Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Sword Coast Legends - RIP n-Space!

sstacks

Arcane
I definitely think that hurt it.... people wanted an updated NWN. It SORT OF is D&D 5E but massively tweaked.

I'm totally sympathetic to your position, I respect all the hardwork that you've done trying to bring attention to the niche CRPG genre, and I absolutely believe you when you say that the game is a decent little aRPG (a genre that I occasionally enjoy).

Here's my issue with SCL: Their press announcement was (in my view) intentionally vague and misleading. It was cynically designed to capitalize on the nostalgia and tastes of 80s/90s era gamers. Their ensuing advertising/social media campaign only encouraged this sort of attention, and, while I am no game designer, it seems clear to me that AT LEAST SOMEONE on the team must have known they were misrepresenting themselves.

To reduce this to a Codex level analogy:

It's like finding a prostitute who tells you that she offers anal sex. You take her to a hotel, broach the topic of anal sex, and then proceed to get pegged by the prostitute you've just hired. Sure it's not the end of the world, hell, maybe it's even enjoyable! but it is violating, and it is a misrepresentation of the services offered.

There's merit to that. They wanted to cash in on the D&D CRPG feels while "expanding the idea of what D&D is" along with WOTC.

By the time I became aware of the game it was pretty clear it wasn't a faithful turn based adaptation of 5E and also didn't have the same type of tools as NWN so I didn't experience geek rage.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Are there various difficulty levels, and is the game challenging at all?

I can't remember off hand if there are difficulty levels, but I would would say most of the game is easy-average with an occasional tough fight popping up.

Agreed. I played it on Normal difficulty and probably 98% of the fights can be won just by sending in one character to soak up the aggro while everyone else blasts away at range.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
I should have known better, and I did but my buddies wanted to play co-op. I knew it would be shit after reading about its development and release and reception here, but hanging out with buddies, maybe *that'll* make it better. Should have gone with my instincts.

Then I thought, maybe I'll just use the editor and make a half decent mission. Nope. It's literally ASS-BACKWARDS. What is an 'ass-backwards' editor you might ask because it's a valid question. You have to make the mission in reverse. I'm not kidding. Trying to edit or modify or change things you've already created, nope.

It's not so much the money I paid (a deep discount soon after release as I re-call). It's not that I knew better and just decided to dive in because of peer-pressure. It's not that it didn't have anything to do with D&D at all except for some class names and spells like 'fireball' and that the games sucks.

It's because the editor was amazingly stupid and I wasted a lot of time coming to that conclusion. Got burned on so many fronts with that game and I knew better long before going in. Sometimes we all make mistakes.

Lhynn

Arcane
Just play the OC, its fairly enjoyable to tide you over between games. Other than that NOPE.

Deleted Member 16721

Agreed. I played it on Normal difficulty and probably 98% of the fights can be won just by sending in one character to soak up the aggro while everyone else blasts away at range.

Thanks! :)

Are you saying there are difficulty levels above Normal, then? If so, it could be interesting for me if it provides somewhat of a tactical challenge on higher difficulties...

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Tactical challenge? You are a funny guy. So many noobs, so many rehashes of the same old thing. Never ending influx of virgins that don't know how to use google search.

site:rpgcodex.net sword coast legends

Play it. Make a two hour video explaining what you think.

Sacibengala

Prophet
I know this game is the worst thing that happenend to the world before the infamous siege of dragonspear came around (good times). But now it is like 6 bucks on the psn (yes, consoles) and I wish to know if someone that played it think it could worth this much for a console game and if I should play it with my poor fellow that only have a ps4 and had his pc stolen by drug addicts.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
It sucks. I got it cheap finally awhile back, played it for a bit... and, yeah, it sucks. Load times alone make it annoying. Throw in the shitty thing they pass as 'D&D'... Fuck 'em. But at $6 go ahead and try it. It'll be your 30minutes to waste.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I know this game is the worst thing that happenend to the world before the infamous siege of dragonspear came around (good times). But now it is like 6 bucks on the psn (yes, consoles) and I wish to know if someone that played it think it could worth this much for a console game and if I should play it with my poor fellow that only have a ps4 and had his pc stolen by drug addicts.
Play something else. Divinity: Original Sin, or anything else, really.

Sacibengala

Prophet
Play something else. Divinity: Original Sin, or anything else, really.

I played original sin a lot with my friends. Day one purchase that one. I'm just waiting the second one to get out of early access to play it too. But this game I didn't had the guts to play on pc. And is so hard to find something crpg like to play on console, coop or otherwise, that I'm considering that thing.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
Don't believe the negative reviews, SCL is a decent rpg set in Faerun. I'm telling you guys it's not that bad at all. I think it's well put together and simple for a light hearted stroll about the Sword Coast.

Believe me...

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
I actually thought SCL was pretty decent for what it was. It's not a good D&D simulator when it comes to the rules, I'll admit that. And I definitely wouldn't buy it for the toolset, which is half complete at best. But as a game, it wasn't horrible and I found it entertaining enough to finish. It wouldn't make the top ten D&D games of all time or anything, but it's not nearly as bad as some people claim, and much much better than some of the worst D&D licensed games, that's for sure.

Lhynn

Arcane
Yep, not a bad game on its own right. If you got 60 hours to kill and nothing to have fun with till the next good game getting released, this can fill the time just fine.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It is on sale until it will be pulled from Steam, at the end of the year.
Gather your party for epic adventures before Sword Coast Legends disappears forever at the end of December, 2017!

Purchase Sword Coast Legends now at 67% off and receive the Rage of Demons DLC for free. Our publishing contracting is ending, but although Sword Coast Legends will no longer be available to purchase after December, its multiplayer servers will remain live indefinitely.
I'm baffled that WOTC licensing strategy is so retarded (I'm not talking about pulling this one from the store, but not getting any proper TB or even faithful RTwP game out).
As much as I was puzzled by Games Workshop shotgun strategy, it was miles better than what they are doing at WOTC.
Edit: Do you need an account for the SP and to play coop with friends?
Because assuming the servers will be up forever like they promise might not lead to the wisest course of action otherwise.

Last edited:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
If the game is not available for you on Steam (like it was for me), you can still buy it from Gamersgate, but probably only today.
Paging felipepepe since he might need it for the CRPG book.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
If the game is not available for you on Steam (like it was for me), you can still buy it from Gamersgate, but probably only today.
Paging felipepepe since he might need it for the CRPG book.
Interesting... I completely forgot about this game and that it was released in 2015 (so is still inside the book's 1975-2015 range).

It still sucks though.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
If this game was not an official D&D title, and was instead released by an indie "inspired by 5e", it would have been praised here. It's a problem of expectations. We thought it would be NWN3, for ill or good; it ended up being a much weaker effort of a game and it made clear we'll never see again a D&D title that truly tries to break previous boundaries.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I played this game until somewhere mid game when I stopped due to a bug they never bothered to fix. There are plenty of bugs the devs never bothered to fix. The storage chest in your camp actually makes equipment you "store" in it disappear? Hahaha hilarious, right? Didn't fix it.
The MMO style boss fight can't be finished because after an add phase the boss just doesn't reappear? Well, known problem... never fixed it etc. Clearly a case of piece of shit development team.

The interface is like babbys first user interface, the engine is a horrendous pile of garbage (unity?), the graphics are good tho, loading times are atrocious, the character system (is this supposed to resemble dnd5?) is like a greatly dumbed-down version of some random MMO. I mean, it wasn't entirely unfun and I guess I would have finished it were it not for the bugs. Worse than Dungeon Siege 3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom