Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Mechajammer (formerly Copper Dreams) - cyberpunk RPG from Whalenought Studios

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't like horror, in particular supernatural(*) horror, so I am a bit worried about this direction.

*ofc HPL is a different thing
rating_prestigious.png

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Well, what exactly is cyberpunk horror? Hopefully it's closer to System Shock than Cthulhu Hackers.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Got a chance to test the latest pre-alpha (after a 6 month gap). New movement system is great so far (pending fault testing) - Z-axis pathing is automatic!

Performance is also good for this stage of development. Latest build has locked vsync but FPS didn't go under 120 save for some occasional microstutter for garbage collection which will be cleaned up in later builds. (i7 4790K, 16GB RAM, HD7970)

Whalenought_Joe

Whalenought Studios
Developer
We actually had quite a bit of problems with the original humanoid — the exaggerated leg length made crawling/jumping/climbing animations really awkward. Characters are a quite a bit more squat now to accomodate movement. Still have the mammoth hands, but now include fingers!

I'm looking forward to the custom backer portraits. Will the hand size be customized too?

We're showing an example of the portrait in the update and starting to ask for them to get some on character faces for the alpha. Hand sizes are static, regrettably. Children are smaller though, so if you want small hands I can de-age you into one of them.

Well, what exactly is cyberpunk horror? Hopefully it's closer to System Shock than Cthulhu Hackers.

The mechanics and gameplay with the limited sight lends itself toward hunted/hunter type of scenarios and sneaking around, like Alien or something. Definitely more System Shock of the two in that way. Nothing supernatural or Cthulu oriented, that would sort of trivialize the mortal dangers present that are enough to kill anything.

grimace

Arcane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3SZ4lSvH9o

We're showing an example of the portrait in the update and starting to ask for them to get some on character faces for the alpha. Hand sizes are static, regrettably. Children are smaller though, so if you want small hands I can de-age you into one of them.

Sounds like the horror of a bio-punk setting.

How much has genetic engineering influenced Calitana? Can I still find an organic banana to eat?

ushas

Savant
Looking forward the update!

The mechanics and gameplay with the limited sight lends itself toward hunted/hunter type of scenarios and sneaking around, like Alien or something. Definitely more System Shock of the two in that way. Nothing supernatural or Cthulu oriented, that would sort of trivialize the mortal dangers present that are enough to kill anything.

I remember you have also hearing right?

Though, pardon me if already discussed, do you plan to implement in the character system any other combat psychology? I mean anything fitting the settings, there are many possibilities. Seems to me that well executed morale system can enhance some of the natural horror aspects in party based games...

I still remember how my grenadier dropped in panic pre-primed high explosive on x-com mission.

Or in this old game Shadow Watch, well it's TB though the principle of the morale they used can be more generalized - a unit's speed / adrenaline (action points in SW) is boosted by experiencing all sort of stressful things (hearing some sound, seeing an enemy, being hit/wounded, seeing a friend being shot...). It has a catch, there is a break point at which they will panic / flee or go berserk. The adrenaline then goes down if the situation is more calm (no enemy in fov).

One of the more comprehensive psychological models was implemented in Close Combat series, though that is probably too far off the course.

etc...

Whalenought_Joe

Whalenought Studios
Developer
How much has genetic engineering influenced Calitana? Can I still find an organic banana to eat?

Two of the syndicates were food providers for the colony, one dealt with purely engineered food and the other fishing. Organic gardens exist in some of the elite parts of the city but are well guarded.

In the tradition of the original Deus Ex, jacked up cyborg agents will largely be on a diet of soda and potato chips.

I remember you have also hearing right?

That’s correct, which there is now a visual radius for. There’s the 3d line of sight around your character indicating how far they can see, and then beyond that is another radius indicating where they could potentially be rolling to hear things. That’s also as far as the camera can pan. We go through all that and some combat in the update.

Though, pardon me if already discussed, do you plan to implement in the character system any other combat psychology? I mean anything fitting the settings, there are many possibilities. Seems to me that well executed morale system can enhance some of the natural horror aspects in party based games...

A progressive morale system like that is a really cool idea, I’ll talk to Hannah about it, thanks for the suggestion! We wouldn’t want it overlapping with the ailment system, but party/character morale could be integrated into it.

We currently have ailments dealing with psych in a few ways, like through chemical agents (can cause a number of gameplay/stat influencers) or in combat from taking on suppressing fire, so they get mentally more downtrodden through stacking those just like physical ailments.

Having characters roll against Focus/Mental Stability during dangerous situations would definitely add to the atmosphere and simulation through. Since players can be avoiding and ending combat through hiding, there would be a persistent danger inflicting fear/stress ailments during that time.

Aenra

Can someone explain to me what the combat is like? Explain though?
I read the trendy and sophisticated official title, including Sensuki's basically reiterating it in even more trendy sophisticated awesomeness, but that hasn't helped.

Maybe some comparison? Just so i get an idea, would appreciate it.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Essentially it's turn-based combat but once you execute a turn, the game continues in real time and people perform actions at the same time, although a bit staggered by how long their action will take in seconds.

Whalenought_Joe

Whalenought Studios
Developer
Essentially it's turn-based combat but once you execute a turn, the game continues in real time and people perform actions at the same time, although a bit staggered by how long their action will take in seconds.

We really need to come with a
trendy sophisticated
name for it.

Sorta Concurrent turn based?

Aenra — we'll have a demonstration of what it currently looks like for the next update, we shoot and pistol whip guards.

Aenra

Aenra — we'll have a demonstration of what it currently looks like for the next update, we shoot and pistol whip guards.

Thank you for replying Joe and Sensuki :)
Would be great to have some demo to actually see it, but i think i got it now.

So far, this looks like the one game i didn't back but should have. Will be a nice surprise if it really turns out to be so.

ArchAngel

Arcane
So what has broken today? Is this update going to be released before or after Grimoire?
Discuss.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
At last: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1649838104/copper-dreams/posts/1856072

Ruleset Upgrades for a Cyberpunk Horror Future

Hi everyone! Excited to finally be back with another update! We plan on having weekly updates until the alpha is out, detailing various aspects of the gameplay we’ve been working on. Our target is to get the alpha slice of the game out to alpha tier backers next month. We will keep you updated as we get close!

Speaking of alpha…

Character Heads!
Since we’ve refined what were doing with the art in the game, we’re going to start needing to put heads on characters, and who better but yours. We’ll need character heads for the agents you control as well as enemies and NPCs. For those in the applicable tiers, be on the lookout this next week for an email from us showing what to send in particular for the picture. We’d send out a survey but we only get one of those through Kickstarter, so we’re waiting to use that until later when we need addresses from everyone.

Soundtrack Examples
We wanted to showcase some of the more cheerful tracks we have in the game! A lot of tracks will focus on ambience to add to the horror vibe, but we wanted some standouts for particular situations:

Background point pool for Virtues, starting Skills, and Advantages / Disadvantages
Instead of just stat numbers, a lot of character output has to do with gameplay styles. We wanted to include more ways to have more interesting starting characters to mess around with. Anything from making your character deaf, unable to run, various phobias, 14 years old, and lots of other ways that are reflected in the mechanics and visuals. This allows you to create interesting characters for a lot of combat variety, and also test yourself to role play fairly flawed characters, mentally, physically, or with fairly suspect past choices in their life.

Having too low of Logic or being illiterate means all text in the game is garbled. We made all the text in the game dynamic so far as to make this full-stop:

55859fb930ab8f0bf5cb1569371947a4_original.png

Where advantages cost you background points during character creation, disadvantages will gain you some. Here’s our current pending list for these Advantages and Disadvantages as it stands now. Originally we were going to have pre-generated characters for you to use in the alpha, but we’ll now have a character generator like in the actual game where you can create your agents, so you can put these to the test.

Here’s a glimpse at some of the Gained, Advantage, and Disadvantage background traits:

8559cb20bc942f4c936700e18b16b167_original.png

Age also dictates maximum Virtue availability. These are rough numbers to get an idea of how these might influence the character:

f993126e761c5c7587a9651551219db9_original.png

Height Slice and Character sight and hearing visuals
Visualizing a character’s line of sight as the character is one of the overarching visuals driving gameplay and simulation — it’s an isometric glimpse into their first-person view. Your character’s vision is also driven by stats, poor eyesight has smaller visions than others, and if you get wounded in your face or an eyeball, you can lose out on part of that radius.

Since the original Kickstarter we’ve refined the visual for it to be more exact (it was also tile-based then). We’ve also added in an additional radius around your selected character that represents their maximum hearing range. This is the distance they’ll automatically be rolling to hear other NPCs, and is their maximum distance of influence in the game, as everything outside of it is black.

d90614e96f1ab68aa887503dcdefc9e8_h264_high.jpg

Movement and Combat Upgrades
Pathfinding returns, now with multi-locations during combat as well as automatic vertical navigation for you and NPCs!

da21fd7f36b9a166f5ac8108a406a083_original.gif

The increasing focus to deliver simulation is what has evolved the ruleset and gameplay. It’s of tremendous help being able to adapt these ideas to a bronze-age game and a futuristic one, we can pop these characters in to either universe and see how things would make sense. GURPS became an increasingly influential rulebook, and while things are wholly different in application, we hope to capture that spirit within the systems in the game.

We finished off combat iterations the past few months by enhancing the way players target and roll-to-hit with it, which ultimately led to an overhaul of the ruleset. You can now aim anywhere and roll under your skill with the item to determine how successful you were to getting to your target. All item or skill usages use that model now. Allowing you to aim for things in the environment that we don't outright tell you can make for more interesting puzzles or interactivity. Lights for example can all be shot out now:

ee7cdcfb91c4d9adb8ec82280323f1c8_original.gif

51adfba6b8c687e5b381f245d15bf609_h264_high.jpg

With a 3d world, thrown objects that bounce around, it seemed fitting to give the player some agency on where they are actually shooting. You no longer only attack targets, but can also attack anywhere you want, including where you expect targets to be as they are moving. If you do attack targets you can select which body part you’d like to try to shoot, and you’d track that body part until you fire or it’s no longer visible. Aiming for anything allows you to lead targets on the move or temporarily unseen (and thus unable to be targeted), or precise location to lay down cover fire for more than one target that might end up down the middle of a hallway or something.

Distance modifiers are no longer just static distance markers as with the original Challenge Target, but influenced by reference points around the projected line starting with nearest to the character attacking. This is all in-code in the game, but that sight-line checks for any nearby objects starting at the character and moves down to the actual target. So the idea for this is if you you have a reference for a target really far away, you can get visual bearings by aligning your shot with any nearby objects. For example aiming a burst fire into a clearing near the side of a building you hear an enemy running into would have that building act as the distance check, not the potentially infinite space behind it.

The crosshair for melee path for slash/thrust or your projectile line is your ideal hit location, and you roll to attempt to hit that location, regardless of or if you have a target in mind. Success means you hit that target precisely (in 3d space), and failure means you deviate it from a variable amount, so it’s considered a potential failure in most cases.

Wound penalties and visuals
Another way of indicating health status for player characters and enemies, we're adding various states of wounded movement and idling. In the alpha you’ll be limping around if you’ve taken on particular Greater or Mortal wound, which acts a visual that you’re damaged as well as an indicator that your movement speed has been reduced.

Going into the alpha, here are the current wound categories and all the stats they can influence:

b3a9fde22dd61b68ef71c5b491a8f1cb_original.png

Death and Undeath
4f1c074cc7538ec6e0e77317fae7281a_original.gif

This was mainly a challenge shift from try-until-you-win save scumming to that of enduring with your failures. As we design the final maps for the game, one problem we were coming across was the tedium of needing to find areas to try to save, and ended up basing that as essentially checkpoints where it would be heavily implied to. Redoing areas would also end up being tedious as we made Wound-counts lower as well, so we’ve changed the death penalty system for the better.

Our goal was to incorporate the feeling of being in-the-moment without the comfort of knowing you could just reload easily, but without starting the game over or needing to start over at a checkpoint. The solution was just letting your character die, keeping their wounds, and starting them at a safe place (TBD) to resume. The world remains as you left it when you died, and you would patch yourself up, rest, or press on carefully, as any other Wounds would again kill you. It's a wonderfully gamey system that allows you to progress through the game while perpetually being worried about character health.

Animations!
For a while now we’ve been testing with bargain-bin animations to get the job done, and we’ve just recently added in our custom ones and are they quite an improvement. In Serpent in the Staglands we were proud that each weapon type a character could carry had its own custom sprite sheet to go with it. It was another way we could cram some visual identity into those tiny characters. We’re doing the same for Copper Dreams, except with custom animations for each main item type with all different attacks per type. So while that’s a lot more animations, at least we don’t have to animate them in 8 directions.

Our existing system has a base of 110 animations for a weapon type, for instance a pole-arm vs a pistol. This doesn’t include individual reloads per type of weapon, or any unique or special humanoid animations for them, like hulking cyborgs who stomp around or small children who’d visually struggle looking down the sights of a 130 pound Coilgun. Those are fun to do and look at so they are a nice visual addition without much extra costs besides a cup of tea and a few hours. While all these animation speeds are driven by the ruleset and individual character stats these animations act as a general guideline. Nimble characters can jump or kick open doors faster than others, for instance.

Next: Storytelling (and more combat)
As we continue to develop the narrative for ‘Copper Dreams’ (and ‘A Banquet for Fools’) we were often hitting a conflict of interest between storytelling and game systems. Our last two updates detailed how our iterative process continued advancing our game systems, we thought it would be appropriate to explain how those systems influence the narrative as well.

Letting players know what tools they’ll have in a game and in every situation is a critical factor in any p&p or computer rpg, that’s why rulebooks are filled tables. What gets dodgy is when the narrative pigeonholes the player into situations they could have otherwise avoided or changed if they were allowed to just continue using their existing tools. Our next update we’ll show off the dialogue, NPC dispositions levels, tags, and how we’re getting player agency into what ’s normally very authored events.

If you have any questions let us know and we’ll either answer on here or get a video of it in the next update! Cheers!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom