Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

BG:EE pixelation

Severian Silk

Do the devs ever explain why sprites are so pixelated when "zooming" in? Do they ever say whether if they were able to re-render the game's sprites?

Mustawd

Why are you asking this here?

Why aren't you asking on Beamdog forums?

Why are you even playing a shitty Bioware game?

Why is Bioware subforum not in General Gaming forum?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Why would the devs explain such elementary graphics shit to idiots like you?

Do you know how time consuming it is to redraw sprites to a higher rez? Then ppl complain it's not authentic.

Retardo.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
The original assets were "lost".

Even if they were not, re-rendering everything and adjusting it for high resolution is something you can't do on the cheap like the EEs are made.

Beamdog is no Blizzard.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Wasn't the story that all the assets were stored on one computer in the basement at bioware and got destroyed when the basement flooded?

Severian Silk

Yeah, I have found a source that says they lost the data in a flood. But I might need a source that says that's that's the reason they made the decision to stick with the original unmodified sprites. They had other options: they could have made new sprites, or used real-time mesh-based character models like ToEE, etc. etc. These other factors may have influenced their decision making as well. (My hands are tied in this regard. I can't just assume why they did what they did.)

Mustawd

They had other options:

they could have made new sprites

That would not have looked like the originals. Which would have made people mad

or used real-time mesh-based character models like ToEE

Which people would bitch about because they were not sprites. Look at the TOEE IWD conversion thread. People bitch about this exact thing.

etc. etc.

Nice options

Severian Silk

http://kotaku.com/the-struggle-to-bring-back-baldur-s-gate-after-17-years-1768303595

He went on to tell me that Beamdog had to reverse-engineer basically everything: new character sprites, rigging, levels, camera angles/distance, and even fake camera lenses. “I think we’re about 90-95% new code at this point,” said Beamdog president Trent Oster. They also had to create a new style guide, a tome to reference when asking, “Is this thing we’re making in the spirit of Baldur’s Gate?” It was all a very long, sometimes arduous learning process.

What does this mean?

Mustawd

http://kotaku.com/the-struggle-to-bring-back-baldur-s-gate-after-17-years-1768303595

He went on to tell me that Beamdog had to reverse-engineer basically everything: new character sprites, rigging, levels, camera angles/distance, and even fake camera lenses. “I think we’re about 90-95% new code at this point,” said Beamdog president Trent Oster. They also had to create a new style guide, a tome to reference when asking, “Is this thing we’re making in the spirit of Baldur’s Gate?” It was all a very long, sometimes arduous learning process.

What does this mean?

It probably means the interviewer sucked at keeping notes and put that quote in the wrong section. He was most likely talking about Siege of Dragonspear, which was discussed in the following section. Why would they need to re-engineer sprites just to make them just as blurry? Makes like zero sense. But it's Beamdawg, so who knows.

Sherry

Arcane
Hi.

Good day it is nice to meet you despite prison bars you wear I do not know what kind of trouble you have gotten yourself in the past before I arrived but I hope you find your way eventually okay?

The original art assets were lost due to being stored on a data tape which got moisture damage from a flood where it was being stored in a garage but not in "some guys" it just was not what they wanted to do by naming this person to the ragmag media but whoever would have thought these games would get a revamp for modern systems some 15 to 17 years later right so not their fault truly who knew it would happen when the tape was tossed into a Husky toolbox in the corner of the garage on top of a spare tire right? gosh this stuff happens even with books when we think they are okay in the loft of a garage but it gets hot in the summer and the pages curl and go yellow and there goes the Hardy Boys collection in one full swoop.

Anyways that is why it does not look so good fully zoomed in on modern systems with high resolution because the psp files were gone.

Thanks,
Sherry

A horse of course

thanks sherry

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom