Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games you like from genres you hate

Xzar

Augur
I thought it might be interesting to share such recommendations. Post something if you hate particular genre, but liked a few games from it for some reason. For many, such recommendation might be more useful as it wont be clouded by fanboyism of any kind.

I was inspired by Bayonetta release - I hate slashers, never liked single game from this genre, but now thats it on Steam I'm wondering if I will like it. Once upon a time I hated FPSes. Only decline of RPGs, manifesting in Mass Effect which I did play, made me ease my judgment and try few more games from it. This way I really liked Far Cry 2 and 3. 2 was more important case, as I liked it despite FPS fans trashing this game for overt realism and GTA sandboxiness, both features which I liked. I still find it boring to play pure meat-and-grind linear FPSes like Doom and Wolfenstein.

So, right now i'm kinda neutral to FPS, but still hate slashers, MMOs and RTSes. Out of those, slasher - cant recommend anything, MMO- could be Elite Dangerous, though that is more space sim with MMO elements rather than proper MMO, RTS - Starcraft and obscure game Dark Colony.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
jRPG - Suikoden 1 and 2, Front Mission series.
MMO - I guess Elite Dangerous, I played it for some time. ED is kind of shit with some redeeming quality, I don't like the direction they are taking it though (more mmo-ish grinding and unnecessary crap).

RuySan

Augur
Definitely metal gear reveangance. Not much into slashers (dmc4 made me sleep), but this was something else. Maybe I should play bayonetta too.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Don't like FPS genre (I get shitfaced for it but never liked original Doom, Wolf or Quake when I got my first PC somewhere before new millennium started) but I can play Stalker games and mods for them any time. Especially when there is mod translating scene in potato. Perfect mix of hectic action FPS genre with some realistic limits flavor (inb4 "hoarders.jpg" get posted).
Supreme Commander - I suck at this game and whole genre BADLY yet still return to that game even though it's inferior Total Annihilation bastard sequel.
Hopkins FBI - not into point'n'click games and game is terrible but the music was so gud :love: even when used terribly ("Lost Girl" by Troggs when you pay a visit to your gf that you realized is kidnapped).

And there is that strange thing with my preferences toward action RPGs aka hack'n'slash genre, where most of the praised titles like Diablo2 get me sleep but some mediocre or bad titles (like Legend: Hand of God) are more entertaining for me.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I don't think I hate any genre in particular. My hatred is more aimed at certain developers that chose to linger in the same tracks for years on end.

There are naturally some genres that I don't like or rarely play. Flight simulators for example. I still recommend LHX Attack Chopper for its versatile gameplay due to the four choppers available, and I have much respect for games like Their Finest Hour: The Battle for Britain, Secret Weapons of the Lüftwaffe and Red Baron.

jRPGs are incredibly formulaic, but even I can recommend playing Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 4 and 6 at the very least.

canakin

Cipher
I don't like Jap shit but I enjoyed all the Ys games I played. 4 or 5 of them I think. Also I dislike rtwp systems but I liked Tyranny, might even play a couple more times in the future to see different paths.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Not into racing games at all, but I really like F-Zero and Mario Kart.

I don't like Puzzle Platformers either but the game And Yet It Moves was really fun and addicting.

Also, loathe RTS, but Dawn of War was pretty damn good.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Anachronox is the only JRPG I'll ever play.

I left out Anachronox from my jRPG count-up because I don't consider the game to be one, both because it's written by Canadians and therefore isn't as formulaic as jRPGs tend to be, and also because the jRPG aspects are so trivial that the toughest fights are in the first part of the game. Once you have a couple of Cobolt Beetles they might as well not bother with the random encounters.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm horrible at adventure games but I have a soft spot for the Samorost series. They're beautiful and fairly simple, so probably not for someone looking for a challenge but for me they have the perfect ratio of progressing and trying things out while being stuck, they're the only ones I've ever completed without getting frustrated and looking up solutions.

Racing games I like two: Plane Crazy and the Star Wars pod racing game. Road Rash was pretty cool too, I guess. Not my genre in general though.

I also played the shit out of Samurai Shodown II back in the day but it just sort of happened because my friends at the time were playing it, I've tried some other fighting games over the years but I never got into any of them.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I generally dislike first-person shooters, but class Deus Ex as among the best games of all time, though this is somewhat cheating since Deus Ex is a hybrid shooter/stealth game with RPG elements, and in any case it's one of the Codex's favorite games. However, I've also enjoyed the ArmA series of realistic military shooters, by Bohemia Interative, although they're entirely different from anything else I like.

Vorark

Erudite
I'm not much into driving sims, but Euro Truck 2 is very relaxing. I swear it's the 80's radio.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sport games. I'm not interested in sports at all. Still Football Manager from 2009 is my most played game on Steam. I guess you could argue that is more of a manager type genre... still sports though :)

Jokzore

Arbiter
Tales from the Borderlands - I hate adventure games, they don't require as much input from the player as other games, but I cant take my hands off the keyboard and mouse and just enjoy it like i would a movie , it just feels uncomfortable.

edit: Also despise walking simulators for a lot of the same reasons , but Stanley Parable was kinda cute. I'd say Firewatch as well, if it didn't fizzle out and deliver what has to be the most disappointing conclusion to any mystery ever.

pippin

for a modern shooter, the darkness 2 was pretty fun. good, short, with character, and Mike Patton doing crazy voices.

also you will never hug jenny again

also thAT FUCKING CLIFFHANGER ENDING

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Never liked new GTA type of games but I love Saints Row 2.

Also never liked JRPGs, with one exception of a brilliant cult classic that captured imaginations of countless people.

igKY5ac.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom