Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is inXile better than Fagsidian? Do they make better games? Is WL2 less brain damaging than PoE?

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Wasteland 2 = banal shit boring

Pillars of Eternity = banal shit boring

Which is better and why?

Iznaliu

Arbiter
To show you how retarded you are, I will just let you read your own comment because it applies to you more than anyone.

You can replace a few of the phrases in Lhynn's description of PoE's system and they would apply equally well to any edition of D&D. It is unsubstantial fluff meant to make people who hate PoE feel good. Nothing more, nothing less.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
NWN shits all over PoE in terms of system design

Give me some of what you're smoking

Are you Sawyers favorite little concubine so he lets you shill here?

PoE has the WORST ruleset and some of the worst core-systems ever to be seen in a RPG, whereas Nwn simply used DnD 3.5 ED adapted for a video game and it worked
Nwn used dnd 3.0 you goat fucking autist

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected

PoE has the WORST ruleset and some of the worst core-systems ever to be seen in a RPG, whereas Nwn simply used DnD 3.5 ED adapted for a video game and it worked
Can you point out where the difference are between 3.5 and 3e? Are they relevant to NWN?

ArchAngel

Arcane
To show you how retarded you are, I will just let you read your own comment because it applies to you more than anyone.

You can replace a few of the phrases in Lhynn's description of PoE's system and they would apply equally well to any edition of D&D. It is unsubstantial fluff meant to make people who hate PoE feel good. Nothing more, nothing less.
See you don't understand anything. You don't even understand what you don't understand LOL

Lhynn

Arcane

Can you point out where the difference are between 3.5 and 3e? Are they relevant to NWN?
Hes right actually. There are a few differences, some feats got changed, some class features got changed, some spells were added. overall 3.5 made casters even more powerful while shitting on non casters.
Not that it matters, a hell of a thing to nitpick on.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
It is a rhetorical question. NWN and NWN2 have 3 and 3.5e and you can't tell the difference so easily. Considering both implement their rulesets grossly wrong.

Last edited:
I think the Nomads scene would've worked better if they chopped it into, say, a cluster of 4 or 5 smaller (and more abstracted) maps that you can fast travel between once you've gone through them, similiarly to how Fallouts city maps worked. No, I take it back, I don't think it would've been better, I'm sure it would've.

Agreed.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
MMO-grade power creep with weapon tiers,

Ah yeah. Much better in PoE where every weapon is essentially the same as any other. Fun for the whole family.

Uh, how should I reply? Play the game before you make ignorant statements?

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Weapon#Melee_Weapons

Everything same damage. Much fun.

Oh, except monk fists. :lol:

Perhaps play some good games first before making claims about the quality of PoE because I assume you're just another one of those "PoE was my first RPG therefore it's the best" kind of people.

Josh Sawyer is one of the industries' few serious RPG designers, who made a valiant effort to create a highly complex system from scratch and fulfilled all of his promises, but had to be cautious and conservative about his priorities.

lolol

So much butthurt that only a couple of autists and otherwise just clueless people "understand" Sawyer's greatness. It's very amusing.

Last edited:

Neanderthal

Arcane
Lately Obsidian ant been blowin me skirt up gents, Dungeon Siege 3 were alright but had a control scheme made to break your fuckin hands, South Park were a good adaptation but not really for me, Poe had good points but were mainly mediocre an really badly designed in several ways as well as feature sparse, an Tyranny were first game o theirs I ant bought just cos it sounded fuckin retarded. There seems to have been a decline since New Vegas.

Inxile I ant really cared for any o their games much, mediocre again.

Tl/dr: Meh.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
I'd rather replay Fallout: Tactics three times than touch the shit that was WL2 again. The memory of going through the endgame with completely naked characters because it made me pretty much immune to energy weapons still haunts me.

Chris Avelltwo

Scholar
So much butthurt that only a couple of autists and otherwise just clueless people "understand" Sawyer's greatness. It's very amusing.

You say that like it's an insult, but the fact is that autistic people are more intelligent than neurotypicals. Nikola Tesla and Einstein for example were autistic, and people thought they were retarded. Such is usually the case when it comes to geniuses - normal people easily mistake it for stupidity.

Also, for the record the weapons are not all the same. They do different types of damage (piercing, bashing, etc.) which is more effective against certain types of enemies than others. The weapons also have different speeds, range, and many other factors. But yes, they are designed to be perfectly balanced so that all are usable, but that doesn't mean they're equally effective in every circumstance, and there are of course different tiers. This also isn't even counting the unique weapons which stand out over other weapons in their category in some way. To say all the weapons are the same is extremely ignorant to say the least.

Gunnar

Arbiter

You say that like it's an insult, but the fact is that autistic people are more intelligent than neurotypicals. Nikola Tesla and Einstein for example were autistic, and people thought they were retarded. Such is usually the case when it comes to geniuses - normal people easily mistake it for stupidity.

Found the autist.

Chris Avelltwo

Scholar
But your post history is full of :retarded:

How about we discuss some of your recent post history; like how you said you would eat menstral blood. Do you think that eating menses makes you a member of Mensa? I assure you, it does not.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
They do different types of damage (piercing, bashing, etc.) which is more effective against certain types of enemies than others.

Like in what, 2% more effective?

Lulz

they are designed to be perfectly balanced

Moar like they are designed to be perfectly boring.

But yes, they are designed to be perfectly balanced so that all are usable

In fact the system should be designed so that the player can make different items usable (not necessarily in the same amount) through playing with the system instead of designing the items to play the player. Not something Sawyer or modern game designers (proud graduates of the game-design school) will ever understand, though.

Chris Avelltwo

Scholar
Like in what, 2% more effective?

A lot more than that. Each type of enemy has different resistances, check the in-game bestiary or look up on the Pillars wiki if you want to see for yourself. Some types of enemies like the Blights are actually completely immune to certain types of attacks, so certain types of weapons won't do any damage against them whatsoever. It also matters how heavily armored an opponent is and what kind of armor they're wearing. For example, a dagger or Greatsword is excellent against an unarmored or lightly armored opponent, but if they're heavily armored you'd want to switch to a stiletto or Estoc instead. That's one of the reasons to want to have multiple weapon sets on your characters because different enemies might require different tools to deal with.

This is also why regular swords are a pretty good all-round versatile weapon. They don't excel at anything but they are capable of both slashing and piercing damage, and it automatically applies which is the better damage of the two against enemies so you don't have to deal with as much micro-managing. But Sabres are better at slashing, and spears are superior for piercing, but they can only do that one type of damage.

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Weapon

You can see for yourself the pros and cons of all the weapons at this site. Some are fast meaning they do a lot of weak attacks, and some do slow but very powerful attacks, so there's a lot of variety to choose from. The weapon selection seems very elegant and well thought out if you take the time to look at it in detail.

Lhynn

Arcane
Too bad almost everything late game is heavily armored and stoc is the best weapon in the game for that reason.
The system is beyond retarded, stop defending it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom