosbox to}:
mount -u d
imgmount d c:\dosbox\dsun2\dsun2.iso -t iso
DSUN dsun -W0 -L -k911 -p -a -s -m -a

Then run the game with your batch file you created above.

That -s parameter is CRAZY. Gives your spell casters every spell at every level PLUS the ability to cast *19* of them at every level (including levels you haven't achieved yet).

Here are the cheat codes to both Darksun games:

dsun -k911 -s -p -m -a
  • -s -- Will start you out with all of the spells
  • -p -- will start you out with all of the psyonics
  • -m -- no music
  • -a -- no intro
The following is a list of keys to hit durring the game:
  • T -- raise the level of the entire party by one
  • t -- raise the level of one character during his turn in combat
  • m/M -- memorize all of the spells
  • alt F2 -- god party (invincibility?)
  • alt F4 -- spellcasters memorize all spells
Hope these help.

Janoreth

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Do you actually raise an army? Is the army like a party? Is there a limit to its size?
Not really like that. You never control any of the army (though one NPC representative from each faction you recruit will help you in the final fight) and there is a limit, in that there are specific quests to recruit specific factions, and you need to recruit 2 of the villages to advance the main quest. It's still a great game if you like these sorts of CRPGs.

Awesome first post :salute: I never actually kept systematic track of what converts, all I remembered is that most weapons do and most armour doesn't. Since it seems you've taken extensive notes, mind if I ask you some questions? If everything you said is accurate then I'm BADLY misremembering some things.

It's been a while since I played either game but IIRC Dragonsbane was a 2H weapon in DS1. Does this mean it becomes a 1H in DS2?

Whaaaat! I thought this one transferred fine. That's crap! This was my favourite weapon in DS1, even more than El's! You'd think I'd remember this since it's the one I usually use the Genie's wish on...

There are a few more weapons I think you didn't mention, like the obsidian sword you get from the templar leader in the slave pens, and the magical axe you get from the sewers if and only if you have a thief. Did you test neither or did you consider them not worth mentioning, since it's unlikely anyone'd still be using them late in DS1 and in DS2?

Do you remember if Tenelev's armour transfers at all? I think none of them do, but I'm not sure. I also can't remember if any of the other metal pieces transfer.
Also what's all this business with not being able to reequip the armour pieces? I don't remember any of this either. I really need to replay these two...

Hi Sceptic.

+4 Dragonsbane is a one hander in Darksun Shattered Lands but marked with the "Heavy" tag meaning it can't be equipped as a secondary weapon. In the sequel, it makes an INCREDIBLE secondary weapon for spellcasters with middling Dexterity.

To answer your second question, every plus weapon without a magical effect seems to transfer fine. But, as you astutely put, there are several weapons with magical extras that, by the end of the game, most of the more plain weapons are no longer used.

Regarding the +2 Poison Dagger, I'd heard how tough Wake of The Raveger was, (it took me FOREVER to figure out how to actually CREATE the thing in Balkazar's room), yeah, I didn't have it until the second full run through in the game and MAN did it make the final battles easier BIG TIME. So I was really unhappy it lost it's mega poison damage ability. That being said, the +1 Obsidian Blackmace's new Acid Damaging ability plus its +1D8+1/lvl electric damage from Shocking Grasp make up for it a little bit. Unfortunately, the mace still has the "Heavy" tag and can only be used as a primary weapon.

Well, the Spider Armor goes from a +3AC super lightweight armor to a +4AC Bone Brigand armor. Only Thieves, Druids, and pure spellcasters can't re-equip this armor as they aren't able to don it in the first place. I have zero idea if it causes Thief skill penalties or Mage spell fumbling like there is in the pen and paper game, but I doubt it only because I haven't noticed anything yet... Tanelyn's +4AC Metal breastplate becomes a nonmagical +2AC Bone Brigand Breastplate. The Shimmer Leather armor with its perpetual Free Movement spell becomes a bag of money in the new game (serious bummer).

Hope that answers your questions.

Janoreth

Sorry, and forgot to mention both the Tanelev arm and leg armor transfer correctly (in fact, the leg armor goes from a +2AC to a +3AC)...

Janoreth

These games are on gog.com:
http://af.gog.com/game/dungeons_dragons_dark_sun_series?as=1649904300

Thanks! I wishlisted it. God, there're so many awesome games on gog. I've only played a fraction. :/

EDIT: The commercial sale of old games on gog.com is greatly underestimated by many. I've already bought a dozen. WTF would I spend money on other games when I can get just as many hours and fun for a far smaller price?

Newer games have better gfx and accessibility, but I find I don't care about that. They're more expensive too. The only things which really interest me are AI and physics and openworld/sandbox in the newer games, but it's rarely impressive.

This I find impressive and worth buying:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/284160/

I was impressed with the Euphoria engine in GTA 4. There's a lot I still like about GTA 4.

Hi Belowmecoldhands.

There's also a website called abandonia (http://www.abandonia.com/en/game/RPG) where you can get most of these games for free...

As for raising an army in Darksun I: Wake of the Raveger, yes. But you don't "control" any of the soldiers, per se. You only have strategic control over your four charaqcters. The armies you raise while playing the game become a narrative at the end where you hear about their progress but you neither control or strategize their movements (but MAN would it have been a cool idea if you could have in some capacity). In the very final battle, the 'champion/hero' from each army you raised will fight along side you in the final battle but they're neither very good or effective. I tried fighting the final battles several times trying to keep even one of the champion/heroes alive but had zero luck doing so, so I have no idea if there's any cool dialoge between the party and them at the end or not... If you manage to pull that off please post what happened because I'm itching to know...

Thanks,

Janoreth

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember fighting a gated village in the north, and then the army attacked. I can't remember if that would trigger a final battle there.

I remember fighting a gated village in the north, and then the army attacked. I can't remember if that would trigger a final battle there.
Hi Malignant Manor.

I just finished the Shattered Lands game for the second time a couple of days ago so it's fresh in my mind...

Once you've created at least one alliance with Cedrite, Gedron, or the captured destroyed caravan, return to Tequetzil and talk to Cahil and the council, talking to the council triggers the buried temple/genie and the end combats.

Janoreth

You can attack the village and then the city-state attacks.

Edit: I only remember foot soldiers offhand. I'm not sure if I cleared out the first wave.

Last edited:
Hi.

I have two updates (neither are spoilers in the least) into my new foray into playing Darksun 2: Wake Of The Raveger after many years:

1st, and this frustrated the *crap* out of me and I couldn't find any clue to the problem or the solution on the Internet --- even when I managed to get my hands on a .PDF for the original SSI Solutions Guide... Then I figured it out, but wasted many days... As Darksun 2 is pretty linear, I found myself dead in the water when no matter how many times Arslan walked me to the Veiled Alliance Headquarters, when I went to use the button on the fountain to open the cabinet doors, nothing would happen. First I started doubting it could even *be* opened. So I loaded an ancient save game and, sure enough, the cabinet was opened in that game... I stared to think maybe a character or item I imported was causing the bug so I created 4 characters from scratch and got them to the same point in the game but had the *exact* same issue. Isat there frustrated for hours trying to figure out what could be different between lonag ago and now... Then it dawned on me... It was the speed of my PC and the differences between using an old physical PC and an emulator like DOSBOX... I started reading up on how to speed up and slow down the virtual processor in DOSBOX when, suddenly, I realized a *way* easier workaround... The issue seemed to be that my tapping of the keys, I couldn't quite keep up with Arslan. He'd get to the Veiled Alliance Headquarters and wouldn't wait two seconds for me to catch up. By the time I got to the Headquarters' door, Arslan was already halfway walking back to his house. Finally I realized that, if I *temporarily* turned off the Character Animations under the settings, the game moved lightning fast and I was actually able to get *ahead* of Arslan and wait for *him* at the Veiled Alliance Headquarters. When I did that, when he reaches you at the door, there is a short dialogue and he tells you to press the fountain button to open the cabinet stairway --- which is what unlocks it... For those of you that didn't run into this problem, you may be shrugging your shouldersw, but for me it was epically frustrating...

2'nd: MAJOR SHOWSTOPPING BUG and the simple workaround I found: About halfway through the game, in the mines, when you try to use the elevator, the game will freeze on the level loading screen. This occurs even if you load from an earlier save game and try it again. Since you need to use the elevator to get further into the game, this essentially halts your progress... You can actually get around this by kicking out all of your party members except one, using the elevator with that one character, then re-adding all your party members once you reach the bottom of the mine shaft (and save your game there!)...

That's all I've run into so far but wanted to share...

Hope that helps others out.

I really love the older games for the well crafted stories and strategy. The only issue being with out of support games trying to stumble through some head scratching bugs...

Janoreth

Hi.

I have two updates (neither are spoilers in the least) into my new foray into playing Darksun 2: Wake Of The Raveger after many years:

1st, and this frustrated the *crap* out of me and I couldn't find any clue to the problem or the solution on the Internet --- even when I managed to get my hands on a .PDF for the original SSI Solutions Guide... Then I figured it out, but wasted many days... As Darksun 2 is pretty linear, I found myself dead in the water when no matter how many times Arslan walked me to the Veiled Alliance Headquarters, when I went to use the button on the fountain to open the cabinet doors, nothing would happen. First I started doubting it could even *be* opened. So I loaded an ancient save game and, sure enough, the cabinet was opened in that game... I stared to think maybe a character or item I imported was causing the bug so I created 4 characters from scratch and got them to the same point in the game but had the *exact* same issue. Isat there frustrated for hours trying to figure out what could be different between lonag ago and now... Then it dawned on me... It was the speed of my PC and the differences between using an old physical PC and an emulator like DOSBOX... I started reading up on how to speed up and slow down the virtual processor in DOSBOX when, suddenly, I realized a *way* easier workaround... The issue seemed to be that my tapping of the keys, I couldn't quite keep up with Arslan. He'd get to the Veiled Alliance Headquarters and wouldn't wait two seconds for me to catch up. By the time I got to the Headquarters' door, Arslan was already halfway walking back to his house. Finally I realized that, if I *temporarily* turned off the Character Animations under the settings, the game moved lightning fast and I was actually able to get *ahead* of Arslan and wait for *him* at the Veiled Alliance Headquarters. When I did that, when he reaches you at the door, there is a short dialogue and he tells you to press the fountain button to open the cabinet stairway --- which is what unlocks it... For those of you that didn't run into this problem, you may be shrugging your shouldersw, but for me it was epically frustrating...

2'nd: MAJOR SHOWSTOPPING BUG and the simple workaround I found: About halfway through the game, in the mines, when you try to use the elevator, the game will freeze on the level loading screen. This occurs even if you load from an earlier save game and try it again. Since you need to use the elevator to get further into the game, this essentially halts your progress... You can actually get around this by kicking out all of your party members except one, using the elevator with that one character, then re-adding all your party members once you reach the bottom of the mine shaft (and save your game there!)...

That's all I've run into so far but wanted to share...

Hope that helps others out.

I really love the older games for the well crafted stories and strategy. The only issue being with out of support games trying to stumble through some head scratching bugs...

Janoreth
Oh, and I almost totally forgot... Before you transfer your saved game in Darksun 1: Shattered Lands to import it into Darksun 2, go back to the Fields Of Draj and near the lower left corner of the map, buy one Green Grapes and one Orange Grapes fro the fruit vendor guy. Put them on the party leader but not in any bags or chests. There may be *some* way to find grapes in Darksun 2 --- but I haven't figured it out. You'll need both colors of grapes in the pyramid to save a mage's life... I got frustrated looking everywhere in Darksun 2 and not finding either color of grapes. Saves a *LOT* of aggravation if you just bring them with you from Darksun 1...

Janoreth

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Regarding the +2 Poison Dagger, I'd heard how tough Wake of The Raveger was, (it took me FOREVER to figure out how to actually CREATE the thing in Balkazar's room), yeah, I didn't have it until the second full run through in the game and MAN did it make the final battles easier BIG TIME. So I was really unhappy it lost it's mega poison damage ability. That being said, the +1 Obsidian Blackmace's new Acid Damaging ability plus its +1D8+1/lvl electric damage from Shocking Grasp make up for it a little bit. Unfortunately, the mace still has the "Heavy" tag and can only be used as a primary weapon.

Well, the Spider Armor goes from a +3AC super lightweight armor to a +4AC Bone Brigand armor. Only Thieves, Druids, and pure spellcasters can't re-equip this armor as they aren't able to don it in the first place. I have zero idea if it causes Thief skill penalties or Mage spell fumbling like there is in the pen and paper game, but I doubt it only because I haven't noticed anything yet... Tanelyn's +4AC Metal breastplate becomes a nonmagical +2AC Bone Brigand Breastplate. The Shimmer Leather armor with its perpetual Free Movement spell becomes a bag of money in the new game (serious bummer).
Thanks for the info, I haven't played either game in so long, I'd forgotten a lot of this. You're really making me want to launch another playthrough now, DS1 is such a fantastic game.

I tried fighting the final battles several times trying to keep even one of the champion/heroes alive but had zero luck doing so, so I have no idea if there's any cool dialoge between the party and them at the end or not... If you manage to pull that off please post what happened because I'm itching to know...
IIRC they each say a line to the tune of "what an amazing, you're such a hero", but nothing really special. You do get more detailed lines if you go back to each of the villages and talk to the leaders there (especially in Teaquetzl, obviously).

Once you've created at least one alliance with Cedrite, Gedron, or the captured destroyed caravan, return to Tequetzil and talk to Cahil and the council, talking to the council triggers the buried temple/genie and the end combats.
This time I'm the one correcting you because I'm 100% sure of this :P You need to ally with both Cedrite and Gedron to trigger the sandstorm, the ruins and the endgame. The caravan (I'm guessing you mean the whole Magera segment) is entirely optional. The other 2 are both required.

As Darksun 2 is pretty linear, I found myself dead in the water when no matter how many times Arslan walked me to the Veiled Alliance Headquarters, when I went to use the button on the fountain to open the cabinet doors, nothing would happen. First I started doubting it could even *be* opened. So I loaded an ancient save game and, sure enough, the cabinet was opened in that game... I stared to think maybe a character or item I imported was causing the bug so I created 4 characters from scratch and got them to the same point in the game but had the *exact* same issue. Isat there frustrated for hours trying to figure out what could be different between lonag ago and now... Then it dawned on me... It was the speed of my PC and the differences between using an old physical PC and an emulator like DOSBOX... I started reading up on how to speed up and slow down the virtual processor in DOSBOX when, suddenly, I realized a *way* easier workaround... The issue seemed to be that my tapping of the keys, I couldn't quite keep up with Arslan. He'd get to the Veiled Alliance Headquarters and wouldn't wait two seconds for me to catch up. By the time I got to the Headquarters' door, Arslan was already halfway walking back to his house. Finally I realized that, if I *temporarily* turned off the Character Animations under the settings, the game moved lightning fast and I was actually able to get *ahead* of Arslan and wait for *him* at the Veiled Alliance Headquarters. When I did that, when he reaches you at the door, there is a short dialogue and he tells you to press the fountain button to open the cabinet stairway --- which is what unlocks it...
VentilatorOfDoom will be happy to know of this, IIRC he got stuck there a few years ago, and despite trying to help him neither of us could figure out what the hell was going on. Now we know!

Thanks for the info, I haven't played either game in so long, I'd forgotten a lot of this. You're really making me want to launch another playthrough now, DS1 is such a fantastic game.

I tried fighting the final battles several times trying to keep even one of the champion/heroes alive but had zero luck doing so, so I have no idea if there's any cool dialoge between the party and them at the end or not... If you manage to pull that off please post what happened because I'm itching to know...
IIRC they each say a line to the tune of "what an amazing, you're such a hero", but nothing really special. You do get more detailed lines if you go back to each of the villages and talk to the leaders there (especially in Teaquetzl, obviously).

This time I'm the one correcting you because I'm 100% sure of this :P You need to ally with both Cedrite and Gedron to trigger the sandstorm, the ruins and the endgame. The caravan (I'm guessing you mean the whole Magera segment) is entirely optional. The other 2 are both required.

As Darksun 2 is pretty linear, I found myself dead in the water when no matter how many times Arslan walked me to the Veiled Alliance Headquarters, when I went to use the button on the fountain to open the cabinet doors, nothing would happen. First I started doubting it could even *be* opened. So I loaded an ancient save game and, sure enough, the cabinet was opened in that game... I stared to think maybe a character or item I imported was causing the bug so I created 4 characters from scratch and got them to the same point in the game but had the *exact* same issue. Isat there frustrated for hours trying to figure out what could be different between lonag ago and now... Then it dawned on me... It was the speed of my PC and the differences between using an old physical PC and an emulator like DOSBOX... I started reading up on how to speed up and slow down the virtual processor in DOSBOX when, suddenly, I realized a *way* easier workaround... The issue seemed to be that my tapping of the keys, I couldn't quite keep up with Arslan. He'd get to the Veiled Alliance Headquarters and wouldn't wait two seconds for me to catch up. By the time I got to the Headquarters' door, Arslan was already halfway walking back to his house. Finally I realized that, if I *temporarily* turned off the Character Animations under the settings, the game moved lightning fast and I was actually able to get *ahead* of Arslan and wait for *him* at the Veiled Alliance Headquarters. When I did that, when he reaches you at the door, there is a short dialogue and he tells you to press the fountain button to open the cabinet stairway --- which is what unlocks it...
VentilatorOfDoom will be happy to know of this, IIRC he got stuck there a few years ago, and despite trying to help him neither of us could figure out what the hell was going on. Now we know!
Very cool...

Appreciate the clarifications and corrections... :)

Thanks for the info. I guess that means I can finally play that game again.
So glad to hear it. :)

I was going *nuts* trying to figure that one out... I really like the whole roleplaying system with sSI's Darksun (awful graphics and all) and would have been very bummed if it had stopped me from playing through the game altogether...

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
I think it's as or even more beneficial. I don't think I ever started a fresh party, always imported my SL party, but that one was always multiclassed (except when I have a Gladiator obviously). Ravager is more combat-intensive and having all casters multiclassed to fighter as well gives you a huge combat advantage, not to mention the level cap is still in place and you'll still hit it easily, unless for maybe some triple-classes.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Thanks. Started, beat the first fight, explored a bit.

Please refresh my memory since it's hazy: can I walk around so that the view scrolls with me? I'm already kind of fed up with pressing 'H' so frequently. Also, the scrolling and my animations are incredibly choppy. I don't remember SL playing so badly. Increasing cycles only makes everything go faster, but the choppiness stays there. Frameskip is set to 0. Does anyone know how I could try to make the game run smoother?

I already see the richness of detail I loved so much about the first game...

edit: DUH. Should've just used the keyboard! ;)

Last edited:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
DS2's engine is clunkier than 1's, and the choppiness is one of the symptoms. I don't think I ever found a solution to this, not even back in the days.

I thought the view scrolls with you like in DS1 if you just use the minimap to click at where you want to walk? But yeah walking around with arrow keys solves the problem too.

I don't like Ravager as much as SL but it's a good game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom