Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shock Tactics

Quatlo

Arcane
Unlocks in less than 1 hour so the Privateer shoud set sails pretty soon ArchAngel :D
It actually looks pretty okayish, I might check it out too.

Severian Silk

Judging by the video, the graphics are kind of lost in a riot of color. I bet it causes eye strain/mental fatigue. I'm not advocating everything must be grimdark, bloom & sepia, or ultra-minimalist lights and darks, but this game is too extreme.

R9D9MbA.png

For instance, why do these crates need to be blue *and* yellow? These are some of the most contrasting colors. Blue is the darkest color and yellow is the lightest color. Who would want to paint all these crates two different colors? Why would you pay someone to do this? It is totally unnecessary. Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
For instance, why do these crates need to be blue *and* yellow? These are some of the most contrasting colors. Blue is the darkest color and yellow is the lightest color. Who would want to paint all these crates two different colors? Why would you pay someone to do this? It is totally unnecessary. Thoughts?
My thought: You've never been to a modern dock.
general-view-of-vuosaari-docks-in-helsinki-is-pictured-on-march-25-picture-id98034678

The containers are pretty colorful.
Though you are also correct, since usually containers look far more "worn" and definitely less saturated.

And yes, the game's graphics have multiple elements that clash with each other. Would have needed some more design iteration, no doubt.

Severian Silk

The crates in my screenshot are actually blue *and* yellow *and* gray *and* white, with cute little squares and handles, etc. etc. The crates in your photo are mainly one solid color with a bit of text. Text gets processed by a different part of the brain, so it is not as distracting, and therefore doesn't count much.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There's no doubt the crates in that game are too colorful, and yes, that is weird and over-designed, but I really don't think you'd suddenly get strain from that.
If at all, you'd get some fatigue from some UI elements clashing with the rest.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Added to my wishlist but looking at this, it looks to copy nu-XCOM for better or worse.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
This game is decent. It isn't bad at all. I think people's real problem with it is the difficulty. Even on normal I had to restart a couple missions. And there are missions you can't do without some level and equipment upgrades that are available from the get go.

The base building is pretty basic so far, and there doesn't seem to be a weapon/armor research function (so far), but I did unlock some new armor and weapons I can make with the right resources. Some base upgrades require the same resources.

Exploring is the meat of the game. You can tell from early combat and what I can see that combat is going to really open up and improve later, but for now it is spray and pray. You get new squad mates through missions, you get your resources through missions (and continuously if that mission unlocks a mine or something).

This is kind of like a HoMM and XCom hybrid. I really liked the new XComs base building, but thought the combat was so-so without the Longwar mods. Not bad, but not great like ToEE or Blackguards. I think this game may have the potential to beat it in later levels (as a guess from the character building options I've seen).

I hope there are a lot of hidden base building options that open up too because the main base is pretty lite options-wise so far. I think this game is well worth the money, especially if you like high risk combat.

One thing I miss from JA and the new XComs that I do not believe is in this game is your characters getting worse at everything the more damaged they are. I think that is something that is really a necessity in these types of games.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
your characters getting worse at everything the more damaged they are

The option exists for XCOM, the red fog second wave option which unlock once you've finished the game on normal difficulty.

It is also base LW I think. It just makes sense. The first time I noticed this was in JA and always wondered why it wasn't a staple. Just like no saving during combat.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Sorry guys/gals, I changed my mind. At the moment the game is not ever worth "demoing". If they keep patching, fixing and improving it some day I might try it. It is a shame, I had higher expectations. It seems the stuff they talked about in earlier dev videos are not even in the game now.
Seems they ran out of funds, had to cut many features and released a buggy unpolished game.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So nobody gave this a try? Do we have so many XCOM clones nowadays that we choose to neglect some? What has become of this world? Where are we going?

flyingjohn

Arcane
So nobody gave this a try? Do we have so many XCOM clones nowadays that we choose to neglect some? What has become of this world? Where are we going?
From steam reviews it seems the game is buggy and just mediocre overall.
Why would you waste your time on a mediocre clone when you can be playing the original with mods or even the new xcom with long war.

ArchAngel

Arcane
This game promised to bring cool new stuff to the genre and instead if brought an unpolished buggy game without anything new.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I played for about 30 min. It's uglier and run worse than XCOM, movement feel sluggish and the gameplay was too static.

what a shame, but i should have expected it since when i saw a screenshot and it looked exactly like xcom.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also, I did not played a lot, but it did not look like you could destroy cover with explosives, which were missing, at least for the portion I played (making the gameplay very static).

agris

Arcane
Patron
did anyone with a greater attention span try the game?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom