Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix NieR: Automata from Yoko Taro and Platinum Games

spekkio

Arcane
Good luck with not using a gaypad for 3D brawlers... :roll:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Weeel, I do suck at fighting games and don't play much of them. Doubly so, as my reflexes aren't getting better.
M+K is perfectly fine for 95% of the games I like to play, though.
It works very well in games such as Dark Souls, Dragons Dogma or Nier: Automata. Well, except the goddamn hacking minigames in the latter.
It worked well for me in DMC4. I'll be fine, don't worry.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Good luck with not using a gaypad for 3D brawlers... :roll:
kb+m is perfectly fine, especially when you realize lock on works in hacking minigame.

There is no lock on starting with hard and who plays this on normal anyway?

I do. Granted, on route B it generally is enough for me to sneeze in the general enemy direction for them to fall over... but that's kinda good, as I want to get this repeated chapter over with and get some new content ASAP. I understand why the game has been designed this way, with the perspective of different characters, but I don't necessarily agree with this. Let me choose at the beginning - 2B or 9S - or after chapter select, rather then forcing me to go trough basically the same content twice.

Route A was mostly easy also, still there were some challenging moments, some I even didn't beat, such as Lord of the Valley quest, or the cowboy droids at the desert. Oh, and the golden driods, but those were simply a mountain of hps.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Well, yeah, that's what I partially did on route B. Although they were much easier to take down with weaponry then as well - except the small one. I've also seen the small one + tank at the desert. Tank went down really fast though. Don't know if I got the material out of them or not :) Will probably see eventually.

Dayyālu

Arcane
It truly runs like shit for the graphical quality ( optimizer software and Borderless gaming installed) but for now it's charming. I mean, the closest I got to a Jap action game was Dark Souls 1, and this is a relaxing breeze in comparison.

I do feel that for now (nearing the third boss) it's just the enviromental storytelling and not the characters that keep me interested. 2B and 9S's char design is kinda pure cancer for a non-animu audience (I can't take seriously a battle android dressed like that, tbh. I'd have preferred less fap bait and more....utilitarian designs, but it's Japan after all). I swear if the Yoko Taroish reveal is as trite as it seems I will be disappointed, but I still hope it's merely toying with me.

Worthy 20 bucks I guess, not much more. Lucky us for cheap key reseller sites.

I'll honestly admit that if someone asked me in the last decade if a Yoko Taro game would be the one to kick a Mass Effect game in the teeth I would have expressed some doubts. We live in interesting times.

And how the heck do you pet the Pod? Saw that in a screenshot.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
DLC Gameplay

CEO Bossfight

Rewards in the video apparently are placeholders, if it has decent enemy scaling and unique fights it might be worth it to dick around some more.

According to the announcement all 3 elevators will have different types of the coliseum, some being more difficult than others. DLC comes in a combination with both the coliseum aswell as the 3 cosmetics for 2B(Kaine), 9S(young Brother Nier) and A2(old Brother Nier).

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Only someone crazy as Taro would have you fight the president of Square Enix as a super-boss. :lol::lol:
I half-expected them to go wild like Senator Armstrong, too bad it didn't happen.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
It's actually the second time Yosuke Matsuda shows up in a DLC, they already did the same thing for the FF:XV DLC. Not sure if that was a decent DLC (fuck everything after FF IX), but he apparently voiced a bunch of stuff for the Automata fight, including new vocals for the background music. They changed the 'Become As Gods' in the Birth A Wish track to "I'm the CEO" (atleast in tha japanese version, not sure if the english one will get a translation).

I'd personally like a more sophisticated DLC, with some more backstory for the 2B/9S relationship (theres a short-story that hasn't been translated yet where 9S actually tries to kill 2B first which would make a great prequel-like DLC for example), aswell as an actual NG+ with scaling enemies so you can enjoy the full game with all weapons/pod upgrades without one-shotting everything up until Route C.
This DLC makes sense though, since it must've already been in development or could've been put together in a rather short time. Noone expected the game to be as commercially successful as it was, story-heavy DLC generally gets planned after the fact and not in advance (except for AAA budget titles which get milked on release already).

Last edited:

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Self-destruct works with the new costumes.
mWwZDf2.gif

According to Taro there is one more thing in the DLC besides the costumes and the coliseums. The DLC is named 3C3C1D119440927, which apparently stands for:
3 costumes, 3 coliseums, 1 dream, date (Year 11944, September 27th).

Ivan

Arcane
tried the game for 2 hours. music is lovely and Platinum's animations are always top notch. I must ask, aside from character models, does everything in this game look :prosper:?

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Some of the environments are very nice, particularly the abandoned factory. I liked the design of the robots too.

Ivan

Arcane
i stopped playing in the ruins, once you get to the resistance settlement. pretty huge, empty and boring. i was surprised you cant teleport through the save vending machines

AN4RCHID

Arcane
i was surprised you cant teleport through the save vending machines
you can, later. It's also a pretty small world. You won't spend a huge amount of time in transit, even on subsequent playthroughs.

It's definitely a case of weak first impressions. the intro is particularly dull. It gets a lot more charm and personality after the first couple areas, and continues to get better into the 2nd and 3rd playthroughs.

Ivan

Arcane
I'm sure, and I wasn't shitting on the game, it's just as you said, it makes a poor first impression with the ruins environment.
but holy shit was the music good. i'll pick it up once I upgrade my rig in the summer

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Yeah, after mixed initial impressions, the game grew on me. The character customization via Chips, the various cool Pod programs, the awesome animations and fluidity, the pleasant to look at main character(s). And yes, last but not least, the awesome soundtrack.

Dayyālu

Arcane
The Amusement Park sold it to me.

When both the player and the main character go "What the fuck" it means that at least the game managed to surprise me, not a small feat in the sadly boring gaming worlds of today.

And again, what the fuck. Gotta love the Operator banter, it's so full of non-sequitur moments to be somewhat funny.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Looks like the coliseum DLC will be the only one for a while unless it sells very well. I was suspecting that it was in development prior to the release already, what with the entrance to the DLC already being available ingame.

In an interview with Famitsu where Yoko Taro discussed his new mobile game SINoALICE as well as Automata, he also said the following:
There's no money or strength left to make something on the NieR:Automata side. For development of a console game, it shuts once it's released. PlatinumGames is flexible with cooperating, but as it's already a released product, it's not like I can drag it on forever, so there's a limit to what I can request

Interesting interview all around.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Considering he came out from a sweatshop studio that made horrible games just to survive (Cavia), it's kinda obvious.

But one has to love the man. How many devs say "The protagonist is female because I like women and I'm here for the money?"

A good artisan values its craft, he does not value the "experience with the fans".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom