Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Shovel Knight, the Specter Knight expansion. If plague of shadows was a replay of the vanilla levels with tweaks here and there, this expansion redoes the whole game with new stages that feel like the old ones. The story bits are less engaging than the plague one so far, and items are a lot less relevant, but who cares if the core game is good.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Fallout 2. The start is just as boring as the start of F1.
And the lack of "fog of war" is still lame.
But I'm sure that like F1 it will improve dramatically once entering the big world.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Shovel Knight, the Specter Knight expansion. If plague of shadows was a replay of the vanilla levels with tweaks here and there, this expansion redoes the whole game with new stages that feel like the old ones. The story bits are less engaging than the plague one so far, and items are a lot less relevant, but who cares if the core game is good.
Correction, there are 1-2 items that are useful in every level. The rest ranges from situational to irrelevant.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I beat Digital Devil Saga. It was the first time that I took down all the optional bosses. It was also the first time that I beat the enemy Samael. I always run away from that sucker.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Plodding on in Fallout 2. I think I've never played a game with more mind numblingly boring trash combat than this one.
"Tactics" consists of ending turn at some distance from an enemy, wait for the enemy to use up its action points on movement, then whack it once or twice until it's dead, then move towards next creature, rince and repeat a few hundred times.
And people complain about Baldur's Gate having too much trash combat. :D

In F1 the trash combat phase was relatively short, with Vault 15 being the worst place, but in F2 it lasts far too long with the endless rat caves, and I'm not enjoying the game much. It feels more like a chore than fun.

But I was lukewarm to F1 (and Baldur's Gate for that matter) in the beginning too, so I guess there is still hope at the end of the rat caves.

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
I got back into Furi. This game is really tough but really fun. I beat the third boss that I failed to beat months ago.
One of the best past year. Third's a pain. It gets better :D
I've gone up to beating the fifth boss.

My time with the game is funny actually. I started playing it when it was free for ps plus. I remember beating the first boss and then the 2nd boss taking me over a month to finally beat.
I tried the 3rd boss and died a bunch and went off the game for almost a year to play other games (bloodborne, Gat out of hell, dark souls 3, etc. ) came back to it last week and kept getting my ass kicked by the third boss. I even forgot the controls and shit.

After beating him I pretty much figured out the game. I beat the 4th and 5th boss after 3 deaths each.
The trick was timing the parries and constantly exploiting charged attacks and the powered up sword when in single combat.

I will say that the games bosses are very varied so far but if the game ends up playing like I'm expecting then the mechanics might not be varied or deep enough to keep it from being boring in the long run.

Perhaps I had a better time around this time because I've been playing bloodborne and demons souls for the past couple of months and it follows the same principles of learning boss patterns but Furi is more reactive and needs better twitch skills while the gameplay in souls games are more varied.

It also reminds me of shadow of the Colossus. Furi is the 2nd game I've played that is just made of bosses.

laclongquan

Arcane
Plodding on in Fallout 2. I think I've never played a game with more mind numblingly boring trash combat than this one.
"Tactics" consists of ending turn at some distance from an enemy, wait for the enemy to use up its action points on movement, then whack it once or twice until it's dead, then move towards next creature, rince and repeat a few hundred times.
And people complain about Baldur's Gate having too much trash combat. :D

In F1 the trash combat phase was relatively short, with Vault 15 being the worst place, but in F2 it lasts far too long with the endless rat caves, and I'm not enjoying the game much. It feels more like a chore than fun.

But I was lukewarm to F1 (and Baldur's Gate for that matter) in the beginning too, so I guess there is still hope at the end of the rat caves.

You are playing it safe with rat battles so of fucking course it's boring, duh~ And why the hell do you whacking rats in the first place? Outside of the Temple, I mean? You got a pipe rifle in Vic's shack that the game practically point you to (unless you dont like to gather clue). Its only reason to exist there is to help you pass the rat battles in 1st town if you dont like to play melee. And only until you get your first pistol in the rat tunnel. YOu have no reason at all to play conservative with that.

Dumb idiot player is dumb.

Git gud, scrub!

octavius

Arcane
Patron
You are playing it safe with rat battles so of fucking course it's boring, duh~ And why the hell do you whacking rats in the first place? Outside of the Temple, I mean?

For the XP? Got two levels just for whacking rats.
And it's not like the Pipe Gun or pistol is so much more effecient and swifter.

EDIT Also, first time playing a game it's hard to refrain from playing conservatively, as you never know when there is an unavoidable fight where you will be at a severe disadvantage if you ran past all the combat XP.

Last edited:

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I've gone up to beating the fifth boss.

My time with the game is funny actually. I started playing it when it was free for ps plus. I remember beating the first boss and then the 2nd boss taking me over a month to finally beat.
I tried the 3rd boss and died a bunch and went off the game for almost a year to play other games (bloodborne, Gat out of hell, dark souls 3, etc. ) came back to it last week and kept getting my ass kicked by the third boss. I even forgot the controls and shit.

After beating him I pretty much figured out the game. I beat the 4th and 5th boss after 3 deaths each.
The trick was timing the parries and constantly exploiting charged attacks and the powered up sword when in single combat.

I will say that the games bosses are very varied so far but if the game ends up playing like I'm expecting then the mechanics might not be varied or deep enough to keep it from being boring in the long run.

Perhaps I had a better time around this time because I've been playing bloodborne and demons souls for the past couple of months and it follows the same principles of learning boss patterns but Furi is more reactive and needs better twitch skills while the gameplay in souls games are more varied.

It also reminds me of shadow of the Colossus. Furi is the 2nd game I've played that is just made of bosses.
Titan Souls is next for you!

The mechanics do not change, the boss variety is what keeps the game afloat. The game isn't that long to get boring. Boss 2-3 and 7 took me a while, yet not enough to be frustrating.

laclongquan

Arcane
You are playing it safe with rat battles so of fucking course it's boring, duh~ And why the hell do you whacking rats in the first place? Outside of the Temple, I mean?

For the XP? Got two levels just for whacking rats.
And it's not like the Pipe Gun or pistol is so much more effecient and swifter.

EDIT Also, first time playing a game it's hard to refrain from playing conservatively, as you never know when there is an unavoidable fight where you will be at a severe disadvantage if you ran past all the combat XP.
Like I said: Git Gud, Scrub!

if you play throw you can get a bunch of throwing spear from the temple.
If you play small gun you get that pipe gun to shoot. The next rat tunnel you get the better gun, a pistol. You got a few of rounds for free around the town and can buy some more. What are you saving them for?
You dont have to whack a mole but you intentionally try it... What? Just so you can cherry pick the game?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
The whining and "git gud" attitudes don't change the fact that the first part of Fallout 2 can be grating on a player.

There are 4 tough fights that can be started just in Klamath and The Den: Going after the rats, saving Smiley the Trapper, attacking Metzger's gang and doing Lara's questline. All of them are optional and can be done at a later date (though I faintly recall Smiley's quest having a generous time limit on it) but doing so robs the player of valuable XP needed to be strong enough for the other fights. And even so, Metzger's gang may be too much for a low-level player, even after he's done everything else in Klamath and The Den.

The real problem starts when getting to Vault City from The Den. It's a long walk, and the random encounters on that route can easily both help and hinder a player, as large gangs appear that are far better equipped than the player. If the player took his time and went through all the possible quests and fights en route, he has a good chance of reaching Vault City in one piece. If not, he's better off running and/or hiding. Clever players will hope for an encounter where two well-equipped gangs are duking it out, and try to scavenge weapons from the dead. But before Vault City can be even useful to the player there's first the matter of the Vault City/Gecko quest line - which involves going BACK to The Den (though that is needed to get the car up and running anyway as the missing car part is in Gecko).

Only once the player is (mostly) done with the Gecko quests AND has the car up and running, does the game pick up and get fun.

Another problem is that in these opening steps of the game there are plenty of skill and stat checks, and a player hoping to benefit from these will have to spread out his character build early on, and it gets worse if killapp's Unofficial Addon is in play. IIRC I don't even start spending points into combat skills until I've reached Level 10 or so at the earliest.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Funny, I killed a ton of Geckos in Fallout 2 so far, but didn't get one single pelt out of it...

With business finished in Klamath for now, the journey continues to hopefully more exciting endeavours.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Funny, I killed a ton of Geckos in Fallout 2 so far, but didn't get one single pelt out of it...

With business finished in Klamath for now, the journey continues to hopefully more exciting endeavours.
Did you get the perk for it? Gecko skinning from Smiley the trapper? Because you can't get the skins without the perk.

Perkel

Arcane
Doing some small replay of TW3 with Enhanced edition mod. Screenshots i made:

nAgyXHg.jpg

2NmsF4W.jpg

Vwyn9GL.jpg

2cSRup9.jpg

rXIS8Fc.jpg

xuWE9j3.jpg

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Did you get the perk for it? Gecko skinning from Smiley the trapper? Because you can't get the skins without the perk.

I thought I had talked to Smiley after returning to Klamath, but obviously not. Tried again and this time I got the perk.
But after a short meeting with Herr Flick in The Den my economic situation has increased dramatically. With the amount of profanity he was spewing you'd think he could handle receiving some back without getting suicidal...not that I'm complaining, of course.

GloomFrost

Arcane
Trying to give dead state another chance. Oh man this game could have easily become a cult classic. RPGs without fantasy elements are very rare anyway and this one also has top notch dialogues and characters. But that stupid, monotones combat........ oh man

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom