Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS need rts fix badly

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There's only so many times I can replay the starcraft 2 campaigns. :negative:

I'm looking for something 3d and fairly recent. I've played the living shit out of SC2, RA3, C&C3, age of empires 3, age of mythology, Dawn of War, and probably others I can't even remember. I didn't like grey goo, or act of aggression's predecessor, and AoA itself is getting anally sodomized in the reviews. can anyone recommend any rts with base building and resource collection that's been released in the last 7-10 years or so that I might've missed? No Total Annihilation clones like Supreme Commander please.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Needed a fix a couple weeks ago, played through the WC3 campaign on Hard. Did all the sidequests Pretty tough because I couldn't remember which units were best to use and I was using a wireless keyboard and mouse that kept messing up on and off.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Battle for Middle Earth series?
World in Conflict.
R.U.S.E.
Wargame series.
Ashes of Singularity. (meh)
Men of War.
Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak.

Regretfully most of them have little to no basebuilding.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Battlezone (1998) Remastered

Battlezone 1998 1.5 is faaaar superior. If you want to try it, hit me on PM and I'll give you the old non-remastered version.

It's completely superior (as the remaster is merely 1.5 with crappily made HR textures and crappier balance).

Your request is weird. Adding some.

Paraworld

Blitzkrieg
(it's a tad weird and Russian)

Perimeter

Treasure Planet: Battle on Whatever

SunAge: Battle For Elysium

MechCommander 1&2

EDIT: Desserts of Kharak is aggressively mediocre. Universe at War is far better.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I love how the guy asks for 3d and fairly recent and you all bombard him with games of any age and then you spit on my suggestions which actually fit his parameters.

Dayyālu

Arcane
I love how the guy asks for 3d and fairly recent and you all bombard him with games of any age and then you spit on my suggestions which actually fit his parameters.

RTS is a dying genre. I consider post-2000 "recent". I could even add stuff like the EndWar but that was heavily gimmicky. SunAge isn't 3d but it's good. MechCommander isn't that known, like BZ1998.

About shitting on DoK, it's easy: it has a lackluster campaign, very little variety, and dead MP (like everything else tbh). But it was one of the few RTS where I got at a point and went "meh, this is booring" and checked the ending on Youtube.

I can write an entire post on why DoK is mediocre, if thou liketh.

ArchAngel

Arcane

RTS is a dying genre. I consider post-2000 "recent". I could even add stuff like the EndWar but that was heavily gimmicky. SunAge isn't 3d but it's good. MechCommander isn't that known, like BZ1998.

About shitting on DoK, it's easy: it has a lackluster campaign, very little variety, and dead MP (like everything else tbh). But it was one of the few RTS where I got at a point and went "meh, this is booring" and checked the ending on Youtube.

I can write an entire post on why DoK is mediocre, if thou liketh.
No need. I played it, finished it and liked it enough. I had low FPS on my computer at the time and some missions were harder than needed because of that.
It is not a game I would play again every few years (like I do with Starcraft) but it was good enough. Also it fits recent parameter much more than anything on these lists. He mentioned other recent games like Grey Goo or AoA so I assume to him recent means last 5 years or so.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sounds like DoW3 will fit your requirements. Though... that will be in a while and likely expensive.

What about those 8-Bit Armies/Invasion/Horder/Arena games? They look like very classic gameplay.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
and likely expensive.

:smug:

I'm replaying Emperor: Battle for Dune (the graphics really haven't aged well at all though, it's painful to look at despite being one of my favorite games of all time).

Going through the list, most of the suggestions aren't what I'm looking for but I've found 2-3 of them and will give them a spin. SunAge looks the most promsiing but I'm broke, it'll have to wait a bit.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Armies of Exigo. It is kinda like Warcraft 3 but the army limit is normal and without the whole upkeep thing.

already played it, it was better than WC3 but since it was intended to be similar the stench of it was still there.

Blonsky

Prophet
Spellforce 2 Anniversary edition was released yesterday(but i dont see mayor changes in it), but it has less unit limit then W3 if i remeber it correctly; and alot of RPG elements in it.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
SunAge: Battle For Elysium

This looked like exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Then I played it... how the fuck can someone screw up the interface so badly? Why the hell do all these shitty devs try to reinvent the fucking wheel?Good RTS interfaces are a dime a dozen. You can literally just copy something off one of the dozen + great RTSs and phone it in. Instead, some genius decides that you shouldn't be able to drag select two units of different types at the same time. Don't even get me started on the campaign. horrible voice acting and writing aside, I was on the second mission, enemies were literally appearing out of thin air. got the construction vehicles destroyed, which should have ended the mission... except the devs even fail at failing.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
No Total Annihilation clones like Supreme Commander please.

1. TA is the best RTS ever made
2. Supreme Commander is not a clone but a "spiritual successor" (ie a sequel without the (((license))))
3. Both of those utterly destroy any other 3D rts out there.
4. If you weren't a massive faggot by insisting on 3D, I would suggest Dark Reign, the second best RTS ever made, or Rise of Nations, the 2nd and a half best RTS ever made.
5. Unfortunately, you are a massive faggot (see 4)

Therefore, you are shit out of luck.

And a fag.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
i've played both Dark Reign and Rise of Nations to death (in fact Dark Reign was the first RTS I ever played when I was a kid). I insisted on 3D because I've played virtually every old RTS and was hoping there was something new I missed.

PS: TA is soulless shit, and so are its successors. I can't think of anything more boring than endless robot armies consiting of small spergy deviations from each other.

I'm giving BattleRealms a try now and despite the warcraft-like graphics it seems pretty entertaining.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom